News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Ontario to release "stark" coronavirus data projections on Friday: Ford

Clarrie Feinstein | Apr 2 2020, 11:10 am

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said his government will share all available COVID-19 data projections tomorrow.

During Thursday’s press conference, Ford pledged that the data will be released on Friday, April 3, with the province’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Williams.

The data released will show “where Ontario was, where it is, and where it could be.”

“It’s going to be stark” he said, regarding the model he wants to present to Ontario.

“The information will be difficult for some to hear,” adding that the situation is “extremely, extremely serious.”

But he emphasized that all the data provincial officials have access to should also be made available to the public, in order for residents to be accurately informed.

The premier said that he wants to be transparent on “every single item we have.”

“The figures and models I see will be exactly what you see,” he said, adding “it’s going to be hard for some people to see.”

“People will see some really stark figures tomorrow,” he repeated.

Ontario to release "stark" coronavirus data projections on Friday: Ford

Clarrie Feinstein | Apr 2 2020, 11:10 am

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said his government will share all available COVID-19 data projections tomorrow.

During Thursday’s press conference, Ford pledged that the data will be released on Friday, April 3, with the province’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Williams.

The data released will show “where Ontario was, where it is, and where it could be.”

“It’s going to be stark” he said, regarding the model he wants to present to Ontario.

“The information will be difficult for some to hear,” adding that the situation is “extremely, extremely serious.”

But he emphasized that all the data provincial officials have access to should also be made available to the public, in order for residents to be accurately informed.

The premier said that he wants to be transparent on “every single item we have.”

“The figures and models I see will be exactly what you see,” he said, adding “it’s going to be hard for some people to see.”

“People will see some really stark figures tomorrow,” he repeated.

I'm generally in favour of transparency. But I question the value in releasing a series of models, none of which are proven (hence why there will be more than one) and which are more likely to induce anxiety, including symptoms than inform intelligent choices.

Toronto mayor calls for blitz as residents continue to access shuttered sports fields

Chris Fox Web Content Writer, CP24

Published Thursday, April 2, 2020 9:09AM EDT

TORONTO --Mayor John Tory says that he has asked Police Chief Mark Saunders to authorize a “substantial enforcement blitz” amid reports that many residents are continuing to openly flout the closure of sports fields, running tracks and other community assets.

The province has ordered the closure of all outdoor recreational amenities in an attempt to limit the spread of COVID-19 but there have been repeated instances of people violating that order, sometimes brazenly.

On Wednesday CP24’s cameras captured dozens of people accessing a running track at North Toronto Collegiate Institute by hopping over a locked gate. There were also hundreds of cars seen parked at Sunnyside Beach, despite the fact that the city had closed all parking lots at parks and beaches as part of an earlier order.

So, how are there cars parked at "closed" parking lots? Did the city bother to put any physical obstacles in place like jersey barriers so that they can't be accessed, or did they engage in the usual half-assed measures and once again place their faith in our undisciplined, selfish society to read and follow signage?

So, how are there cars parked at "closed" parking lots? Did the city bother to put any physical obstacles in place like jersey barriers so that they can't be accessed, or did they engage in the usual half-assed measures and once again place their faith in our undisciplined, selfish society to read and follow signage?

I genuinely like you, so I'll say this more nicely to you than I did the reporter who first posted that photo online.

Cars can't catch Covid.

There's not a single person in that photo acting irresponsibly.

Not one.

There is no evidence of anyone within 2M or less of any other person, nor even vaguely close to that.

I've been out walking every day this week. Which I need to for my health, both physical and mental.

Not surprisingly, I don't want to walk the exact same route each time, and have driven to other large parks where spacing would be easy.

I can count on one hand the instance of seeing people who were not obviously immediate family (parents, little kids) in close proximity.

This is not a real problem, for the most part.

Where it is a problem, is some grocery stores/LCBOs and such; and some very narrow sidewalks, near large volumes of people, either residents or essential workers, whose need is not to be scolded, but whose need it to have some road lanes closed so they have room to spread out.

Yes, there are stupid and selfish people out there; but they are a minority, stay more than 2M away from them, and wash/sanitize your hands after touching surfaces outside of your home, and you're good.

I stayed well back of the the threesome in line at the LCBO the other day, in front of me...........at least one of whom did not live w/the others.........and whose mental capacities were obviously wanting (she was discussing how awesome she thought she was because she's had her stomach pumped 3 times for alcohol poisoning. )

Worry about letting that one loose anywhere, anytime............don't worry about people going for a walk and maintaining social distance.

PS, closing the parking lots doesn't stop people.....they just park on the adjacent street.

I'm generally in favour of transparency. But I question the value in releasing a series of models, none of which are proven (hence why there will be more than one) and which are more likely to induce anxiety, including symptoms than inform intelligent choices.

Statistical modeling is a bit of a voodoo science. Perhaps the one value will be to scare straight the folks who simply aren't getting it.

