News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

John Tory just went into self-isolation.He was in the UK and has no symptoms, but is still following protocol.

CBC News Alerts

@CBCAlerts

·
23s

Toronto Mayor John Tory is self-isolating after returning to the city after a trip to London on city business. He says he feels great but is following the advice of Toronto's Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Eileen de Villa, to all city residents.

I feel like this is the wrong call.

What with forcing parents to take time off, due to school closures and childcare closures, there is a need for people to be able to circulate some in the course of 3 weeks (or more)

I think they would be better off expanding hours, but capping capacity; and encouraging online ticket purchasing so as to minimize lines.

Online purchasing could also create time-specific tickets; ie. good for Tuesday, 12pm-3pm. So as to help manage loads/crowd density.

They aren't an essential service, they made the right call. Better to be safe than sorry.

What is the feasibility of Trudeau shutting down the border to Americans apart from freight.

I actually think this is not a bad idea.

They aren't an essential service, they made the right call. Better to be safe than sorry.

Agreed- social isolation > kids getting entertained.

I actually think that this should have been an opportunity for the TPL (I expect them to shut down as well sometime soon) to offer book packages for pickup by parents.

But as long as the internet holds out, I think kids will be entertained no matter what.

My wife works at a daycare and they just sent her home for three weeks. I am working from home next week.

Travel restrictions dont work but blanket bans?

Norway and Denmark have enacted such measures and they are science and evidence based nations.

Travel restrictions dont work but blanket bans?
Norway and Denmark have enacted such measures and they are science and evidence based nations.

Not quite:

Denmark has by far both the most confirmed novel coronavirus cases and the highest infection rate of the four countries who have sealed their borders, with a tally of more than 780 late on Friday. Neighbouring Germany had more than 3,100 cases, but its population is almost 15 times larger. Sweden’s state epidemiologist criticised Denmark’s move as “completely meaningless”. Anders Tegnell added Sweden was highly unlikely to follow suit: “I have a very hard time seeing how it could help us. There is no research that shows that. On contrary, it would hurt us economically.”

At this point, my guess is a blanket border ban like this in a country with a relatively large number of cases probably can't delay the inevitable. That's for modellers to figure out. Also there is no ban on Danes leaving and coming back either.

AoD

Last edited:
I've been working from home since Monday, I was supposed to go back on Monday (1-week rotation splitting employees in half). I was informed in that starting now everyone is working from home indefinitely and even if you have to come into the office, you are not to have in-person meetings (conference call only). ?‍♂️
The cabin fever is setting in.

I think this meme is apt..

hmMdt5pOquFBrlT7EAP6rVuj0AphkNDvOH4yqxwWhpM.jpg

Not quite:

Denmark has by far both the most confirmed novel coronavirus cases and the highest infection rate of the four countries who have sealed their borders, with a tally of more than 780 late on Friday. Neighbouring Germany had more than 3,100 cases, but its population is almost 15 times larger. Sweden’s state epidemiologist criticised Denmark’s move as “completely meaningless”. Anders Tegnell added Sweden was highly unlikely to follow suit: “I have a very hard time seeing how it could help us. There is no research that shows that. On contrary, it would hurt us economically.”

At this point, my guess is a blanket border ban like this in a country with a relatively large number of cases probably can't delay the inevitable. That's for modellers to figure out.

AoD

Well the issue is a country like Denmark and Norway are not like USA and such so if they have a decision their experts likely thought it was best.

Idk, frankly due to the variance of expert opinion on this issue and the fact nothing like this has happened in our living memory I am going to personally say a blanket ban has a unknown effect on stopping this.

I think this experience will teach us a lot about how to deal with pandemics.

Well the issue is a country like Denmark and Norway are not like USA and such so if they have a decision their experts likely thought it was best.
Idk, frankly due to the variance of expert opinion on this issue and the fact nothing like this has happened in our living memory I am going to personally say a blanket ban has a unknown effect on stopping this.
I think this experience will teach us a lot about how to deal with pandemics.

A blanket ban would probably work if there is no local transmission - but the question is how well can a country maintain that ban and not have 'slips'; or how long that ban will have to be maintained - because it meant you will have to do so indefinitely until everyone elses' is under control. In other news:

6:45 p.m. British Columbia has 11 new cases of COVID-19, all of them in the Vancouver area, bringing the total in the province to 64.
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the new cases also involve an "additional cluster" that was reported earlier today at the Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver.

Three administrative workers at the hospital have tested positive for COVID-19.
Vancouver Coastal Health says they are in self-isolation at home and are recovering.

Henry says they have not worked in the hospital's clinical areas.

Still pretty disturbing.

AoD

Back