News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

People are tied of lockdown ... I don't blame them. I don't visit restaurants and keep distance, but you can't restrict indefinitely, because we're social creatures.
I don't blame people for wanting to socialize. But being "tired" is just not a valid reason. If another lockdown is needed in the future, then it should happen. Nature doesn't care about our COVID fatigue.

People were tired of blackouts and bomb shelters in WW2, but they did it until it was safe not to. Obviously not an apples to apples comparison, but it speaks to attitude. Do vaccines make things safer? Absolutely? Do they mean the pandemic and risk is over? No. They reduce risk but they aren’t an all clear for all activities.

People were tired of blackouts and bomb shelters in WW2, but they did it until it was safe not to. Obviously not an apples to apples comparison, but it speaks to attitude. Do vaccines make things safer? Absolutely? Do they mean the pandemic and risk is over? No. They reduce risk but they aren’t an all clear for all activities.
Most people had to spend five minutes every evening blacking out their homes. The attitude was that it was a mild inconvenience to do so.
I doubt most people would agree repeated lockdowns have been mild inconveniences.

Short of forcing people to be vaccinated, we'll be waiting years for people to die off. We're not going to get better than reduced risk with vaccination.

Doesn't seem necessary to have full lockdowns again (not that I ever really considered what we did a "lockdown"). I think we still need to be careful though. Not everyone has had a chance to get fully vaccinated (kids) yet, or get boosters. We vaccinated people can still spread it a bit, in addition to that unvaxxed minority of spreaders.... At some point we have to consider things "normal" again though. Perhaps when everyone has been fully vaccinated, or at least given that opportunity? That's coming pretty soon...

I have no issues with being extra vigilant still - masking, etc. - especially in crowded places. I'm good with restricting things to vaccinated people as well.

Doesn't seem necessary to have full lockdowns again (not that I ever really considered what we did a "lockdown"). I think we still need to be careful though. Not everyone has had a chance to get fully vaccinated (kids) yet, or get boosters. We vaccinated people can still spread it a bit, in addition to that unvaxxed minority of spreaders.... At some point we have to consider things "normal" again though. Perhaps when everyone has been fully vaccinated, or at least given that opportunity? That's coming pretty soon...

I have no issues with being extra vigilant still - masking, etc. - especially in crowded places. I'm good with restricting things to vaccinated people as well.

I think when everyone is boosted? It's bit of a learning curve - and provided we don't get any nasty new variants. At the end of the day it is driven by how our health system gets affected.

AoD

Most people had to spend five minutes every evening blacking out their homes. The attitude was that it was a mild inconvenience to do so.
I doubt most people would agree repeated lockdowns have been mild inconveniences.

Short of forcing people to be vaccinated, we'll be waiting years for people to die off. We're not going to get better than reduced risk with vaccination.
In fact, lack of sleep was a significant problem during the war in London, so not just a mild inconvenience.

Joe Cressy just sent this out in his Ward newsletter:

New data released earlier this week by Toronto Public Health on breakthrough infections shows that getting vaccinated remains the best way to protect yourself and our city against COVID-19.

The data shows breakthrough infections happening in only 0.17% of fully vaccinated individuals in the city. This represents 3,936 cases among almost 2.3 million Toronto residents 12 and older who were fully vaccinated at the time the data analysis was completed.

Additionally, this shows us that individuals who are unvaccinated are two times more likely to contract COVID-19, five times more likely to become hospitalized, and 20 times more likely to be admitted to ICU, compared to those who are fully vaccinated.

As we can see from these numbers, breakthrough infections are rare and vaccination remains one of the most important steps we can take to protect ourselves and our community. This is why it is essential for all family members to get vaccinated as soon as they are eligible — including kids five to 11 years old, and adults eligible for third doses.

In fact, lack of sleep was a significant problem during the war in London, so not just a mild inconvenience.

Also, mask-wearing, judicious social distancing and limiting the size and amount of social gatherings simply isn't the same level of hardship as the restrictions in civil liberties (nevermind economic deprivation) during the war.

AoD

Last edited:
Ontario is dropping its tentative plan to end the provincial vaccine passport program in mid-January and will require all proof of vaccination certificates to include QR codes, CBC News has learned.
The measures are to be announced Friday but a senior government official provided the details in advance.
The official also said there are no plans to shut down the province's schools before the winter holidays one week from tomorrow.

Also, mask-wearing, judicious social distancing and limiting the size and amount of social gatherings simply isn't the same level of hardship as the restrictions in civil liberties (nevermind economic deprivation) during the war.

AoD
My step mother survived The Blitz as well as the later V1/V2 raids living in Central London. Interrupted sleep, waiting it out in shelters and Tube stations, emerging to see what part of your neighbourhood didn't exist anymore, plus rationing for many years. I think she would laugh at the 'hardships' we have been under.

We're not waking up to find houses bombed. There's a vaccine which is 99%+ effective at preventing serious illness and death. For those who are concerned, there's social distancing and masking (I personally mask and social distance, and haven't eaten out since January 2020). I support restrictions while we wait for Omicron hospitalization data to come out of other areas. I support vaccine passports (especially effective ones that can't be forged). Having certain (employer imposed?) restrictions on certain segments of society like care home workers isn't a terrible idea, although it would probably hurt retention and would be kind of unenforceable.

This will sound callous, but people die. There comes a point where you can't prevent it.

WWII was to prevent millions of casualties from all segments of the population, where personal measures couldn't really help. That's hardly the situation here.

The war comparisons are not really appropriate for the situation, I think.

Edit: a lockdown/non-vaccine restrictions need to have a specific goal and timeline. "Stopping Omicron indefinitely" isn't specific in any way.

Last edited:
It's annoying. Started using Instacart again today. Last time I went shopping in the Manulife Centre, within 15 minutes I saw 5 or 6 maskless people (including a disturbed man asking himself at the top of his lungs: "WHY ARE YOU STILL COMING HERE!?" I was wondering the same thing), not counting those who sit outside the Pilot coffee shop. Eataly is packed again, and nobody cares about distancing at all any longer. That's fine if the figures justify it, but they sure don't at the moment.
The whole Yonge-Bloor PATH system is awash with maskless people; it's not just the MC. Just about every time I've been in the HBC portion of it of late, security's right in the middle of an argument in the hall with someone maskless, homeless or not.

Back