News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

You are comparing the best of times (vanilla COVID, with low levels of community circulation) to not so great of times (Delta, relatively high level of community circulation, coming down from the peak of hospitalization), among a population that still 1 in 5 unvaccinated.

AoD
But then why do we have fewer restrictions now than we did in August 2020?

But then why do we have fewer restrictions now than we did in August 2020?

Easy - because we have a premier and a public that is not as fearful as the pre-vaccine days. Not entirely unwarranted given the degree of protection vaccination offers, but it is one thing to relax the restrictions; it is another to abrogate the responsibility and act as if the pandemic isn't a thing anymore.

AoD

Last edited:
My employer seems eager to return to normal and have unrestricted office occupancy (no mandatory office attendance until November). I am much less confident that the fourth wave won't scupper those plans.

My employer seems eager to return to normal and have unrestricted office occupancy (no mandatory office attendance until November). I am much less confident that the fourth wave won't scupper those plans.
My daughters both leave for university next month. I hope they get to stay in residence rather than be forced out to home schooling. The schools require everyone to be double vaxed, so the students are as safe at school as they are at home.

My business partner and I had decided to return to our office on Sept. 15, but that's up in the air now. The problem is not so much working there as getting there - I am not missing packed subway cars at the moment.

Data from several countries point to waning immunity after six months, and the vaccines have been reported as much less effective than anticipated against the Delta variant.

Interesting article in Guardian on vaccine procurement in Canada. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/13/canada-anita-anand-covid-vaccine

This bit from the article merits forward placement:

1628859614657.png

510 new cases

positivity 2%

ICU - dropped by 2 to 111

Reactions: DSC

It will be interesting to see how some employers handle this. "Federally regulated industries" includes banking, but it does not include investments or capital markets, which are provincially regulated, so you often have people at a typical bank branch working on both sides of the regulatory divide. I expect the banks will simply say "everyone in the branch has to get vaccinated, period," but you will certainly get someone somewhere complaining about it. And I'm sure the same provincial/federal divide can be found in other industries too.

Back