News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The Tridel Store. Sometimes, I really get the urge to go purchase a new home at 4am, but alas, the condo sales centres never seem to be open at that hour. They could make a killing off people like me who make rash purchase decisions when drunk in the middle of the night.

Doesn't Cresford already do this? I figured that's how they got so many people to buy at BSN.

Speaking about a 24 hour city, a timely article about New York City at A transit system may sleep in a city that never does:

A transit system may sleep in a city that never does
By Benjamin Kabak

New York isn’t the city that never sleeps because John Kander and Fred Ebb once proclaimed it to be in a song. Rather, the New York is the city that never sleeps because it’s transit system never sleeps. It might require more patience, but anyone interested in traveling from Inwood to the Rockaways can take the same one-swipe, one-seat ride at 3 a.m. as they can at 3 p.m. That is the beauty of a city with a nightlife as vibrant as New York’s and with an economy dependent upon 24-hour transit service.

Michael Grynbaum of The Times published a piece this afternoon on just that theme. He examines the planned late-night bus service cuts and finds a few hard-working New Yorkers who will be very inconvenienced by the dwindling off-hours service options. One woman works as a projectionist at the AMC Lincoln Center movie theater and must get home at 2 a.m. to the Upper East Side. In July, the MTA will cut three of the four buses that run through Central Park, and Elaine Beverly will find her options severely limited.

Grynbaum offers more details on the impending cuts:
And while not all of the cuts will be devastating, they will reshape the rhythms of nocturnal New York, when buses and subways are already scarce and routines forged over many years can be tough to shed. Transit officials studied ridership patterns and considered the proximity of other public transportation options when deciding which bus lines to reduce or erase…

Ms. Beverly will lose both the M96 and the M104, which runs along the backbone of the Upper West Side. One alternative, the M10 along Central Park West, will also vanish, even during the daylight hours, and late-night Upper East Side bus service will be trimmed, if not eliminated…

The M86 crosstown bus, with 8.8 million annual riders, is the most popular of the five Central Park routes; it will continue to run at all hours. But the M79, with 5.9 million riders — and the only bus that reaches East End Avenue — will not run after 1 a.m., nor will the M66. (The M72 crosstown route already stops service at midnight.)​
The deaths of these lines will lead to problems for those who work at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell and Mount Sinai hospitals and longer commutes for every off-hours worker. “There are a lot of residents in the hospital who have shifts that end late at night,†Patrisha Woolard, a second-year resident at Mount Sinai, told The Times. “That would be horrible.â€

The real statement though on the service cuts came from a bus driver. Vincent Wright drives the only bus that runs the M96 route late at night, and he understands how bus cuts will impact the heart of the city. “This is a 24-hour city, and you can’t have a 24-hour city without a 24-hour system,†he said. “The taxi business is probably going to love this; they’ll throw a big party if all the cuts happen.â€

Some cabs may benefit, but many workers needing transit at 2:30 a.m. cannot afford expensive cabs. They need their one-swipe rides to places far from subway lines. They need their bus routes. They need their transit options, and soon the MTA may take it all away. The city that never sleeps may need to find a new way around town.

articleLarge.jpg

Good news: dance clubs across France can now stay open until 7 a.m.

Because partiers are heading instead to London, Barcelona, Prague and Berlin; Paris (and France) can now party till dawn.

Click on this link for the article.

New French decree: Party 'til dawn!
Follows Internet petition that warned that the City of Light has become "Europe's capital of sleep"
By ANGELA DOLAND, Associated Press

Just in time for New Year's Eve, a new decree from France: Let them dance 'til dawn.

Despite France's reputation for bon vivants sipping Champagne until the wee hours, aficionados have been complaining that nightlife, especially in Paris, is in decline.

An Internet petition warns that the City of Light has become "Europe's capital of sleep" -- and complains that musicians, DJs and partiers are heading instead to London, Barcelona, Prague and Berlin.

In a bid to bring them back, government proclaimed last weekend that dance clubs across France can now stay open until 7 a.m., later than has been allowed in many parts of the country.

For some partiers, it's a matter of economics.

"This way we can get our money's worth from the cover charges," said Elodie Bari, a 24-year-old preparing to spend New Year's Eve at the massive Macumba club near France's border with Switzerland. The club, with seven dance floors, has booked 10 DJs for the event.

In Paris, police frequently break up festivities after complaints from neighbors. Smoky drinking holes have become a thing of the past: A ban on lighting up in restaurants and bars went into effect two years ago.

The Internet petition, launched in October, has 14,000 signatures so far and asks authorities for clearer legislation -- and subsidies for soundproofing.

Until now, local officials had the power to decide how late clubs could stay open. That encouraged drunk driving, as partiers hopped in their cars and headed to areas where clubs stayed open later, the Synhorcat union for hotels, restaurants and caterers said.

Closing times were especially bewildering in Paris because they differed in the city's 20 arrondissements, or neighborhoods.

The new law clears all that up: Party till the sun comes up. It also requires nightclubs to stop serving alcohol an hour and a half before closing to cut down on drunk driving.

The union, which supports the changes, said early closing times led to binge-drinking in the streets. Binge drinking is a growing concern in France, where youths were traditionally taught to savor the fruit of the grape, not chug hard liquor.

Club owners were taken by surprise by the new rules.

