News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What I meant more is when people see italy in lockdown that would raise the anxiety in other western nations.
Speaking to friends and relatives, basically all of Europe is in public freakout mode. Really, it is just North America that is being blasé about this (now officially) pandemic.

Just today, Poland announced closure of all schools, threatres, community centres, etc. and they have less cases nationally than we do in Toronto alone.

Perhaps it is the right call though, given how this thing is spreading in a predictable pattern:

1583947104227.png

India bans all tourists as of march 13

Canada is nowhere near mentally ready for what may come to pass

We are a kind but soft people.

Last edited:
We are. Look how long it took to ban flights from China. About a month ago anyone who suggested banning flights was labelled a "racist" :rolleyes:

And the US banned entry to non-citizens who had been to China, and where are they now? It’s pretty clear the policy doesn’t work well - and worse, gives a false sense of security.

AoD

Last edited:
first case of Corona in Ottawa. my brother works with the guy, if he is tested positive ill have to do the test too. :(

I don't think they are testing everyone who comes in contact with someone. Even with the doctor at Juravinski, they are advising patients to monitor for symptoms and self-isolate, but I don't think they're all getting tested -- and they are a vulnerable population. A friend of mine is one of the organizers of the mining convention that was held this past weekend with an attendee testing positive -- there was plenty of hand shaking and contact with attendees -- and she hasn't been asked to take the test.

WestJet is suspending flights to cut capacity by 12 per cent. Experts predict Air Canada will take a $1.4 billion earnings hit.

Calgary-based WestJet Airlines Ltd. said Wednesday that it has taken immediate measures to mitigate “dramatic” effects on its operations, including freezing hiring and discretionary spending as well as offering voluntary departure packages to employees among its roughly 14,000 member workforce.
The company in a statement said it would not speculate on additional steps that may be needed in a rapidly changing environment.

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...a&utm_campaign=&utm_campaign_id=&utm_content=

I am wondering if our government would be willing to close our border with the United States, considering how inadequate the response has been so far south of the border. Italy has set aside 25 billion euros to fight this, to put into perspective the billion Trudeau announced. All I know is I'm working from home from now on - my business partner has COPD and I have a 67-year-old diabetic husband. Not waiting for the government to tell me what to do.

Rather then banning travel

Just suspend all Visas from certain countries.

That will not help at all. What happens when someone from a permitted country gets sick. They need to ban travel in and out of the country to prevent disease as best possible. Create designated centers for treating the sick to manage exposure and burn the bodies of those who die of the disease to prevent the spread.

Picking and choosing who to ban won't help in these situations, you need a blanket lockdown and proper management.

The problem is politicians only think of their own asses when it comes to these sorts of things. They care about stopping the spread of the disease as long as it does not cost them re-election.

That will not help at all. What happens when someone from a permitted country gets sick. They need to ban travel in and out of the country to prevent disease as best possible. Create designated centers for treating the sick to manage exposure and burn the bodies of those who die of the disease to prevent the spread.

Picking and choosing who to ban won't help in these situations, you need a blanket lockdown and proper management.

The problem is politicians only think of their own asses when it comes to these sorts of things. They care about stopping the spread of the disease as long as it does not cost them re-election.

No country in the world applied a blanket ban - other than North Korea, which I would hardly consider to be a country with reasonable best practices. It is pretty clear at this point that you can only slow - not stop - the spread of the disease - and the latter requires a decent ground game in public health.

AoD

Back