News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Another spike as 460 new cases were announced today. Fourth consecutive day above the 400's.

I can’t see us getting to lower than 300 cases a day until we have a vaccine. People have reached peak social distancing now, so this is as good as it gets.

Last edited:
They should give people a choice. Groups of 5 from the same household or large gatherings WITH proper PPE.

Make gatherings legal with proper protection. This would give people the ability to see friends and family and not give them a leg to stand on if they don't wear a mask.

Think of it like a compromise.
I think realistically you can see a few friends—if you’re careful. I ran into someone I know while out for a walk. We chatted for 15-20 mins while staying more than 2 metres apart. I delivered some groceries to my aunt. We chatted too outside, again while staying more than 2 metres apart. It probably comes down to whether the government can trust people to do the right thing. But I see some people’s behaviour, and it’s so disheartening I think: “yeah I can kinda see why the government thinks we’re all idiots.”

I want to also add: in New York’s Domino Park they placed large hoops on the grass 6 feet apart to show people where to sit. Maybe this is something Toronto Parks could do. A very clear visual of 2 metres could be helpful.

Wonder if our leaders are prepared for a 2nd wave because they weren't prepared for the 1st one. I hope they learned from their mistakes.

The jackasses who conduct themselves like the people at Trinity Bellwoods will ruin it for many people. They literally do not care if they pass the virus on to someone who's at risk.

The higher cases is one thing. It's more about where they are (ie: senior home) and what the ICU numbers are looking like. If they remain steady we're OK. If they spike then the system can get overwhelmed and another lockdown will happen.

People have to be smart and think about others, not just themselves for once. In today's climae of I, I, me, me that may be a very tall order.

Wonder if our leaders are prepared for a 2nd wave because they weren't prepared for the 1st one. I hope they learned from their mistakes.

The jackasses who conduct themselves like the people at Trinity Bellwoods will ruin it for many people. They literally do not care if they pass the virus on to someone who's at risk.

The higher cases is one thing. It's more about where they are (ie: senior home) and what the ICU numbers are looking like. If they remain steady we're OK. If they spike then the system can get overwhelmed and another lockdown will happen.

People have to be smart and think about others, not just themselves for once. In today's climae of I, I, me, me that may be a very tall order.

i doubt there will be a 2nd lockdown and if there is i see the same people breaking the rules anyways.

Another spike as 460 new cases were announced today. Fourth consecutive day above the 400's.
For me, the total number of new cases is less relevant than the total of new Covid19 related ICU/Emerg admissions and deaths.

According to https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-ontario-is-responding-covid-19#section-0 there are 878 Covid19 hospitalizations, of which 148 are in ICU. There’s no trending info or tracker provided. It is this info we want to track.

According to the CBC tracker Ontario’s at an average of 41 Covid19 deaths per day since May 1st. This is about the same average as the month of April, 39 deaths per day. The last two weeks in May have so far seen an avg of 31 dead Ontarians per day.

So, given all the social distancing and precautions we’ve had in place since March, I’d say we’re going to have to live with about 35 daily deaths in Ontario until we get a vaccine. It will be interesting if deaths spike due to reopenings.

Last edited:

LTC's account for 19% of cases.
Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 12.25.51 PM.jpg

41% of cases are people 60 and over, so the majority of cases are people under 60. The majority of deaths are older people, however. But what this doesn't address is the ongoing health issues of people, which we are only just beginning to see and we don't yet know all of the impacts on various organs etc.
Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 12.27.22 PM.jpg

Lots of numbers here (where the screencaps are sourced): https://files.ontario.ca/moh-covid-19-report-en-2020-05-24.pdf

For me, the total number of new cases is less relevant than the total of new Covid19 related ICU/Emerg admissions and deaths.

According to https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-ontario-is-responding-covid-19#section-0 there are 878 Covid19 hospitalizations, of which 148 are in ICU. There’s no trending info or tracker provided. It is this info we want to track.

According to the CBC tracker Ontario’s at an average of 41 Covid19 deaths per day since May 1st. This is about the same average as the month of April, 39 deaths per day. The last two weeks in May have so far seen an avg of 31 dead Ontarians per day.

So, given all the social distancing and precautions we’ve had in place since March, I’d say we’re going to have to live with about 35 daily deaths in Ontario until we get a vaccine. It will be interesting if deaths spike due to reopenings.
Cumulative data, not trending info.
Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 12.31.56 PM.jpg

Coronavirus: Doug Ford says anyone who wants a COVID-19 test in Ontario will be able to get one

From link.

Premier Doug Ford announced that asymptomatic people can get tested for COVID-19 on Sunday, as cases continued to mount in Ontario and officials criticized thousands of people crowding in a Toronto park.

The premier said mass testing is the province’s best defence against the virus, and said the only way for the province to reach testing capacity is for people to go to provincial assessment centres.

“If you are worried you have COVID-19, or that you’ve been exposed to someone who has COVID-19, even if you’re not showing symptoms, please go get a test,” Ford said during a televised speech on Sunday.

The messaging is a marked change from earlier Ministry of Health guidelines for the general public, which said that only people displaying one or more symptoms of the novel coronavirus should be tested.

Ford also said a new detailed testing strategy targeting specific sectors will be unveiled next week.

The announcement comes as cases continue to mount in Ontario, with 460 confirmed cases reported on Sunday and 25 deaths related to the virus.

The province now has 25,500 confirmed cases, which includes 19,477 resolved cases and 2,073 deaths.

The Ministry of Health said it completed 11,383 tests yesterday, which is still well below the province’s capacity of 21,000 tests per day.

Meanwhile, the premier criticized Torontonians who flocked to a popular downtown park on Saturday.

City officials said thousands of people were at Trinity Bellwoods Park flouting physical distancing rules.

“I thought it was a rock concert in the beginning when I went out there, I was in shock,” said Ford.

“I get it, its a beautiful day out, everyone wants to get out and have a great time … but the images I saw, we just can’t have that right now, its just too many people too close.”

Toronto Mayor John Tory said more police officers and by-law officers were to be at the park Sunday to make sure the city’s message on physical distancing is known.

With more testing, I would expect to see more positive results (consisting in or characterized by the presence or possession of features or qualities rather than their absence).

Back