News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Bayview Station. Line 2. Lots of activity as testing continues. Notice that "Next Train" system is now working, as is train announcements in station. Heavy landscaping work, yesterday when pictures taken. Many trees and shrubs going in. Like Pimisi, Bayview will have a very green and attractive public realm around the station.

IMG_3840.jpeg
IMG_3841.jpeg
IMG_3842.jpeg
IMG_3844.jpeg

Last edited:
Corso Italia Station - Line 2. Station appears to be awaiting additional landscaping. Street edge drains are being installed. Benches on public plaza facing Gladstone installed. Station looks ready.

IMG_3850.jpeg
IMG_3852.jpeg

I could see it open just as the western part of Line 1 closes for maintenance after Bluesfest. :D

24 minute cycle is 12 minutes South Keys to Airport and back. Two vehicles will be running cycles in opposite directions, passing around Uplands or east of it.

Here's something new from yesterday - June 13. Construction barriers (temporarily removed) from Bayview Station. Taking pre-opening publicity shots and possible advertising production. Was chased away by OC Transpo staffer who condescendingly told me I could take better pictures from outside the station or from the Scott Street bridge. You'd think they'd want to encourage people to get excited about new service as opposed to chasing them away! Don't know why I was so annoyed - but I was.

IMG_3899.jpeg
IMG_3894.jpeg
IMG_3900.jpeg

View from Uplands Station today. Emphasis on landscaping. Visiting several new stations in the south end, I'm blown away by the number of trees being planted. Someday, it'll make for a very green leafy commute, in the summer.

IMG_3906.jpeg
IMG_3907.jpeg
IMG_3905.jpeg

Hoping these trees live. Of great importance at these stations that are essentially in empty fields and parking lots.

Seems like most trees along Stage 1 died or were removed.

I'm extremely disappointed in the outcome. We knew in 2017 that the new Civic would be going at Dow's Lake, and Line 2 was shutting down in 2020 for, what we thought at the time, two years. The stars were aligned for an increase in scope of Stage 2 South that could see a fully rebuild of Dow's Lake with double tracking and a seamless integration with the hospital's parking garage.

Instead, we had Line 2 proceed as planned with no significant improvements to Dow's Lake (other than a redundant elevator and extended platform) and the Civic Hospital design work go on in silos, with little consideration form one another. None for Stage 2. Now we'll end up with this disconnected half measure in perpetuity. Even when Dow's Lake Station is expanded, it will be impossible to integrate it properly with the bridge.

This is by no means a criticism of the team that led the design for the bridge. They did what they could with the late timeline and a clear mandate to keep costs as low as possible. This is better than nothing, but it's not great. And Dow's Lake Station WILL be way over capacity the day the new hospital opens.

There is really no attempt to integrate the bridge with either the station or the garage. They did mention that one of the goals was to disrupt train service as little as possible, and this would do it. It's also a preliminary plan, so one can hope for some improvements.

The way the link is laid out on the transit station side, the length of the walk and the number of turns a user needs to make seem to have been maximized. The user will spend something like 40 seconds walking madly off in all directions trying to get up to the link, even though the station and link staircases are nearly lined up with one another.

1719351028451.png

With some rearranging, it could be a little more direct.

1719350527676.png

But transit planning seems to have forgotten about walking time, so we have stations like Hurdman, and the three-minute mess at Bayview.

Attachments

• 1719350222842.png
    1719350222842.png
    336.7 KB · Views: 5
This is so unfortunate. People are just going to continue to cross at-grade because that is easier. It will act like a desire line.

This is so unfortunate. People are just going to continue to cross at-grade because that is easier. It will act like a desire line.
If they could at least have it at the same level as the highline, it wouldn't be quite as bad.

With some rearranging, it could be a little more direct.

View attachment 575586

But transit planning seems to have forgotten about walking time, so we have stations like Hurdman, and the three-minute mess at Bayview.
It would also make the stairs twice as wide. For what they are spending on that structure (10? 20 Million?) I would expect something more than your average 5ft wide parking garage stairwell.

Back