News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

2 passengers who flew out of Phoenix to Toronto test positive for coronavirus, city officials say

Posted: 2:37 PM, Mar 09, 2020

PHOENIX — Sky Harbor Airport is taking extra precautions after it was discovered that two Canadian passengers who flew out of Phoenix to Toronto last month have tested positive for coronavirus.

The passengers traveled on a WestJet flight on February 28, officials said.

According to a City of Phoenix spokesperson, "WestJet is working with health officials to contact all passengers, crew members, and Sky Harbor management to be proactive with this latest information."

Why did it take that long? WTF?

It's probably a purely business decision - as to the WTF, what you should truly be nervous about is the US (and our coming March break). The traffic volume alone would make other airline routes pales in comparison - and they have a really, really poor handle of spread in the US right now.

AoD

It's probably a purely business decision - as to the WTF, what you should truly be nervous about is the US (and our coming March break). The traffic volume alone would make other airline routes pales in comparison - and they have a really, really poor handle of spread in the US right now.

AoD

I just flew into Pearson yesterday. The Customs area is SCARY. So many people grouped together. This thing is going to spread because I fear we are not taking things seriously. Customs asked 1 question "Have you been to Wuhan?"....and that was it.

I just flew into Pearson yesterday. The Customs area is SCARY. So many people grouped together. This thing is going to spread because I fear we are not taking things seriously. Customs asked 1 question "Have you been to Wuhan?"....and that was it.

At this point with so many destinations having cases it is almost pointless to ask. This thing will spread because you don't have a good chance of stopping it short of taking extremely intrusive measures (I mean, you're still able to fly in afterall).

AoD

Last edited:

Taking the subway/streetcar at rush hour had me thinking the same thing. All those people crammed so close together.

Over in NYC avoid public transit if possible.

My summer job in university from 1991 to 1995 was as a customs inspector. I remember folks with passports in their mouths, snotty nosed kids and coughing blue hairs. By the end of my term there and after numerous colds, flus and whatnot, my immune system was near invincible.

I get the annual flu shot that covers whatever strain is predicted to hit Canada, but I still caught another strain of flu in Hong Kong in 2018. But it gave my immune system a good kickstart.

My summer job in university from 1991 to 1995 was as a customs inspector. I remember folks with passports in their mouths, snotty nosed kids and coughing blue hairs. By the end of my term there and after numerous colds, flus and whatnot, my immune system was near invincible.

I get the annual flu shot that covers whatever strain is predicted to hit Canada, but I still caught another strain of flu in Hong Kong in 2018. But it gave my immune system a good kickstart.

Funny enough, I haven't gotten my flu shot since I was a kid (I'm assuming). I can't recall ever catching it as an adult. I've had bad colds but never the flu. I do wash my hands a lot though.

UK Health Minister Nadine Dorries tests positive for coronavirus — reportedly first became seriously ill on *Friday* and has been in contact with hundreds of people since, including the UK Prime Minister.

Latest positive coronavirus patient attended large Toronto mining conference, prompting warning to 25,000 attendees

CARLY WEEKS HEALTH REPORTER
PUBLISHED MARCH 11, 2020

Ontario has identified what appears to be its first instance of community transmission of the new coronavirus in a man who attended a major international conference in Toronto last week. The case is significant because it suggests the virus could be circulating undetected in more people in the province and beyond.

Public Health Sudbury and Districts, which posted details of the case online Tuesday evening, said a man in his 50s tested positive for the virus after returning from the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada’s conference in Toronto. He attended the event on March 2 and 3. The annual PDAC conference is billed as the largest mining conference in the world and organizers say it attracts 25,000 attendees from more than 130 countries.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke at the conference March 2.

Back