News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It is scary to see that so many younger people are dying in the US and UK. It’s not A virus that just kills older people. I’m on the fence here and it’s mainly because the information is spotty at best and directions changing from day to day. I’ve been at home for 2 weeks and even if we are mandated to go back to work, I will elect to work from home as While I’m not 40 yet I’m high risk. So if I get this thing there’s no telling what it will do to me. So before rushing everyone out to play there needs to be more information out there, serious restrictions and the government should protect high risk individuals.

If you are high risk you should not have to go to work. You should be allowed to work from home and have your job protected. If your job doesn’t offer those privileges then the government should cover your pay until it is safe to go back. It’s easy for the young and healthy to take risks with peoples lives but the government owes it to everyone to treat every life equally. And frankly this mess is their fault. Not the virus but the inaction and countless missteps are why we are where we are today. Trump’s stupidity didn’t help either.

Hope we all can get back to some kind of normalcy sooner and stay alive.

There was a blurb online about how the Muslim community also has their own issues. The Indian Muslim community here in Ontario has a cleric from New Delhi telling them that a Muslim is never impure and therefore it is impossible for a Muslim to impart an impurity to another Muslim . In other words come to prayer and pack the mosque tight.

See here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-mosques-coronavirus-1.5508545
I attended an Anglican church. It’s been closed for weeks. I’m surprised any places or worship are still open. The difference may be AIUI that the Anglican, Catholic, United and IIRC Presbyterian churches are centralized while Muslim and Hindu temples are owned and run independently.

I hope everyone at UT is well. As I write this I’m sitting in the backyard, enjoying the warm sunrise, with a dog on my lap having a cup of coffee. I’m one of the lucky ones with secure housing and a steady paycheque.

Its not necessary, providing they are maintaining an appropriate distance (2M) from people with whom they do not live.

To cause someone's liberties to fall without justification based on medical/scientific necessity is indeed fascism. That you like it, or the British do does not make it otherwise.

Individual freedom vs collective responsibility

Individual freedom has to be reduced sometimes in a time of a pandemic because a lot of people are stupid and misinformed. They are making decisions that lead to more infections and deaths and mass economic problems due to govt shutdowns.

If people enter canada and dont self isolate why should they not be harshly punished?

Like if we cracked down on people travelling into this country we likely would not have to face 4 million people on ei in a month.

It's not a fascists thing to force people to isolate by force for 14 days.

This is pretty disturbing even if at this point it isn't proven scientifically (unknown if it caused, if it's permanent/temporary, or something else caused it).

The implications if true, are pretty bad for global populations. Let's hope all of this is just a temporary/ unrelated symptom rather than proven causation...

Individual freedom vs collective responsibility

Individual freedom has to be reduced sometimes in a time of a pandemic because a lot of people are stupid and misinformed. They are making decisions that lead to more infections and deaths and mass economic problems due to govt shutdowns.

If people enter canada and dont self isolate why should they not be harshly punished?

Like if we cracked down on people travelling into this country we likely would not have to face 4 million people on ei in a month.

It's not a fascists thing to force people to isolate by force for 14 days.

First, I didn't critique forcing people who had traveled, having to self-quarantine, which makes your entire response moot.

I was specifically chastising you for your love of police violence against people at large for using a public park, as they should.

Second, I was critiquing the use of state power for something that will NOT produce any benefit in reducing the spread of this virus, but which is rather an exercise of power solely for the sake of same. The virus is merely a pretense for thuggish abuse of power.

Third, I, more than you or some others here who sympathize w/thuggery, have been a champion of the collective good. I've devoted a great deal of time both personal and professional to same.

But that requires a proper understanding of the science/facts, as it does for any public policy; and the more you seek to suppress civil rights the higher the burden of proof on you as the proponent.

You have been engaged in reactionary statements without intellectual foundation; and expressed without nuance. That isn't to your credit.

This is pretty disturbing even if at this point it isn't proven scientifically (unknown if it caused, if it's permanent/temporary, or something else caused it).

The implications if true, are pretty bad for global populations. Let's hope all of this is just a temporary/ unrelated symptom rather than proven causation...

There's too many people as it is.

91051527_10163141222735463_7976151712060669952_n.jpg

From link.

We'll how's this for an eyebrow-raiser? Trump is contemplating sending troops to the Canada/US border.

It doesn't appear all that dire, in that, even if implemented, what they are musing about is essentially deploying patrols with sensor equipment to detect irregular crossers and the notify border patrol officers. The military would not be empowered to interdict or arrest.

That said, I'm unaware of any material number of illegal crossers from Canada, to the U.S.; as such, this seems solely like a way to test some muscle-flexing capability.

While not dire, I'm not particularly keen on the precedent either.

We'll how's this for an eyebrow-raiser? Trump is contemplating sending troops to the Canada/US border.

It doesn't appear all that dire, in that, even if implemented, what they are musing about is essentially deploying patrols with sensor equipment to detect irregular crossers and the notify border patrol officers. The military would not be empowered to interdict or arrest.

That said, I'm unaware of any material number of illegal crossers from Canada, to the U.S.; as such, this seems solely like a way to test some muscle-flexing capability.

While not dire, I'm not particularly keen on the precedent either.

If there's any time that I would NOT want to go to the US, it's now.

Looking at case numbers Ontario has 170 new confirmed cases today. That is in an increase in that number; but not of primary concern at this time.

The key is hospitalization rate, and regional breakdown.

22 additional hospitalizations yesterday.

But the very key point is an inordinate concentration in York Region, with 31 new cases (total, not hospitalizations) vs 22 in Toronto

Southlake hospital in Newmarket is seeing some of the higher levels of Covid cases and ICU use with 7 patients in ICU there yesterday for Covid related matters.

I haven't checked today, but yesterday, the downtown hospitals had no more than 2 Covid-related admissions a piece, to my understanding.

Don't have a read on other suburban hospitals right now, beyond the anecdotal, but my impression is that they are seeing more Covid-related hospitalizations.

You may now order wine/beer etc. w/your delivery food.

From the Tim Horton's School of public relations and optics:

Pusateri's marked up Lysol disinfectant towels to $29.99 per tin!

1585246314286.png

They have been roasted not only online, but even the Premier couldn't resist slamming them and suggesting this should finish their business.

In response, they initially locked hid/locked their tweets and other PR channels.

They have now issued a statement.

1585245486074.png

Last edited:

Back