News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

We'll how's this for an eyebrow-raiser? Trump is contemplating sending troops to the Canada/US border.

It doesn't appear all that dire, in that, even if implemented, what they are musing about is essentially deploying patrols with sensor equipment to detect irregular crossers and the notify border patrol officers. The military would not be empowered to interdict or arrest.

That said, I'm unaware of any material number of illegal crossers from Canada, to the U.S.; as such, this seems solely like a way to test some muscle-flexing capability.

While not dire, I'm not particularly keen on the precedent either.

On one level it seems surprising since there is no evidence of hordes of Canadian heading for the border (for what? expensive health care? border area TP shopping?), but on another, deploying the military is a fairly standard go-to US response. Knowing troops are walking the parapets of their nation gives Americans, generally xenophobic or at least suspicious, a warm feeling. Winter is always coming.

Deployment in aid of the Border Patrol (assuming that's what it will be, against what we're not sure) seems just as reasonable as in the event of a natural disaster.

US has a clear law that prevents their military (including the National Guard under federal activation) from law enforcement powers.

In any event, in the east it will be a geographically short deployment. Fort Drum, approximately 35km from the Thousand Island bridge, has over 10,000 troops garrisoned.

From the Tim Horton's School of public relations and optics:

Pusateri's marked up Lysol disinfectant towels to $29.99 per tin!

View attachment 238147
They have been roasted not only online, but even the Premier couldn't resist slamming them and suggesting this should finish their business.

In response, they initially locked hid/locked their tweets and other PR channels.

They have now issued a statement.

View attachment 238146

Isn't that what you would normally expect there though? Like $0.99 iced tea for $2.39?

Isn't that what you would normally expect there though? Like $0.99 iced tea for $2.39?

An excessive mark-up? Sure. The one you just cited would 2.5x the typical or low-end retail price of a product.

Lysol wipes on Canadian Tire's website are going for $3.29 That is mark up of 9x

Even by Pusateri's standards.............that's a gouge!

I would hasten to add, the typical mark-up isn't actually that high in my experience at Pusateri's.

I don't do my regular shopping there, LOL, but I do enjoy some products they sell that are hard to find, and I know what the premium for getting them there tends to be.

I find it about 40% on average.

From the Tim Horton's School of public relations and optics:

Pusateri's marked up Lysol disinfectant towels to $29.99 per tin!

View attachment 238147
They have been roasted not only online, but even the Premier couldn't resist slamming them and suggesting this should finish their business.

In response, they initially locked hid/locked their tweets and other PR channels.

They have now issued a statement.

View attachment 238146
"We're sorry we got caught".

That is true..

However knowing how India is like and how densely populated is what other option do they have a part from doing a full lockdown?

Even 10% of the population getting sick there is 130 million people and maybe million or.more deaths.

Like when the Spanish Flu hit india in 1919 17 million Indians died ?
My major concern with India is that a large proportion of the population is in the informal sector and have no real saving to fall back on, and that government aid might not reach them in time.

That, and overcrowding/santiary issues in the major cities. Hopefully the spread will be slowed by the heat.

On one level it seems surprising since there is no evidence of hordes of Canadian heading for the border (for what? expensive health care? border area TP shopping?), but on another, deploying the military is a fairly standard go-to US response. Knowing troops are walking the parapets of their nation gives Americans, generally xenophobic or at least suspicious, a warm feeling. Winter is always coming.

Deployment in aid of the Border Patrol (assuming that's what it will be, against what we're not sure) seems just as reasonable as in the event of a natural disaster.

US has a clear law that prevents their military (including the National Guard under federal activation) from law enforcement powers.

In any event, in the east it will be a geographically short deployment. Fort Drum, approximately 35km from the Thousand Island bridge, has over 10,000 troops garrisoned.
I’d welcome US forces on the southern side of Roxham Road and the like.

Uh, what the hell. How does the the public have access to information like this. Is it real?

As for how it relates to Spring Break in one single location. if people care about one somewhat major-ish event (relatively), then what about the several hundred thousand smaller events every single day, everywhere across the globe. Curve can be quantifiably dented sure, but not flattened. And little point focusing just on Spring Break.

Here’s the prediction for next week’s coronavirus cases — if people follow the rules

By Jenna Moon Staff Reporter
Thu., March 26, 2020

A study from York University has found that Canada is on track to have between 4,000 and 10,000 positive cases of COVID-19 by March 31 if we stick to social distancing and public health intervention measures.

In the most pessimistic scenario, Canada could expect to see as many as 15,000 new cases by that same date if public health measures are not enforced.

“If measures are enforced, in the optimistic scenario, we can expect that this number is 4,000 cases,” said Nicola Bragazzi, a post-doctoral fellow with York University who co-authored the study.

“Our study wanted to predict the trend of the COVID-19 outbreak in Canada in the absence of implementation and escalation of public health interventions,” Bragazzi said.

The study used a “model free” approach that did not make assumptions about how the outbreak would proceed, as the pandemic is still ongoing. The study instead uses pure data about the outbreak.

Uh, what the hell. How does the the public have access to information like this. Is it real?

As for how it relates to Spring Break in one single location. if people care about one somewhat major-ish event (relatively), then what about the several hundred thousand smaller events every single day, everywhere across the globe. Curve can be quantifiably dented sure, but not flattened. And little point focusing just on Spring Break.

Disaggreated data, meaning not traceable to a specific person is quite widely available. Its sold commercially. That's what those waivers you sign that allow sale of data are all about.

I think that was an illustration of just one event. So yes, multiply that by all of the other travel events that happened at the same time.

Disaggreated data, meaning not traceable to a specific person is quite widely available. Its sold commercially. That's what those waivers you sign that allow sale of data are all about.

You wouldn't happen to know if there's a publicly-accessible resource for visualizing the data...for free, I mean. I checked this Tectonix site and it's all paid. I would like to play around and map with this data. Now that I know it's out there for public use. If it's commercially-available I think there's a duty that it's made open at the same time.

I think that was an illustration of just one event. So yes, multiply that by all of the other travel events that happened at the same time.

Sorry I just saw a heavy focus on Spring Break in the news last week (and I don't even watch the news that much). As if Spring Breakers and the general younger generation had a death sentence and/or are responsible for troubles in the future. That 50k grouped on the beach, wouldn't take more than a 30sec to add up the train stations and airports in the local area to find even greater widespread traveling numbers.

Back