News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

NYC Pictures - Wang Chung the Fung Wah lately?

Ganjavih and all: Good NYC pics!! I will mention again that I sometimes take Manhattan for granted living about 45 miles away here on LI. The pix start on a chinese bus-Was it the Fung Wah? Some of my friends use it also and joke around and we will quote "Wang Chung the Fung Wah" as an example. That company is in trouble over some accidents that the company had as well as bus conditions. I will also mention that the Spring and Fall is the best times of the year to visit NYC-you miss mostly the prime tourist seasons and weather extremes. For those who enjoy big cities NYC is one of the World's best! LI MIKE

Re: NYC Pictures - Wang Chung the Fung Wah lately?

"......I wonder whether Toronto would be more dense and how it might have looked....i.e. building less two story structures, no gas stations, surface parking lots gone....any thoughts?"

Yeah, despite the number of high rises in Toronto, the 2-storey landscape makes our city of 5 million sometimes feel like a city of 500,000. Paradoxically, a drive in the 416 suburbs with their slab clusters gives off the impression that you are on the outskirts of a super-metropolis of Tokyo or Sao Paulo size.

Then you exit the DVP downtown and find yourself in leafy, low-density Rosedale or Riverdale. New York and, yes, to a lesser extent, Montreal always excited me this way. The Hudson river tunnels and bridges were not teasers like the drive into TO: once you surfaced in Manhattan it was wall-to-wall 5 storey tenements and chaos. You have to go pretty far out into Brooklyn (like Flatbush or beyond Bushwick) to get the kind of semi-detached density that is apparent just two blocks away from Dundas Square. We can't kid ourselves that our city was just a little outpost in 1912. We could have easily done this back then and our condo boom is playing catch-up.

Re: NYC Pictures - Wang Chung the Fung Wah lately?

Ain't no place quite like New York City!

Back