News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I was suppose to get married this october

What you guys think yeah or ney it will happen?

Congrats!

My wife works at a now closed daycare, but is doing some work at another one that takes care of the kids of essential and front line workers.

I am sad to see Mount Pleasant Cemetery closed. My condo overlooks it and I did not observe any issues...but obviously others did:

Mount Pleasant Cemetery closing its gates due to lack of distancing amid pandemic

I am sad to see Mount Pleasant Cemetery closed. My condo overlooks it and I did not observe any issues...but obviously others did:

Mount Pleasant Cemetery closing its gates due to lack of distancing amid pandemic
I had to take the mother in law to the emergency dentist across from Mount Pleasant last week, and to kill some time walked the cemetery. It was way too crowded with people not respecting the 6 ft rule. What is it with people, don’t walk up behind others and then pass at a few inches. I can see why they closed it. I expect the Necropolis will close too.

Some internationally-trained doctors can apply for 30-day Ontario licence to fight COVID-19

Provision covering licences was triggered last month but few have applied for it so far

Nicole Brockbank · CBC News · Posted: Apr 03, 2020 5:00 AM ET

International medical graduates who've passed their exams to practise in Canada, or have graduated from school in the past two years, can now apply for a supervised 30-day medical licence in Ontario to help fight COVID-19.

The short-term licence, called a Supervised Short Duration Certificate, allows some foreign-trained physicians and domestic medical school graduates to practise under supervision at public hospitals, psychiatric facilities and Crown agencies.

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) began issuing the certificates last month — without announcement — by triggering a provision in existing provincial legislation.

So far, few doctors have applied. Although many likely don't know it's an option.

I had to take the mother in law to the emergency dentist across from Mount Pleasant last week, and to kill some time walked the cemetery. It was way too crowded with people not respecting the 6 ft rule. What is it with people, don’t walk up behind others and then pass at a few inches. I can see why they closed it. I expect the Necropolis will close too.

The challenge here is, those people, both the well behaved, and the not so well behaved don't disappear when the cemetery closes. You're controlling the supply of walking space (reducing it); but you're not reducing the demand.

Which means the remaining spaces, be they parks or sidewalks will be that much more crowded.

I can't support the closure because it will not achieve the stated goal; and will almost certainly increase disease transmission.

If a minority of people can't be persuaded to follow social distancing; there is equal illogic in public officials following strategies that are every bit as risky.

Reactions: DSC
91468970_10213259704766891_4814315170929049600_n.jpg

From link.

A story on the very real dangers of assertive police/enforcement action in respect of social distancing. Including the further spread of disease as a direct result.

This is a feature of extensive global trade (I hesitate to use the word 'globalization' since it is often spoken with a hiss); when the chips go down, the walls go up. There are obvious economic reasons why things are made offshore - including the US. It is obviously cheaper to make a mask in China and ship it than make it here.

Once the world returns to normal, I would hope Canada studies the strategic aspect of its manufacturing and supply chain. This is the stuff that is necessary for the continued functioning, protection and health of the nation, not whether we can get avocadoes in January. Strategic industries are usually thought of in terms of things like resources, banking, etc. to greater or lesser degrees around the world. For example, the US maintains a strategic petroleum reserve and procures virtually no military equipment offshore. Most national legislation and trade treaties include provisions to declare something to be of 'national importance'; it becomes a matter of what is on our list and our ability to defend it. Manufacturing and supply chains are easier to manage when they are domestic.

We could decide that N95 mask manufacturing is of national importance, but then it essentially becomes a subsidized industry and impacts the bottom line of the health care sector. Our $1.50 masks compared to $0.50 masks from China. In the afterglow of the pandemic everybody may think this is money well spent, but five years later when the Canadian Medical Mask Company and health care funding are under financial pressure, I'm not so sure.

i would guess now that 'personal data might not be one of the issues to get the Sidewalk Toronto at Quayside development here in Toronto off the ground

Google releases location data from billions to show if coronavirus lockdowns working

Alphabet Inc’s Google has published charts showing how the coronavirus has brought hard-hit Italy to a standstill, led to runs on grocery stores around the world and prompted a stark drop in going-out between Mardi Gras and St. Patrick’s Day.

