News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The main gripe in general seems to be about small retail. I agree that small retail should be able to continue to operate with capacity limits. Not sure what Sunrise is even advocating.

Open schools.

....also, I guess you missed this part of one of my previous posts:
I just thought it might do us good to rationally explore the very serious unintended consequences of our reactionary policies.

Yes, a lot of people are suffering right now in different ways due to the pandemic. I don't know that we can scapegoat older folks as being to blame. It is not their fault that we are experiencing a pandemic, nor should they be guilted into martyring themselves for the young.

No one, but no one, suggested anything even close to that.

Even if they could, a lot of the suffering experienced by the young would happen anyway as a consequence of this time.
See, now that's a fair assessment.

Enough 40 and 50 year olds get sick enough to require hospitalization that even if we put over 70s on the proverbial ice floe, hospitals would be overwhelmed with people who are still caring for children and active members of the workforce (I guess how we define 'people who have value to society').

Don't worry.....loads of younger people who have zero value to society. It isn't necessarily a function of age. :D

This is pretty inflammatory.

Is it? Many an essay has been written on inter-generational beef in the last decade. Many a piece on how hard millenials have it in relation to their parents.

As a millenial myself I don't buy into the poor millenial trope, but a lot can be said by looking at certain economic indicators between millenials and boomers. Of course, it's natural for the older generation to want to secure their wellbeing and comforts that were indeed hard-earned.
The unintended consequences, economically, have been for subsequent generations to suffer less advantageous outcomes in some ways.

See, for example: residential zoning and "protecting neighbourhood character" which helps drive up housing costs because it causes a shortage of housing.

I'm just pointint out that to me, it seems that the pandemic response has some resemblance to the economic self-interest displayed by boomers. They want what's best for them and forget about subsequent generations who will have to live with the fallout for much, much, much longer. And in the case of young children, don't even get a say in the matter.

Short-sighted selfishness. The very thing those berating people for not following plague protocol are pretending to be appalled by.

There ought to be a balance between competing interests and between different people's personal rights. One person's right to life can't run roughshod over another's right to a life.

With our response to this plague, we have failed miserably at finding this balance. Is what I'm saying.

For the record, I love the oldsters. I actively seek out pensioners for neighbours*....and not only becaue they're half deaf and won't complain about my music. ;)

*--jokes aside, this is in fact true. I love talking to them. Hearing their stories and wisdom and helping them when needed. They're also usually easy to live with/next to. Quiet. Peaceful. Etc.

Last edited:
I think it is misleading to complain about the elderly 'selfishly' imposing restrictions on younger people to benefit the older folks disproportionately. You find support for these measures high among those who are younger because they care about the older people in their lives. I'm not ready to let my family twist in the wind so I can grab a pint at the pub.

Neither am I.

But I am willing to let some twisting be done so that the next generation get a fair chance at a decent life.

How did you go from that, which I have clearly stated, to pubs?

You're being purposely obtuse.

Did anyone advocate re-opening pubs? If so, I missed it.

If not, perhaps we could stick to responding to the substance of others posts.

See, it's usually a decently reliable sign of having spoken truth when responses to said truth are as emotionally charged and out of the realm of anything that was discussed as we've seen on just this page.

Again, I understand, people are scared or worried. It's a new thing for most people here to be living in a prolonged state of emergency.
It's basic psychology to respond to perceived threats swiftly and without much thought to the consequences of acting. This is lizard brain stuff, meaning it's been a part of our neurological set-up since we were little puke creatures running around bumping into stuff.

It's indicative of how much of a threat something is perceived as being to an individual by how irrationally they react to it out of fear for personal safety.
Normal brain stuff.

Last edited:

Oh, thank you, thank you, thaaaank you! <3

• the project involves renovations to residential properties and construction work was started before Jan. 12, 2021.
Anyone want to chime in on whether or not this would include auxiliary buildings at a country estate?

Strictly reading this, I'd say no....then again, I guess it would be work on a residential property and work was defo started last week.

I'm just being lazy after last year which burnt me out. (Spent June-August in direct contact with ~60C surface temperatures + sun = drank 6L of water a day and still lost weight/couldn't sleep)

Anyone want to chime in on whether or not this would include auxiliary buildings at a country estate?

Strictly reading this, I'd say no....then again, I guess it would be work on a residential property and work was defo started last week.

I'm just being lazy after last year which burnt me out. (Spent June-August in direct contact with ~60C surface temperatures + sun = drank 6L of water a day and still lost weight/couldn't sleep)

I'd go with the stamp on the building permit until somebody said otherwise.

I'd go with the stamp on the building permit until somebody said otherwise.

There is none at this project. It's a renovation of a part of just one auxiliary building that does not require any permitting.

Or are you saying I'm off work?!?!?! I love you, mate. All I needed, thanks! ;)

Not sure how this is that much of a surprise. The “loss of smell” aspect is directly related to the infection of olfactory nerve. Those nerves are the first cranial nerve, and are literally exposed to the environment. Ie; the only unprotected part of the brain/nervous system.
It serves that it’s a pretty short trip with no pesky blood/brain barrier in the way.

Not from what I read there, unless it is related to some very specific industries.
Wish I knew the answer. On my site (a commercial office building for a non specific industry) they are saying it will be open, but I feel like they are just full of shit (they are already totally useless). Need to know, because I'm sending a bunch of trailers, including a step-deck there on Thursday.

Don't worry, a future conservative government will 'common sense' it out of existence just in time for the next pandemic.
Don't give a free pass to non-conservative governments. It was Peterson and Rae's Liberals and NDP that closed all the supportive and institutional housing for mentally ill. Mulroney made the mistake of allowing our vaccines to leave, but while the two vaccine suppliers were affiliated with universities, they were never state owned enterprises.

Back