News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

i just stuck to zone A this year. wanted to go check out my friend's installation in zone C but after waiting for the king streetcar for ~25min i had to leave to be somewhere else. the only thing that fasinated me was the set up at city hall. amazing work by the artists. everything else was meh but the main thing i love seeing is the city being packed with people throughout the night.

anyway, here are my photos from the night.

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

Interestingly, I've been noticing that Stereoscope continues at City Hall each night.

The Blinkenlights installation at the City Hall building is truly stunning. The city should consider commissioning a permanent installation of this project.

I found tonight that there is a free Stereoscope app. for iPhone & iPod Touch which simulcasts what is appearing on the windows of City Hall.

Another great Nuit Blanche for us. There's over a 100 pics here, so give it a minute to load...

We started in Zone A (downtown north of the CBD)...

"Ethereal Forest" - Toronto Nightless Collective (Church & Wellesley Village)

1.jpg

NOTE: Once again, the Village's Nuit Blanche contribution seemed to be more about "getting the street closed" than to showcase cool art. Still, it's always good to see Church sans cars.
2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

"Without Persons, 2008" - Luis Jacob (Maple Leaf Gardens)

6.jpg

NOTE: I was in such awe being in MLG for the first time in 10 years that I forgot to take pictures of the art.
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

"Conversation #2, 2008" - Tom Bendsten (Macdonald Block)
12.jpg

NOTE: One of my favourites from this year's NB!
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

"Time-Piece, 2008" - Adam David Brown (Macdonald Block, Hepburn Block)
18.jpg

"Meeky: The World's Strangest Little Boy, 2004-2008" - Roy Kohn (University & Grosvenor)
19.jpg

Not Nuit Blanche, but still pretty cool. Sir Norman Foster's "pods" in the Leslie Dan Pharmacy Building at U of T.
20.jpg

"Waterfall, 2008" - Katherine Harvey (Ontario Power Generation Building)
21.jpg

NOTE: Pretty cool in person, but not so much on camera.
22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

"A Dream of Pastures" - Mitchell F. Chan & Brad Hindson (AGO)
28.jpg

"Scintillator" - Leo Villareal (AGO)
30.jpg

NOTE: One of my favourites. Like many NB installations, it left me with the feeling of "why can't this be a permanent installation?" I think it nicely bookends John Street with the newly lit-up CN on the south-end and the new AGO on the top. It's also in the part of the expansion that will house modern art, so it seems completely appropriate.
31.jpg

OCAD lit-up for Nuit Blanche.
32.jpg

"Ultra Lime Arts / Cocoon Garden" - Jonathan Hibka, Margaret Krawecka, Heather Shute & Chris Mutton (St. Patrick's Market Square)
33.jpg

NOTE: Hillariously, when you'd shake the cocoons they'd play ad jingles like "happiness is Marineland!"

Looking west from above Queen Street at Nathan Phillips Square.
34.jpg

The corner of Queen & Bay from the elevated walkways at NPS.
35.jpg

"Stereoscope" - Tim Pritlove, Thomas Fiedler (Toronto City Hall)
36.jpg

NOTE: Another one that makes you think "why can't this be permanent?" It would fit nicely with the city's NPS plans.
37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

"Into The Blue" - Fujiwara Takahiro (Toronto Eaton Centre)
40.jpg

NOTE: Not sure why everyone stood under this thing, but it sort of reminded me of an alien landing and the earthlings welcoming the UFO.
41.jpg

"Domaine de l'angle #2, 2008" - Sebastien Giguere, Nicolas Laverdiere, Jasmin Bilodeau (178 Victoria Street - alley behind Massey Hall)
42.jpg

NOTE: One of my favourites. Always great to see awkward and orphaned parts of the city be recontextualized in new ways.
43.jpg

44.jpg

46.jpg

"15 Seconds, 2002" - Daniel Olson (Dundas Square)
47.jpg

NOTE: Didn't really see the big deal, but maybe that's because I never got my 15 seconds of fame.
48.jpg

Not officially Nuit Blanche, but Sam's iconic sign got its final spin this evening. It is now being dismantled and will somehow be incorporated into the yet-to-be-built Ryerson building on the same site.
49.jpg

"Light Up The Night: Sitting Ducks" - Ryerson School of Interior Design (Devonian Pond a.k.a. "Lake Devo")
50.jpg

NOTE: I borrowed this picture from my friend Kim as there wasn't a duck to be seen when we went by this installation.

"Light Up The Night: Heaslip House" - Ryerson School of Fashion, Ryerson School of Image Arts, Ryerson School of Radio and Television Arts" (Heaslip House)
51.jpg

"House of Leaves, 2008" - Katherine L. Lannin (55 Gould St)
52.jpg

NOTE: This one had a big line-up that we couldn't be bothered waiting in, so I only got an outside view.

"Stock Extravaganza" - Robert Hengveld (65 Dundas St W)
53.jpg

NOTE: It was basically a nightclub in a T.O. garbage/recycling receptacle. Highly amusing.
54.jpg

"Four Sisters, 2007" - John Armstrong, Paul Collins (686 Bay St)
55.jpg

NOTE: Urban geek art. Loved it!
56.jpg

"Zombies In Condoland, 2008" - Jillian McDonald (College Park)
57.jpg

NOTE: Sort of fun for a minute, but in general it was a lot of waiting for a whole lot of nothing.
58.jpg

And then it was over to Zone B (financial district)...

