News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Maybe rather than being defensive we should ask if there's some truth in the ads. Toronto is certainly dirtier and less civil than it used to be.

Is there actual evidence to back this up or is this just another case of

1350243.jpg

well, I live in Niagara and I love it here in my hometown as well as in Toronto! I think there seems to be a lot of petty over reaction going on here. I didnt see the actual ads but it sounds like they were probably done in in a light hearted way, though including any reference to crime was definitley in bad taste. Hopefully this whole issue fades away quickly. I know that a lot of foreign tourists do indeed visit both areas when they come to Southern Ontario. Even though we keep hearing about how US tourism is down throughout the whole region I still see dozens of US license plates everyday. And when walking around down by the Falls you can hear literally dozens of languages from around the world... lets all be friends!

Smitherman does seem to have a flair for throwing a tantrum... (thinking back to the new TTC headquarters issue) but I guess some people like that in a politician.

As someone who is also from Niagara, you have to realize as well that there are a lot of people who never go to or have never been to Toronto before. Before I moved here in 2007, my Grandpa hadn't been here since the mid-80s and my Mom had never been here. Well that's not entirely true, they had been to the Etobicoke and Scarborough Ice Sports and York U's arena... but you get the point. The perception of it being dangerous or dirty or whatever is somewhat prevalent because if the only news you really get from the city is the 1 minute blurb about crime or violence or urban decay that makes the news then that's what you're going to think about. Most people in Niagara have never been on a subway (or even public transit for that matter), nevermind having any interest in what our local news is filled with (something like Transit City or condo developments or the waterfront). And, if something happens at Jane and Finch, it might as well have happened on Queens Quay. Despite the city being massive and diverse, there are a lot of people in Niagara who have no concept of Toronto, what happens there and what it's like to live there. I certainly didn't until 2003 when my girlfriend started at Ryerson and I'd make my monthly trek down from Peterborough.

Now, does that excuse this ad? Not at all. i hope the people who came up with it know better, but for most Niagara folk, that depiction of Toronto is their perceived reality of this city.

The perception of it being dangerous or dirty or whatever is somewhat prevalent because if the only news you really get from the city is the 1 minute blurb about crime or violence or urban decay that makes the news then that's what you're going to think about.
Wow, you make people from Niagara Falls sound like real hicks! I really have a tough time believing this.

And I assume that they have newspapers in Niagara Falls, and are well aware that the overall crime rate in Niagara Falls is higher than Toronto.

Wow, you make people from Niagara Falls sound like real hicks! I really have a tough time believing this.

I can support this claim. My family moved out of the city to a town on the south shore of Lake Simcoe (about a 50 minute drive from downtown in good traffic) in the late '70's where, over the years they settled with their new families as they got married and had children. I visit regularly and I have to tell you many of their friends, neighbours and family view me with some interest as I live in Toronto. I have heard the same things stated above, many have never rode on a subway, some state that Toronto is dirty and crime ridden not to mention some make no bones about softly implying I'm nuts to live here. Some even work here! I can't recall ever meeting anyone who has never been here, but aside from occasional sporting events, theatre, concerts etc. it's not uncommon to get the impression that many are quite happy to avoid Toronto at most any cost.

And I assume that they have newspapers in Niagara Falls, and are well aware that the overall crime rate in Niagara Falls is higher than Toronto.

Note I said Niagara, not just Niagara Falls. And it's not that they're hicks. They just have no reason to associate (or want to associate) with Toronto.

Also, the best selling Toronto newspaper in Welland (or at least it was) is the Sun (hence the belief that Toronto is full of violence, urban decay, etc). Mind you, most people don't even buy Toronto newspapers since there's a daily in Welland, St Catharines and the Falls. And believe it or not, none of them provide Toronto news unless it's something really worth mentioning and they surely aren't doing comparables of crime rates. Or at least nothing that sticks with the populace.

For a place that's an hour-1.5 hours away, that is rather insular, and in a bit of a depressed state, why is it surpring that people down in Niagara have never been to Toronto? My brother hasn't been to Toronto and he's 24. I can name tons of people who have never been here or maybe have been here once or twice for something at the ACC.

But Toronto isn't even mentioned in the ad. All the ad does is invite people who need a break from the big city to spend a weekend out of it.

As a Torontonian, it doesn't offend me at all.

I mean, how else could they properly position it that would make Toronto happy?

"Although you have no reason to ever want to leave your fabulous, vibrant, multicultural oasis, if you ever do, come visit us."

Note I said Niagara, not just Niagara Falls. And it's not that they're hicks. They just have no reason to associate (or want to associate) with Toronto.

Also, the best selling Toronto newspaper in Welland (or at least it was) is the Sun (hence the belief that Toronto is full of violence, urban decay, etc). Mind you, most people don't even buy Toronto newspapers since there's a daily in Welland, St Catharines and the Falls. And believe it or not, none of them provide Toronto news unless it's something really worth mentioning and they surely aren't doing comparables of crime rates. Or at least nothing that sticks with the populace.

