News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

As an aside, I thought I would point out that although CityPlace residents tend to be given short shrift around here, ("the 905ers at Front & Spadina...") their ward appears to be the most Pro-Smitherman of them all.

Maybe it's time for y'all to make peace with the club kids? :)

If Pants hadn't went hard against Smitherman the last few weeks, it may have got Smithy 20,00 more votes. If Pants dropped out it probably would have got Smithy 60,000 votes. If Pants dropped out and endorsed Smithy, it may have got him close to what would have been needed, although some would likely not have voted for Smithy and stayed home ensuring Ford still won. If Pants/Smithy sat in a room together a month ago and figured this out, with Smitherman ensuring Pants he wouldn't gut the city, and Pants dropping out and endorsing Smitherman, it "could" have created the momentum needed to stop Ford, but it's hard to say.

The bottom line is that Smitherman could not have won this election. He got decent poll numbers when he launched based on name recognition and the strength of the Liberal brand in Toronto, and at the end by being the default anti-Ford candidate, but these numbers hid just how poor a candidate he was.

His biggest problem was that nobody liked him. Smitherman has only been elected to one of the safest Liberal seats in the province, and he has never had to develop the emotional connection to voters that winning candidates have. Joe's campaign spoke to a couple hundred thousand people over the course of the election, and we only found a half dozen people who were passionately pro-Smitherman. Ford had passionate support, as did Joe, Rossi, and even Thomson, but pretty much everybody who supported Smitherman did so grudgingly. From January until September Smitherman's support steadily slipped from 49% down to 22%. The more people saw of him the less they liked him.

From the outside it also seems that he ran a poor campaign. Municipal elections are won on the ground. Turnout is everything, and getting your people to the polls is essential. On election day Joe had people going door to door and stationed at polling stations across the wards that were important to us. We ran into a lot of Ford people at our stations in the suburbs, but I didn't hear a single report of Smitherman people doing anything besides handing out literature at busy intersections. Maybe we just didn't see them, but it seems like all campaign long Smitherman was mostly relying on robo-calls and advertising.

Except I wonder to what degree Ford is the populist 'likeable' front man to the real power behind the throne? to the extent that a Bush/Cheney comparison may be more apt than a Bush/Harper one?

My exact aurguement with a family member the day after the election. I suggested that the real power behind Ford, is an old Ford family friend, Mike Harris. My brother thinks I'm crazy. I think that there was probably a lot of input from Harris, especially around the point of sticking to a singular message. "Stop the gravy Train"! The "common sense revolution" lie worked for Harris. Twice!

I'm pretty sure Ford only appeared on Harper's radar after he won...

His strategists are now probably wetting themselves over the idea of possibly using the "Ford momentum" to capture a few North York/Etobicoke/Scarborough seats next election...

Interesting point. I wonder if the feds/Ontario Conservatives will wage bigger campaigns in Toronto/GTA now knowing the pendulum is potentially swinging? Could this mean more money and more election promises? subways?? This would also mean the Liberals would have to poney up too. Could the city finally be the beneficiary of a federal or provincial election campaign war? Every cloud has a silver lining!

It's possible, but I think both the provincial and federal Cons will realize after some quick electoral math that they only really need the 905 to win. And you don't need to make nearly as many spending promises to get the 905.

^yes. If you knew how anti drugs I am, you'd be surprised. I think those that even smoke one joint should be tossed out of the country. Dealers should be lined up and shot. Smokers (of cigarettes etc) should pay for their own healthcare problems. I've even got city streets named after me...that's how 100% Canadian/Torontonian I am.

Owning a home and having a job has nothing to do with being Canadian... I work with folks (homeowners, with jobs and kids) that barely know the language, disrespect our country's heritage and culture, and constantly say "back home it's so much better."

Last edited:
If you knew how anti drugs I am, you'd be surprised.

I would be surprised, since you bragged about being a drug dealer in a previous post.

I think those that even smoke one joint should be tossed out of the country.

Like your man, rob ford?

I've even got city streets named after me...that's how 100% Canadian/Torontonian I am.

You're not Canadian until you've had a street named after you ;)

Chances are good that your name is road, or street....but if it makes you feel good....;)

Rob Ford? George Smitherman? Ranking common liars out of 100, I'd give RF a 2 and GS a 1. (100 meaning the best and 0 the worst.) Both are disgusting human beings--as are all politicians and bureaucrats.

I'd argue you're not Canadian until you say "eh" at the end of every sentence.:D

Show me the post where I bragged about being a drug dealer? I never said such a thing.

Last edited:
I'd argue you're not Canadian until you say "eh" at the end of every sentence

I guess you're not 100% canadian then .

Show me the post where I bragged about being a drug dealer? I never said such a thing.

So, where would you rank yourself on your lying scale?

Back