Many big nightclubs, like the Rex Club in the heart of Paris, already close around 6 or 7 a.m. The club's director, Fabrice Gadeau, is unsure how the new hours will affect his business.

"Will people leave at 7, or will they leave at 5:30 when alcohol sales end?" he wondered. "This law came out of nowhere right before New Year's Eve."

France isn't the only country to experiment with the rules. Britain overhauled its drinking laws in 2005, allowing bars and clubs to apply for permission to stay open around the clock. The changes were supposed to cut down on binge drinking at closing time.

But three years later, the government acknowledged that keeping the bars open 24 hours hadn't curbed binge drinking -- and, in some cities, alcohol-related violence actually rose.

Hint, hint!

well.. im sure this next reply could probably be its own thread, but since this is here, may as well use it. I have been doing some research and found an interesting article. On the subway, in starbucks, the street, pretty much everywhere.. I have heard alot of "TO is like NY", "TO is as great as every other city out there", etc. Yes, Toronto has a few plus sides, but its minus sides are enough to single handedly make you want to move out and leave this melting pot behind. New York, Los Angeles, heck, even Chicago have SO much more to offer than Toronto and alot of things are FREE. You can go to many beaches in LA, weather is ALWAYS perfect, you can do alot of things free. New York has an amazing skyline which you can take the ferry to see (FREE). TO however. The beaches. Gross lake ontario trash. Take the ferry to center island at a cost. Crap weather. Rain/Wind/sleet/hail/anything you can think of. You pay for EVERYTHING here. Im surprised there is not a sidewalk tax that charges you to walk places. This city is ludacris. Even Rent. Though Manhattan Rent may be more expensive, I Pay 900.00 a month at Yonge near Wellesley for a 400sq ft studio. Currently there are studios and 1 bdrms in Santa Monica 2 blocks from the beach which is on the Pacific OCean (not the crappiest most polluted lake ever) with a balcony/ocean view for 1000.00 per month. Plus there are more opportunities there, jobs/people/things to do.. etc...

ANYWAYS... Im kind of rambling on here.. the article pretty much compares TO to NY.. its quite funny.

After looking at all the different possibilities out there. Toronto, YOU ARE OUT. There is way better in this world.

http://www.thesharkguys.com/2009/03/09/new-york-city-versus-toronto/

Comments +

Which leads to another question - why aren't you in LA, NYC, Chicago, etc if opportunities are so plentiful to take advantage of?

AoD

blah blah blah

That was a lot of rambling which seemed to have nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
I wish people like you would just leave already. A lot of us really love living here and have nice lives set up for ourselves. The only thing I don't like about Toronto is having certain people try to convince me that I don't actually like living here when I most certainly do.

Happy New Year, jerk.

Happy New Year, jerk.

Wow, good moderators you got on this site to let this go. I dont recall slandering any people in toronto, just the city itself and perhaps those running it. I guess the reference made in the article I linked about people here being cold is more accurate then I thought.

Furthermore, no one is trying to convince you that you dont like it here. Its simply an opinion, or critique if you will.

And yes, in my opinion there are better places. As well, Im sure others share the same opinion. You got people coming into this city from all over the world, you have to expect that to some, its just a stepping stone. Some may love it, others may not. Who knew that linking an article and sharing some of my thoughts of the city would get you so bent out of shape. If you feel so strong about your city, negative things being said about it should just roll of your back.

Wow, good moderators you got on this site to let this go. I dont recall slandering any people in toronto, just the city itself and perhaps those running it. I guess the reference made in the article I linked about people here being cold is more accurate then I thought.

Furthermore, no one is trying to convince you that you dont like it here. Its simply an opinion, or critique if you will.

And yes, in my opinion there are better places. As well, Im sure others share the same opinion. You got people coming into this city from all over the world, you have to expect that to some, its just a stepping stone. Some may love it, others may not. Who knew that linking an article and sharing some of my thoughts of the city would get you so bent out of shape. If you feel so strong about your city, negative things being said about it should just roll of your back.

Perhaps it's not what you said, but how you said it, that makes you come across as acerbic?

Wow, TOreality.....people like you.......never mind, I'm not going to say it but I offer you a one-way ticket to anywhere in the world if you promise to use it and never come back.

PM me for details.

Yes, I'm serious. The less people like you up in this town, the better.

That's pretty generous MTown, for your wallets sake I hope you don't do that often!

Not sure how anyone that has spent any time in Toronto hasn't taken advantage of one free thing the city has to offer.

Well I, as a soon to be new resident of Toronto, can't wait to get there! Seriously, I know everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but I just fail to see how anyone can't at least like Toronto, and more often than not love the place. All my friends are really jealous that i'm going over and on their visits to TO, I fully intend to make them even more jealous that they don't live in Toronto!

Guys, in all seriousness, you are so lucky to live in a place as nice as Toronto, so don't forget it. Let the negative ones go where the grass is apparently greener and see how long the honeymoon lasts.

Ranting and raving about the weather or the city's geography is pointless as we have no control over them. If they bother you so much than leave. Also, refering to Lake Ontario as a cesspool is plain stupid and I can only assume is ment to irrate rather merely to express an opinion.

I'm in London now :)

Having a great time, it's an amazing place.

But a city that definitely 'sleeps' - there's actually quite a lack of 24 hour places around here compared to home. I'm not focusing on clubs however, just shopping / eateries, so I'm not too sure about them.

Back