News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

To be fair, one's gotta piss somewhere.

Yesterday at The Pinery all the washrooms were locked shut even though the park is open for day use. What's the point of that? I had to piss on the washroom instead of inside it.

Well its interesting I went for a drive into Caledon Hockley valley and forks of the credit with my fiance today.

The park areas were all closed but people parked on the side of the roads and people still walked in... I would say Peel has kept the parks closed for a reason or the crowds be insane.

I think a lot of people should go for a drive...take food along or do drive-thru and use gloves when putting in gas.

Seems way safer and enjoyable than gathering with 1000s of people in a park.

Yeah, I've been well out of town the last two Saturdays. North, West...and this Saturday I'll be heading east. Probably to somewhere north of Kingston.

I'm dying here in Parkdale....though only slightly more than usual.

Tory was also caught at Trinity on Saturday:

His distancing was incorrect; but otherwise there is no science in support of a mask outdoors. Shrug. The only problem here is being caught being self-righteous and hypocritical.

Looks like "several" fines were handed out for that. These are likely the same entitled douchebag type of idiots that do so on Friday/weekend club nights and cause disorder along Queen West and downtown.

I'm challenged by this.

While I can't imagine putting myself in this postion on purpose (though we've all had our moments of desperation/illness)

I also can't sanction the failure to open public washrooms; especially when restaurants/fast food places whose washrooms are normally a fail-safe for many are closed.

Closing washrooms does not stop the need to go.

It just changes where people go.

Entirely likely that at least some of this owes to drunkenness and disrespect.

But since there may have been nowhere else to go.............(sidewalk?, middle of park in front of everyone?) right, all bad choices.......

Not ok........but entirely predictable.

Things are getting odd...

in my local suburban parking lot, teens and people in 20s drive cars and meet in the parking lot and if they are outside the cars they are well over 6 feet apart.

Yet people still calling cops on them....

Coronavirus: Americans flock to beaches on Memorial Day weekend

Americans have flocked to beaches and lakes for Memorial Day weekend, often flouting restrictions imposed to tackle the coronavirus outbreak.

In Florida, state police dispersed an unauthorised gathering of hundreds of people in Daytona Beach on Saturday.

In Missouri, bars at the Lake of the Ozarks were packed with revellers, who violated social-distancing rules.

US coronavirus task force chief Dr Deborah Birx said she was "very concerned" after seeing such scenes.

"We really want to be clear all the time that social distancing is absolutely critical. And if you can't social distance and you're outside, you must wear a mask," Dr Birx said on ABC's This Week on Sunday.

Ontario to announce new testing strategy to target asymptomatic people in high-risk groups

Ontario is creating a new strategy to test for COVID-19 in asymptomatic people in high-risk groups, including first responders, taxi drivers, workers in meat-packing and auto plants, and school-aged children, in order to figure out where the virus is spreading and how to get it under control.

The province, facing growing criticism for its pandemic response as the number of new cases climbs daily, is set to announce the new testing strategy this week. It’s a significant move that will see Ontario shift part of its testing resources into a detective-like mode, searching for asymptomatic COVID-19 carriers in groups that have a higher likelihood than the general population of transmitting the illness to others.

Ontario to announce new testing strategy to target asymptomatic people in high-risk groups

Ontario is creating a new strategy to test for COVID-19 in asymptomatic people in high-risk groups, including first responders, taxi drivers, workers in meat-packing and auto plants, and school-aged children, in order to figure out where the virus is spreading and how to get it under control.

The province, facing growing criticism for its pandemic response as the number of new cases climbs daily, is set to announce the new testing strategy this week. It’s a significant move that will see Ontario shift part of its testing resources into a detective-like mode, searching for asymptomatic COVID-19 carriers in groups that have a higher likelihood than the general population of transmitting the illness to others.

I take no issue whatever with testing high-risk groups.

But in terms of assessing where Covid is in the community and where we are on the proverbial curve its not that useful, especially in isolation.

What we need is randomized tests (which can include a listing of a person's profession, and postal code); and serology tests (also random).

These would reveal a much clearer picture.

We again need to remember, every modelling exercise assumes Covid will be pervasive at about 12 months, likely not much less than 50% of the population, and potentially into the herd immunity range of 70%.

The question isn't really about stopping the spread of Covid (pre-vaccine); its about managing it; and its impact on hospitals and on vulnerable populations.

To do that, you need to have an idea where on that 12-month curve each area finds itself.

You need to contrast that with demographics, and the situation in local hospitals.

Where is North Bay on that chart? Are its local seniors homes in outbreak? What capacity is in place at the local hospital? What's the rate of infection/exposure among school-aged children (most will not get sick, but may act as vector).

This can inform which kids can see grandma and grandpa; who can visit their folks in the Long Term Care home; and who can go to work at the Meat Packing Plant.

But we need the serology (antibody test), not just the active virus test!

We have to be prepared that we may never have an effective vaccine. There’s no vaccine for HIV, HCV, rhinovirus, norovirus, Dengue virus, genital Herpes, HSV, EBV and CMV, for example. Dengue is a nasty one where any attempt at a vaccine would make the disease worse.

Back