News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Went to the Eaton Centre today. After an hour or so we realized the mall was quite empty, and then we noticed....a near total absence of Chinese people. Perhaps they’re worried about racism, contagion or both.

Went to the Eaton Centre today. After an hour or so we realized the mall was quite empty, and then we noticed....a near total absence of Chinese people. Perhaps they’re worried about racism, contagion or both.

January and February are the "slowest" months for shopping. There is a little uptick just after New Year's and before Valentine's Day, but overall it is "slow".

Further to my previous point for reference if people in China die from the flu at rates close to Canada (and they probably have higher rates of mortality) about 150,000 Citizens of China die from influenza every year.

At current numbers (and of course these numbers will climb) the number of people dying from wuhan corona is proportional to 8 people dying in Canada if the outbreak originated here. That compares to an average of about 9-10 people killed by lightning strikes per year. So even if Canada was the epicentre of the epidemic you would still be less likely to die from it than getting hit and killed by lightning.

All this is not to downplay the importance of taking strong measures to contain the outbreak. It is really serious and could get much worse and evolve in dangerous ways. But people avoiding the mall and wearing masks on the subway in Toronto at this time is borderline hysteria

The thing is no racist person it's going to give a shit what Trudeau has to say about stop being racist.

Like I haven't seen the same focus on the racism aspect of the disease in America or Australia or England.

What's in my opinion shows what are priorities of our politicians is about rather than messaging about how they will fix this they're focussing on scoring virtue signalling points.

Pacific mall is a ghostown.

As a result of the main people avoiding Asian businesses seems to be Asian people themselves...

Lol

@Jasmine18 It’s also Chinese New Year, so people may be away visiting family.
That could be true but what I'm hearing from my Asian friends is that due to wild rumours on WeChat...there is a ton of paranoia in the community right now.

That is why I said that most likely a large aspect of Asian businesses slowing down is due to people in the community avoiding going to such businesses

Like I'm a member of Toastmaster and none of our clubs in Brampton or Mississauga have been impacted but some clubs in Scarborough and it Markham have shut down as a result due to the concerns of the virus.

Which I found to be a ridiculous overreaction.

Cocktail of flu, HIV drugs appears to help fight coronavirus: Thai doctors

February 2, 2020

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai doctors have seen success in treating severe cases of the new coronavirus with combination of medications for flu and HIV, with initial results showing vast improvement 48 hours after applying the treatment, they said on Sunday.

Toronto flower shop owner left ‘shaken’ after experiencing coronavirus racism

Sun., Feb. 2, 2020

Upper Beach neighbourhood is showing love and support to a local flower shop owner who recently experienced a senseless act of coronavirus-related discrimination.

In a phone interview, Andy Sue, the sole proprietor of Flower Centre at 1012 Kingston Rd., just west of Victoria Park Avenue, said he recently experienced “the single most offensive thing” that has even happened to him when a woman he does not know came into his shop and went on a xenophobic tirade.

Toronto flower shop owner left ‘shaken’ after experiencing coronavirus racism

Sun., Feb. 2, 2020

Upper Beach neighbourhood is showing love and support to a local flower shop owner who recently experienced a senseless act of coronavirus-related discrimination.

In a phone interview, Andy Sue, the sole proprietor of Flower Centre at 1012 Kingston Rd., just west of Victoria Park Avenue, said he recently experienced “the single most offensive thing” that has even happened to him when a woman he does not know came into his shop and went on a xenophobic tirade.

The one, obnoxious, offensive tirade notwithstanding, a reading of the full story says something good about that area, and our City in terms of the support that business owner has received.

Excepting true mental illness, I do wonder what possesses someone, even someone w/abhorrent views such as the person in the story above, to wander into a specific business, and just got off on a tirade.

Biography of Typhoid Mary, Who Spread Typhoid in Early 1900s
The sad story of a woman responsible for several typhoid outbreaks

From link.

Mary Mallon (September 23, 1869–November 11, 1938), known as "Typhoid Mary," was the cause of several typhoid outbreaks. Since Mary was the first "healthy carrier" of typhoid fever recognized in the United States, she did not understand how someone not sick could spread disease—so she tried to fight back.

Though Mallon was the first carrier found, she was not the only healthy carrier of typhoid during that time. An estimated 3,000 to 4,500 new cases of typhoid fever were reported in New York City alone and it was estimated that about three percent of those who had typhoid fever become carriers, creating 90–135 new carriers a year. By the time Mallon died over 400 other healthy carriers had been identified in New York.

Mallon was also not the most deadly. Forty-seven illnesses and three deaths were attributed to Mallon while Tony Labella (another healthy carrier) caused 122 people to become ill and five deaths. Labella was isolated for two weeks and then released.

Mallon was not the only healthy carrier who broke the health officials' rules after being told of their contagious status. Alphonse Cotils, a restaurant and bakery owner, was told not to prepare food for other people. When health officials found him back at work, they agreed to let him go free when he promised to conduct his business over the phone.

The more I read about accounts like this and the general lunacy that infects the internet, along with the bile that frequents the comments sections of online media, the more I am glad that I have no social media presence.

They would never do that. There are so many Chinese students in Canada that an outright ban would cause problems.

Lol maybe that will drive down real estate prices and a reduction of black money into canada.

Anyways it seems there are no further cases in canada for now so the only way to prevent further cases is to restrict travel from China as the virus seems to have not been contained in China.

Last edited:

Back