News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

So I watched the city's news conference today and was witness to another float in the pandemic farce parade.

The lot wore their masks when not speaking but took them off when speaking.

Ahem...........yeah

There is zero point in wearing a mask if you're going to take it off when expelling more aerosolised particles than when breathing.

Not sure what the problem is as politicos in central Europe have had no problem speaking whilst masked, seeing as that's the whole point of wearing the bloody things.

It's like pandemic virtue signalling up in this piece.

I noticed at yesterday's inauguration ceremony, between speakers there was the official 'podium and microphone sanitizer'. I think Lady Gaga came with her own gold-looking mic.

I noticed at yesterday's inauguration ceremony, between speakers there was the official 'podium and microphone sanitizer'. I think Lady Gaga came with her own gold-looking mic.

And those folk were outdoors......and also overblown, sanitising that stuff. Again, outdoors + months ago we learnt that transmission via fomites isn't significant, if a thing at all.
This pandemic has brought out all the extremists. The anti-maskers and the outdoor podium sanitisers.
Meanwhile reasonable people are left wondering when the ideals of the Enlightenment died.

I wish I had a gold mic. Mine's a boring stock appearance. :(

1611269481529.png

From link.

As of January 20, and with the delays in consideration, Canada projects it will be able to vaccinate around 8 percent of the population by the end of March.

Vaccine in the world: the percentage of people vaccinated by country?

From link.

Coronavirus keeps on running wild in the world! The daily case toll keeps on setting new records and new variants have been detected all around the globe. As some countries are desperate, others have been able to begin their vaccine campaign in December 2020. Experts have been talking about likely herd immunity since the pandemic broke out, but once 60% of the population is immunized.

What is the percentage of the population vaccinated already in each country that started their campaign? Sortiraparis gives you a daily report on the vaccine situation in the world.
1611269854444.png

1611269891035.png

Find it odd that Pflizer makes the vaccine in Belgium, but the vaccine rate is lower than Canada.

lolwut....the population of Czechia is five times what is listed under "Total Population"

....just off the top.

Citation dismissed!

I don't even know what that number, 2,067,000 is.

It's not anything to do with the country.....not the case count, not the population of Central Bohemia, not the population of the two biggest cities, or one, or three, or four......it's just made up.

hold on.....it could quite possibly be the number of people of German,Slovak,Vietnamese,Ukrainian,Jewish,Polish, Roma heritage. And that's just a guess on my part but seems like it could be about right.

So I watched the city's news conference today and was witness to another float in the pandemic farce parade.

The lot wore their masks when not speaking but took them off when speaking.

Ahem...........yeah

There is zero point in wearing a mask if you're going to take it off when expelling more aerosolised particles than when breathing.

Not sure what the problem is as politicos in central Europe have had no problem speaking whilst masked, seeing as that's the whole point of wearing the bloody things.

It's like pandemic virtue signalling up in this piece.
It really is social distancing theatre, and sending a bad message to the public about how to use masks. I get Biden removing his mask for his inaugural address, as it is a historic moment (not to mention outdoors). I was a bit concerned by all the hugging happening afterwards. But for a daily press conference, you don't need to remove your mask to speak. With a decent mask and microphone you're not too muffled, and it helps reinforce the idea of not just wearing a mask, but keeping the damn thing on.

I can live with that but if the Euros get cancelled.......I'll be irritable. More than normal.

They could probably host in 2022, if people were still interested. Be interesting to see if the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing go ahead.

They could probably host in 2022, if people were still interested. Be interesting to see if the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing go ahead.
Not even COVID-19 can stop the Super Bowl.

The Weekenders will perform in the halftime show.

I have a feeling this is the end of the modern olympics as we know it, and it'll either be drastically scaled back to something more the size of the Pan-Am games or it might just die altogether. So many cities are waking up to the long-term economic costs of hosting an "Olympics™©®" for only a short-term gain. Cities are already taking on huge amounts of debt this year and combine that with the hesitancy towards bringing in huge numbers of disparate foreign tourists and possibly being the ground zero of another pandemic, I don't see many countries willing to pony up the money.

I have a feeling this is the end of the modern olympics as we know it, and it'll either be drastically scaled back to something more the size of the Pan-Am games or it might just die altogether. So many cities are waking up to the long-term economic costs of hosting an "Olympics™©®" for only a short-term gain. Cities are already taking on huge amounts of debt this year and combine that with the hesitancy towards bringing in huge numbers of disparate foreign tourists and possibly being the ground zero of another pandemic, I don't see many countries willing to pony up the money.

Indeed. There has not been an Olympics that was profitable in years.

That being said I don't know how they will manage to host the Tokyo Olympics with the specter of Covid-19 hanging about. Hosting athletes from around the world competing in various events with close contact is the definition of super spreader event.

Some events would likely need to be canceled if they had the Olympics in July like Wrestling or things with physical contact between persons.

Indeed. There has not been an Olympics that was profitable in years.

That being said I don't know how they will manage to host the Tokyo Olympics with the specter of Covid-19 hanging about. Hosting athletes from around the world competing in various events with close contact is the definition of super spreader event.

Some events would likely need to be canceled if they had the Olympics in July like Wrestling or things with physical contact between persons.
Another problem too is the lack of qualifying events held downstream. Most Olympic sports have a dozen qualification and ranking tournaments put on by their international sports bodies in the preceding two or three years to determine who will be eligible to participate. There haven't been any of those for most sports for some time now, and the world rankings are all stale. If you are up and coming into the scene of some sports you will miss out anyway even if you deserve to be there.

That would be a good thing.

What started out, largely, as a Track and Field Meet with a couple of add-on events...............has become profoundly unwieldy.

The Olympics are fine as an idea; but they need to trim the vast majority of team sports; events that are decided on 'artistic merit' or those that simply have not even the faintest link to the Olympics.

Those other things can and should have their world championships, but they don't need to all be bundled in one place.

Its a cost/logistical burden.

At about 1/4 the current size, (for the summer games); and maybe 1/2 for winter, the games would be workable and not near the financial burden of the current versions.

Back