I went for a walk and drive today (don't live in a city). I was a gorgeous day and, because yesterday was our first nice day, I overdid it outside and hurt myself so had to take today off. Besides, I was getting a little squirrelly. I went to a waterfall area and wandered around. A few other folks there enjoying things from their own distance. Part of it is Parks Canada and was taped off and everybody seemed to respect that. On my way home I decided to pick up dog food and something at a hardware store. Both places had you wait outside and they would bring the product to you. If you didn't know what you wanted you were SOL. I had planned to stop at the grocery store but there was a line-up (probably restricting numbers) and I decided it wasn't worth it. The wife has been taking advantage of the 'seniors' hours' early in the day and it seems to be working.

Medicago says coronavirus vaccine could be ready for human trial by July

Stephanie Hughes
Financial Journalist
Yahoo Finance Canada April 2, 2020

One of the companies on Ottawa’s list for $192 million vaccine development funding still does not know how much it will receive from the federal government, but says the money will help push its vaccine development from early testing to full clinical trials. Medicago, a private Quebec-based biotech company, says it has already received $7 million from the government of Quebec.

In an e-mail to Yahoo Finance Canada, Medicago’s chief financial officer Mike Warner explained the funding would be used for pre-clinical and human trials and to “expand laboratory space ... so that substantial quantities of the vaccine can be produced and delivered for the population.”

A press release from last week explained that the government funding would help push their team from pre-clinical testing to full clinical trials.

Medicago successfully produced the virus-like particle in COVID-19, an essential first step in creating a vaccine. This isn’t the company’s first shot at curbing pandemics. They developed a vaccine for H1N1 in 2009.

The company works with plant-based treatments to target virus contamination and limit its mutation. Human trials for the COVID-19 vaccine are expected to roll out by July or August, and Medicago is aiming to have a development program submitted to authorities by November 2021.

Other funding recipients include the Vancouver-based company, AbCellera. Its team uses advanced computers, lab technology and artificial intelligence to scan blood samples of patients who have recently recovered from COVID-19, to identify and isolate antibodies to treat and prevent the virus.

The University of Saskatchewan also received $23 million in federal funding for its Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization - International Vaccine Centre (VIDO-InterVac). The team behind that vaccine stated human testing could begin as early as this fall.

I was suppose to get married this october

What you guys think yeah or ney it will happen?

Congratulations on your impending nuptials. Whose the cradle-robber? LOL ( sorry, I had to)

Beyond that, in answer to your question, no one knows what the rules will be, and when, for sure.

The risk-management side is up to you and your significant other.

I find it highly improbable Weddings would be restricted come October, but if you haven't booked a venue, good luck getting cancellation insurance......at this point.

Congratulations on your impending nuptials. Whose the cradle-robber? LOL ( sorry, I had to)

Beyond that, in answer to your question, no one knows what the rules will be, and when, for sure.

The risk-management side is up to you and your significant other.

I find it highly improbable Weddings would be restricted come October, but if you haven't booked a venue, good luck getting cancellation insurance......at this point.
They said they wont refund but will change dates though if needed

85% of Canadian troops ordered into isolation to prepare for COVID-19 operations

BY MATTHEW FISHER SPECIAL TO GLOBAL NEWS
Posted April 2, 2020 5:58 pm

Nearly 60,000 of Canada’s 68,000 troops are now in isolation in advance of COVID-19 operations, Canada’s top soldier says.

Many of them have been ordered to do so to be ready to deploy across Canada to assist civil authorities to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, said Gen. Jon Vance said in an interview Thursday with Global News.

Others are on alert for critical operations such as the NORAD mission to defend North America with fighter jets or to prepare to assist governments with natural disasters such as springtime floods.

“The vast majority of troops — about 85 per cent — are not at their usual place of work,” Gen. Vance said.

“Their orders are to stay home and to stay healthy.”

I genuinely like you, so I'll say this more nicely to you than I did the reporter who first posted that photo online.

Cars can't catch Covid.

There's not a single person in that photo acting irresponsibly.

Not one.

There is no evidence of anyone within 2M or less of any other person, nor even vaguely close to that.

I've been out walking every day this week. Which I need to for my health, both physical and mental.

Not surprisingly, I don't want to walk the exact same route each time, and have driven to other large parks where spacing would be easy.

I can count on one hand the instance of seeing people who were not obviously immediate family (parents, little kids) in close proximity.

This is not a real problem, for the most part.

Where it is a problem, is some grocery stores/LCBOs and such; and some very narrow sidewalks, near large volumes of people, either residents or essential workers, whose need is not to be scolded, but whose need it to have some road lanes closed so they have room to spread out.

Yes, there are stupid and selfish people out there; but they are a minority, stay more than 2M away from them, and wash/sanitize your hands after touching surfaces outside of your home, and you're good.

I stayed well back of the the threesome in line at the LCBO the other day, in front of me...........at least one of whom did not live w/the others.........and whose mental capacities were obviously wanting (she was discussing how awesome she thought she was because she's had her stomach pumped 3 times for alcohol poisoning. )

Worry about letting that one loose anywhere, anytime............don't worry about people going for a walk and maintaining social distance.

PS, closing the parking lots doesn't stop people.....they just park on the adjacent street.

Fair enough, I appreciate the measured response.

Totally agreed on the need to close traffic lanes so people can walk with appropriate distance.

In my village in india ...

Locals have formed blockades on roads blocking access to outsiders into the village esepcially from the city and heard this is commonplace in many rural areas.

Crazy times

Back