The analysis of location data from billions of Google users’ phones is the largest public dataset available to help health authorities assess if people are abiding with shelter-in-place and similar orders issued across the world to rein in the virus.

The company released reports for 131 countries with charts that compare traffic from Feb. 16 to March 29 to retail and recreational venues, train and bus stations, grocery stores and workplaces with a five-week period earlier this year.

Google said it heard from health officials that the information could be helpful in making critical decisions to fight the spread of the virus. For example, “persistent visits to transportation hubs might indicate the need to add additional buses or trains in order to allow people who need to travel room to spread out for social distancing

More... https://globalnews.ca/news/6772663/coronavirus-google-tracking-data/

This is a feature of extensive global trade (I hesitate to use the word 'globalization' since it is often spoken with a hiss); when the chips go down, the walls go up. There are obvious economic reasons why things are made offshore - including the US. It is obviously cheaper to make a mask in China and ship it than make it here.

Once the world returns to normal, I would hope Canada studies the strategic aspect of its manufacturing and supply chain. This is the stuff that is necessary for the continued functioning, protection and health of the nation, not whether we can get avocadoes in January. Strategic industries are usually thought of in terms of things like resources, banking, etc. to greater or lesser degrees around the world. For example, the US maintains a strategic petroleum reserve and procures virtually no military equipment offshore. Most national legislation and trade treaties include provisions to declare something to be of 'national importance'; it becomes a matter of what is on our list and our ability to defend it. Manufacturing and supply chains are easier to manage when they are domestic.

We could decide that N95 mask manufacturing is of national importance, but then it essentially becomes a subsidized industry and impacts the bottom line of the health care sector. Our $1.50 masks compared to $0.50 masks from China. In the afterglow of the pandemic everybody may think this is money well spent, but five years later when the Canadian Medical Mask Company and health care funding are under financial pressure, I'm not so sure.

Indeed, these things are trade-offs.

Just like having the fewest hospital beds per capita in the OECD saved some money in the healthcare budget as we pushed everyone we could into homecare (or no care).

On the downside, a whole lot less surge capacity even for a routine flu; nevermind a pandemic.

In a thoughtful conversation, we must acknowledge that preparing for a worst-case scenario of every-type is untenable.

We could grow our own citrus in greenhouses all winter if we wished..........but that's no small sum of money for the assurance we'd be well fed if the U.S. winter food supply chain dried up for any reason.

On the other hand, there are clear costs to under-preparing.

We need to have a thoughtful discussion about what trades can/should be sustained.

What mix of strategic supply chains and/or stockpiles is appropriate; and which of these changes can/will be sustainable in the longer term.

New York makes plea for help after reporting its deadliest day from the novel coronavirus

Maria Caspani and Nathan Layne
Reuters
Published April 3, 2020

New York State braced for an onslaught of new COVID-19 cases next week after recording more than 500 deaths in a single day, bringing the total to nearly 3,000, or about the same number killed in the United States in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

New York City, the pandemic’s epicentre, has mere days to prepare for the worst of the novel coronavirus outbreak, said Mayor Bill de Blasio, whose city has suffered more than a quarter of U.S. coronavirus-related deaths. He pleaded for federal government help to end a shortage of medical staff and ventilators.

“I think somehow in Washington, there’s an assumption (that) there’s weeks to prepare,” de Blasio said on MSNBC. “There’s not weeks anymore. It is days now.”

The 24-hour death toll was 562, raising the New York State total to 2,935 fatalities, Governor Andrew Cuomo said. He said it was the “highest single increase in the number of deaths since we started.”

The Sept. 11 attacks killed nearly 3,000 people, most of them at New York City’s World Trade Center.

“Personally, it’s hard to go through this all day, and then it’s hard to stay up all night watching those numbers come in … and know that you’re in charge of the ship at this time,” Cuomo said.

De Blasio is asking for 1,000 nurses, 150 doctors and 300 respiratory therapists as the number of COVID-19 cases in the city is expected to rise sharply next week.

New York City has yet to receive a resupply for the up to 3,000 ventilators needed by next week, de Blasio said, urging President Donald Trump to mobilize medical personnel from the U.S. military.

Back