News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

W.K.Lis, you are correct but that kind of thinking is why we are going to see surges here just like the US. Inflexible dogmatic obtuse thinking (I mean not you, our society in general).

Different kinds of problems require different philosophical approaches. The primary thing you learn when you take up a profession is not the specific technical details or knowledge it is a certain paradigm of problem solving.

This pandemic is not a regular kind of social problem, it’s an all out war requiring all-out war thinking our political apparatus is philosophically unprepared to understand how to apply. It’s not an all-out-war because it’s an existential threat, it’s a war because by definition we decided to apply all-out-war resources to it not seen since WWII.

By the way, we are claiming victory in the war but really it’s just the first battle and I think the virus actually won that round. Why? Because it survived our first assault and through attrition drained our resources and resolve.

1595098514881.png

When listening to medical people interviewed, these are tough calls they have to make. Since it was deemed non-essential, would it have been bumped anyway because someone with "more" essential needs was given the surgical time? What was the risk of catching COVID and dying anyway? They're working on the best information they have at the time, and sometimes they make the right decisions and sometimes not. I do know other people who have had surgery and treatments during all of this, but when you see something like this, it's so sad, and there are so many "what ifs".

When listening to medical people interviewed, these are tough calls they have to make. Since it was deemed non-essential, would it have been bumped anyway because someone with "more" essential needs was given the surgical time? What was the risk of catching COVID and dying anyway? They're working on the best information they have at the time, and sometimes they make the right decisions and sometimes not. I do know other people who have had surgery and treatments during all of this, but when you see something like this, it's so sad, and there are so many "what ifs".

I know of someone here in Ontario getting a pacemaker put in next week, so it definitely varies

AoD

More people dying from avoid emergency room and doctor offices and getting surgery delayed then from Covid 19 in Canada now.

I am not saying we relax on Covid 19, but we need to get the health system opened up again.

^The health system and all systems would be opened up a long time ago if leadership got things done. The difference between effective leadership and ineffective leadership is not incremental, it’s order of magnitude. It’s not 25% it’s 10 or 100 times.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5655124

Article on mobile testing. Finally, but what could Toronto public health possibly have been doing all this time. Many international jurisdictions even those with limited financial resources had end-of-street and door-to-door testing up and running within weeks. The delay asides from the human toll is costing us hundreds of billions of dollars.

Anyone figuring what is going on about should people from GTA visit the North?

cause I went up north and all the local businesses were happy for the business and all the parks are wide open to use.

However i read articles about cities wanting to ban out of towners...

The problem is people are bored and cant travel so they will likely hop in a car for 1-3 hours and visit the local province.

Plus I have yet to see any evidence of outbreaks coming from beaches and parks.

Last edited:
However i read articles about cities wanting to ban out of towners...

It's the generic media "two sides to every story" bit. They'll find that one person who doesn't like something, or anything, and give that one person an equal platform to everyone else.

Somewhere along the line, the goal switched from flattening the curve, to minimizing the number of dead. Thanks to the Wayback Machine and the Coronvirus website, I checked Canada and USA performance. First, there are always bad pockets in both countries, so we have to take the overall numbers with some caution.
  • USA rate of death (chart is number of deaths per Million in the half month) is about 2X Canada.
  • USA peaked a bit earlier than Canada, which is bad as treatment knowledge worse early on (still not the greatest).
  • It appears that USA numbers look like a country that was flattening the curve, while Canada was trying to minimize deaths. If a vaccine is around the corner, Canada's approach is very wise. If the vaccine is years away, one wonders what economic cost Canada paid (and will continue to pay) to try driving the deaths to zero - and whether at some point Canada will have to open things up and the deaths begin to climb again.
  • The point made by @Jasmine18 about people dying of other causes exacerbated by COVID lock downs (i.e. cancelled elective surgery, general fear to go to doctor/hospital for a condition that is now silently worsening, suicide, etc.) is valid, but I wouldn't have access to the data to meaningfully quantify this.
  • Currently, the death rate (cumulative) is still about a factor of 2, with Canada at 234 /M and USA at 432 /M (actually 85% more). This has gone from ~85% more in mid-May, to 65% in mid-June, to 85% in mid-July.

1595161634820.png

Late July is extrapolated based on 4 days data.

Last edited:
It's the generic media "two sides to every story" bit. They'll find that one person who doesn't like something, or anything, and give that one person an equal platform to everyone else.

Between the Anti Maskers and The Doomers is pretty much the media narrative.

I just got this from a friend who works at a resort in Brazil. Keep in mind Brazil is still having issues with Covid.

I hate to say it but being crammed so close together I'm not surprised they have an out of control situation there.

IMG-20200719-WA0000.jpg

Back