"The Common and the Tense (A Sound Ecology), 2008" - Byron Kent Wong (Dundee Place Courtyard)

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

Not Nuit Blanche, but some pretty cool "Parking" font at Temperance & Sheppard.
63.jpg

"Business Class, 2008" - Magnetic Laboratorium / Marsiela La Grave (Parking lot at Temperance and Sheppard)
64.jpg

65.jpg

"Commerce Court, 2008" - Noam Gonick (Commerce Court)
66.jpg

NOTE: Sort of cool to hear the financially-corrupt commentary echo throughout the financial district.
67.jpg

"Toronto Nocturnes 1, 2008" - Ricardo Okaranza, San Sebastian (Brookfield Place)
68.jpg

NOTE: I really enjoyed this one, especially considering the very honest Toronto photography was taken by a pair of photographers from Basque Country, Spain.
69.jpg

70.jpg

"Horridor, 2008" - Kelly Mark (Union Station, York Street Councourse)
71.jpg

NOTE: One of the more memorable moments of the night and unfortunately this picture really fails to capture it.

"Earth & Sky, 2008" - Shuvinai Ashoona, John Noestheden (Pedestrian Teamway - York St, south of Front)
72.jpg

NOTE: Meh.
73.jpg

74.jpg

"Alternator, 2008" - Rita McKeough (Green P lot on the Esplanade, east of Yonge)
76.jpg

NOTE: Very poignant (OK, and it also reminded me of those table fountains at "The Oil Barons Ball" on "Dallas").
77.jpg

78.jpg

Then it was off to Zone C (Art & Design District, Parkdale, Liberty Village)...

"Overflow, 2008" - Michel de Borin (Former Prison Chapel - East Liberty St)

79.jpg

NOTE: Another one that I wish were permanent.
80.jpg

"Dandyberry" - Danny Shaddick, Rodrigo Marti (Metro Parking Lot - 100 Lynn Williams St)
81.jpg

82.jpg

Not sure if this was Nuit Blanche-sanctioned or not, but this was a travelling band that we caught on Lynn Williams St in Liberty Village. They were quite entertaining actually.
83.jpg

"Purified by Fire, 2006" - Matt Suib (Liberty Market Building & Toy Factory Lofts)
84.jpg

NOTE: Not quite as good as I was hoping.
85.jpg

"Sniff, Lick, Pinch, Nibble, Swallos..., 2008" - Noni Kaur (85 Hannah Ave)
86.jpg

NOTE: Not as good as the great name, but still pretty interesting to the senses.
87.jpg

Guerilla art? (85 Hannah Ave)
88.jpg

"Imagine Peace" - Yoko Ono (Liberty & Jefferson)
89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

"I Promise It Will Always Be This Way, 2008" - Jon Sasaki (Lamport Stadium)
92.jpg

NOTE: Perhaps not the most "artisitc" of the installations, but a perfectly brilliant experience at 05:00 in the morning after a night of walking and viewing mostly serious art.
93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

"Euphemisms For The Intimate Enemy, 2008" - Ruark Lewis (Mowat & Liberty)
97.jpg

NOTE: Awesome! Those are 550 x 55 gallon drums!
99.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

"Xibala, 2008" - Ulysses Castellanos, Faisal Anwar (Carpet Factory parking lot)
103.jpg

NOTE: I didn't get it, but it made for a good photo.

"Future (..._ _ _ ...) Perfect, 2008" - Brendan Fernandes (Parking lot b/w Mowat & Fraser, south of Liberty)
106.jpg

NOTE: A Morse Code themed installation made of shipping containers. Quite awesome, but didn't come out as well as I'd hoped in photos.
107.jpg

108.jpg

"Untitled, 2004-2005" - Shilpa Gupta (Dufferin St)
109.jpg

NOTE: I could never begin to explain this interactive computer-generated installation, but it was definitely a favourite of ours.

"Urban Voice Oscillator, 2008" - Mahan Javadi, Bruno Billio (135 Liberty St)
110.jpg

NOTE: A real departure for Bilio, however the "sabre" was apparently not working right by the time we got there.

"Smash! Droppin' Stuff, 2008" - The Custodians of Destruction (Parking lot north of Liberty, east of Fraser)
111.jpg

NOTE: I now know the appeal of monster truck demolition derbys.
112.jpg

113.jpg

And that's wrap!

P.S. We were in bed around 06:30.

A picture of the 2009 Nuit Blanche City Hall installation, for anyone interested.

p1000631.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are awesome photos! Also the only cool thing I saw at Nuit Blanche this year. Last year I'll attend.

Not sure if I understand this technique.
The beams are SPREADING OUTWARDS from BOTH the "source" and from the Tower.
How can that be?
Is there a simple explanation?

The beams are being projected from the source and converging on the tower. A wide angle lens directly below the source makes the span seem much wider than what it looks like in reality. From most other locations in the city, the beams looked very closely clustered, with no discernible scatter.

Here is a search result for Global Rainbow on Flickr. It is a travelling installation, so you can see it in various locations around the world.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=global rainbow

Last edited:

Back