For a place that's an hour-1.5 hours away, that is rather insular, and in a bit of a depressed state, why is it surpring that people down in Niagara have never been to Toronto? My brother hasn't been to Toronto and he's 24. I can name tons of people who have never been here or maybe have been here once or twice for something at the ACC.
A lot of people living in towns around Toronto have no interest in the big city. I can attest to that, I live in one. What is plain stupid is the willingness of some folks to accept what they see in papers like the smuggier than thou Sun as the only reality. Let's face it, Toronto just can't get no respect. As a Torontophile, the national putdowns used to bug me , but now , when I hear a rant about the city I shrug my shoulders and make the mental note to move my next visit to Toronto a little closer on the calendar.

A lot of people living in towns around Toronto have no interest in the big city. I can attest to that, I live in one. What is plain stupid is the willingness of some folks to accept what they see in papers like the smuggier than thou Sun as the only reality. Let's face it, Toronto just can't get no respect. As a Torontophile, the national putdowns used to bug me , but now , when I hear a rant about the city I shrug my shoulders and make the mental note to move my next visit to Toronto a little closer on the calendar.

But, people down there don't realize that the Sun is basically a tabloid. Ya some do, but most don't. News is news to a lot of people down there. Most people down there buy the Sun because of its sports section, and they glance over the "news", but what they see sticks, if they're pressed to give an opinion. My family got the Sun until I was old enough and politically aware that there were biases in papers. Hell, I didn't even know the Star existed never mind the Globe. But, I read the Tribune everyday.

If you asked me at 15 years old if I would live in Toronto one day, I'd tell you you're crazy, why would I want to do that? It's just the mindset of people down there. They aren't being purposefully smug or harmful or anything.

But Toronto isn't even mentioned in the ad. All the ad does is invite people who need a break from the big city to spend a weekend out of it.

As a Torontonian, it doesn't offend me at all.

I mean, how else could they properly position it that would make Toronto happy?

"Although you have no reason to ever want to leave your fabulous, vibrant, multicultural oasis, if you ever do, come visit us."

LOL, too true! This ad wasn't even aimed at Niagara 'hicks' it was aimed at sophisticated and enlightened Torontonians which makes this reaction so painful to watch. You'd almost expect it if it were the other way around, a case of Toronto bashing Niagara, but then I guess that's just giving the Niagara hicks too little credit... like giving Toronto too much.

Toronto has nothing to worry about.
These are two very different cities, you can't compare.

Toronto is filled with hicks too. A girl I met recently spends all her life in north Etobicoke, goes downtown maybe once every two years. She hates Toronto. (416)

Conversely, imagine you're a farmer. You spend 18 hour days producing food for sub/urbanites. What do you do on your (rare) vacation--go to Toronto or visit family? In the winter--visit Toronto or go to the family trailer in Florida? In the summer--Toronto or weekends at the family cottage on Lake Huron?

Finally, what I find truly pathetic--folks who grew up in Toronto and end up buying a house in the Junction thinking they've "moved far away from home." lol.

Is Niagara region more sophisticated than the GTA? Well, they have vineyards.... :D

Last edited:
Although I do think jn_12's impressions are a bit too over generalized, there certainly is that element in the Niagara Region (I would suggest more so in the rural areas). But there is also a sophisticated cosmopolitan element here as well... I'm thinking of the people who work in the winery industry, upscale hotels and fine dining establishments etc that cater to more sophisticated tourists (those that venture beyond Clifton Hill). Personally I feel that I am quite well rounded and can get along with urbanites or hicks, business owners or homeless people. Though... I prefer the urban experience and I often find myself troubled by people who dont look beyond their immediate surroundings. I also find that Toronto has its own version of urban hicks... as UD would call them - suburbanites - that have essentially the same outlook as many suburban dwellers in Niagara.

When I was growing up we travelled to Toronto several times a year to enjoy the CNE, Ontario Place, CN Tower, concerts etc. I always found it very exciting to visit the big city and was starry eyed over the tall buildings. It wasnt until I moved to Toronto to attend college that I rode the subway for the first time and explored some areas outside of the tourist spots. I dont think that the outlook towards the big city is determined buy the fact of living in Niagara but is more dependant on your family and the experiences they provide to you as a child.

When I think of where I live, I most often think of the Golden Horseshoe and all the wonderful things it has to offer..

Last edited:
This faux controversy is exactly that. I can't think of one person in the city that was actually offended or even heard about the ad. Most Torontonians laugh this stuff off because, well, we're used to it. I suppose Smitherman just wanted to score some politico points and it'll backfire because he's picking an unfair fight.

The only reason I read about it was I saw the article by Marcus Gee in the G&M. I wasn't surprised he wrote it however, considering how much he despises the city anyway (I always imagine he'd be much happier moving the Mtl and working for the Gazette where he could print endless articles about how horrible it was to live in Toronto, how we're culture free etc.).

Back