News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Apparently there's a 67oz challenge at Real Sports down on York St.

Not a place I've ever dined, don't foresee that changing, either.

For the $75 it costs (I assume that number's probably gone up post-pandemic), you could get something far more satisfying from Barberian's.

While I agree one could surely do better than Real Sports for steak..........
I've never been terribly keen on Barberian's. I found the decor stuffy and bland.......and while the service was good and the steak decent, for what I paid........I had done and could do much better.
Great wine list. If fully priced.
Many better steaks to be had for comparable or more modest prices.

If we were more accepting of things costing a bit more, and restaurants weren't so cutthroat about it, it wouldn't be so hard pressed to squeeze out every last cent. They might even make more money, as Australia has some living wage laws, but also higher average restaurant profit margin (8%) and a higher per-capita number of restaurants in places like Sydney, etc.

Agreed.

I would like to see a meaningfully higher minimum wage, with shift premiums for evening and weekend work; and that pay uniform across age groups and tipped/non-tipped professionals.
But I would give the industry something in exchange, a wholesale market for beer, and wine. The notion that we force restos to pay retail prices for their booze is nuts.
If we had a normal wholesale system, prices to the restos would be 40-60% lower; this, in turn, would allow modestly lower prices on said product (driving sales), but also much higher margins.

Usually one of my fave restaurants in MTL cost me 200$ for meal plus wine paring, It cost me 310$ two weeks ago. I can understand covid surtax but now I will surely eat more at home. It's just too much.

I was telling my wife about movie theatres being reopened next Friday and she said there was no way she was going to one anytime soon. A lot of people seem to be hesitant to go places despite reopening.

Public servants mostly.

That explains the baby-talk on government websites.

Not a place I've ever dined, don't foresee that changing, either.
While I agree one could surely do better than Real Sports for steak..........
I've never been terribly keen on Barberian's. I found the decor stuffy and bland.......and while the service was good and the steak decent, for what I paid........I had done and could do much better.
Great wine list. If fully priced.
Many better steaks to be had for comparable or more modest prices.

I went to Ruth Chris' awhile (i.e. pre-pandemic) ago and I came out with major indigestion- the food, including the sides are oh so heavy. The decor is totally not my taste either, and I don't think it was particularly good value for my palette.

AoD

Last edited:
That explains the baby-talk on government websites.

I went to Ruth Chris' awhile (i.e. pre-pandemic) ago and I came out with major indigestion- the food, including the sides are oh so heavy. The decor is totally not my taste either, and I don't think it was particularly good value for my palette.

AoD

I haven't tried them, I had heard similar.

Usually one of my fave restaurants in MTL cost me 200$ for meal plus wine paring, It cost me 310$ two weeks ago. I can understand covid surtax but now I will surely eat more at home. It's just too much.
Food prices have increased quite a bit in the last year due to the COVID-related work shortages, additional transportation costs, etc. In addition, market factors (see; China’s buying power) has caused basic things like Canola oil to nearly double in price over the last year.

I was telling my wife about movie theatres being reopened next Friday and she said there was no way she was going to one anytime soon. A lot of people seem to be hesitant to go places despite reopening.

I won't either. Seeing what is happening in Britain, for example, suggests we will be really protected only once our vaccination rate is considerably higher. If we reopen too quickly, there is no reason whatsoever to believe our fate will be different. Once again, COVID patients will monopolize our hospitals, and others waiting for treatment will die.

if you're dining out during Covid, as i have noticed this past month, don't be in a hurry, you need you be patient. Restaurants are extremely short staffed. I waited nearly 40 mins for a cheeseburger and a salad a few weeks ago. My parents walked out of a place after waiting 25 mins for someone to take their drink order. it's really tough to find people who want to be servers or cooks right now for crappy wages during a pandemic. Plus you may be laid off again in fall if we get a big spike in Covid cases.

My cousins kid quit her restaurant job, and got a job she loves at Farm Boy. She had enough of the Ken's and Karen's complaining how long the food is taking and everything else.

So the State of New York is only recognizing full vaccination with FDA approved vaccines, so that leaves those of us who are fully vaccinated with AZ (or anything else) in the lurch. A whole lot of British people are fully vaccinated with AZ. This could make for an interesting travel / tourist experience. At least I can plan a trip to England! https://www.jujamcyn.com/springsteenfaq/#covid19
Has there been any mention here of theatres, stadiums, etc., where people will be similarly asked for proof they've been vaccinated? I was given, and I assume others were, a small piece of paper after the second dose that shows your name and last 4 digits of health card # and other info like date of 2nd dose. I don't think it would be too much of an imposition to show that and the health card (to check that the name, number, and photo match) so it could be checked before being allowed into some event. I'm not suggesting it would be completely foolproof, but is there any reason they would do that in NY but it couldn't be done here?

Last edited:

Back