News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

93 thousand new cases in the UK.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...45-covid-19-cases-as-omicron-surges-1.5711859

Netherlands are going into lockdown.

Restrictions return across Europe due to wave of Omicron cases​

Last edited:
Mobile vaccine clinic in Pickering today. Even with the weather, there was quite a lineup (not very visible in the photos). The bus will be at Scarborough Town Centre tomorrow.

Unfortunately people invested in lockdowns will find a way to discredit it.
I doubt that anyone is "invested" in lockdowns. The prospect of another one is discouraging. The issue is how fast omicron is transmitted. If we act as if everything will be fine and then it isn't, it will be too late to ensure hospital care isn't even more disrupted than it has been, so it makes sense to restrict contacts now. If hospitalizations don't follow the huge case increases we are seeing, then a lockdown won't be required.

A pox on the next person who posts case counts without hospitalization counts.

The info is right in front of us, https://covid-19.ontario.ca/ , 4,177 cases and 283 hospitalized (vs. 910 on Dec 19, 2020, with 906 seven day avg).

Booked my Moderna booster today, Jan 3rd. Was waiting for under 50 wife to book together but figured best to move now.

A pox on the next person who posts case counts without hospitalization counts.

The info is right in front of us, https://covid-19.ontario.ca/ , 4,177 cases and 283 hospitalized (vs. 910 on Dec 19, 2020, with 906 seven day avg).

Booked my Moderna booster today, Jan 3rd. Was waiting for under 50 wife to book together but figured best to move now.
The quick rise in cases has happened only in the past week. It will take some time for hospitalizations to follow, if they do.

In the meantime, it has become obvious that unvaccinated people are no longer overrepresented in the new cases.

The quick rise in cases has happened only in the past week. It will take some time for hospitalizations to follow, if they do.
Exactly, which makes tracking and posting the cases to hospitalizations number the ever more relevant.

For example, if hospitalizations don‘t increase following case increases this may suggest the vaccines remain effective.

Last edited:

In the meantime, it has become obvious that unvaccinated people are no longer overrepresented in the new cases.
However, I believe the unvaccinated are over represented in hospitalizations. The vaccine is doing its job.

It feels like whole organisations and governments and nations now have to pick a side now. I see three options emerging, and ideology will play a big part in where everyone falls in line.

1. Hard Zero COVID: examples are China, Australia and New Zealand. Still doing everything to proactively stop any foothold in their countries of the virus, and using extreme isolation measures to get even suspected exposure cases into mandatory police-patrolled quarantines.
  2. Soft Zero COVID: examples are most of Canada, the UK (maybe?), and most of the EU: a mostly reactive policy that relies on public education, working from home, and high vaccination rates to have a mostly reactive COVID response that ramps up and down as needed, though it always trails actual infection rates by one or two weeks, meaning it only ever gets close to zero COVID, but never actually at zero.
  3. Live with COVID: the US is the example, where Omicron is sweeping through the population, but there's little appetite to take any measures because of all of moderately good vaccination rates, ideology, and in some cases the economic imperative of workers who if they are forced out of employment have little or zero government assistance to fall back on.
These three options seem to be emerging as the debate of 2022. The Olympics in China will be the big test. I see the chances of it being at least postponed a year to have gone from 5% to 25% in the past two weeks.

Last edited:
It feels like whole organisations and governments and nations now have to pick a side now. I see three options emerging, and ideology will play a big part in where everyone falls in line.

1. Hard Zero COVID: examples are China, Australia and New Zealand. Still doing everything to proactively stop any foothold in their countries of the virus, and using extreme isolation measures to get even suspected exposure cases into mandatory police-patrolled quarantines.
  2. Soft Zero COVID: examples are most of Canada, the UK (maybe?), and most of the EU: a mostly reactive policy that relies on public education, working from home, and high vaccination rates to have a mostly reactive COVID response that ramps up and down as needed, though it always trails actual infection rates by one or two weeks, meaning it only ever gets close to zero COVID, but never actually at zero.
  3. Live with COVID: the US is the example, where Omicron is sweeping through the population, but there's little appetite to take any measures because of all of moderately good vaccination rates, ideology, and in some cases the economic imperative of workers who if they are forced out of employment have little or zero government assistance to fall back on.
These three options seem to be emerging as the debate of 2022. The Olympics in China will be the big test. I see the chances of it being at least postponed a year to have gone from 5% to 25% in the past two weeks.
I see zero chance of the Olympics being postponed. There's too much money involved at too many levels. I can see the Chinese government controlling spectator attendance, which they are eminently capable of doing.

We now have the various lobbying groups insisting on more government money. I'm reminded that when the economy went from horse power to machine power those who had economic interests in the horse trade were not given any support, there was no lobbying for the rights of stable owners, horse traders or blacksmiths. Why do restaurant owners who engaged in years of paying low wages and treating their staff like 2nd class citizens think the whole country should care what happens to them?

Back