8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

wagthedog

Member Bio
Reaction score
I haven't found too much info on off-peak ridership projections for the LRTs. All I see is projections for peak hours.

Could that be the breaker for LRT, the lack of off-peak ridership?

Anyone have source.

The off peak ridership on bus routes like Eglinton and Finch are very high. It's not unusual to have to stand during off peak times.

However, you have to understand that this type of infrastructure, including subways and regional rail, are built with peak-hour ridership in mind. Could the Spadina subway (north of St Clair) ridership be handled by buses during the off-peak? I'm fairly certain it can.

And please, quit making a thread for every little question that pops into your head. Make a thread called "wagthedog's thoughts" and put them all in there. Thanks.

Agreed with the above :)

But anyway, really depends what routes your talking about - I suspect most of the TC routes will be very busy most of the day, just by looking at the current bus routes that serve those lines.

If current ridership patterns are any indication routes in the 905 - Hi-way 7 will have very low off peek ridership - have a look at blue / purple - most other YRT bus routes. But I guess the hope is that this will change afterwords. But there really isn't any easy way to predict that.

Looking at ridership in general, the TTC has higher ridership in the non-rush than most other transit systems in North America. The main reason is of course the headways that the main routes have. The more frequent the headway, the more the people will use it.

Seattle's new light rail boasts a headway of 7.5 minutes in the afternoon rush hour, day time headway is 10 minutes. The Transit City headway should be better than that.

Agreed with the above :)

But anyway, really depends what routes your talking about - I suspect most of the TC routes will be very busy most of the day, just by looking at the current bus routes that serve those lines.

If current ridership patterns are any indication routes in the 905 - Hi-way 7 will have very low off peek ridership - have a look at blue / purple - most other YRT bus routes. But I guess the hope is that this will change afterwords. But there really isn't any easy way to predict that.
Are you serious? Highway 7 already has quite a decent off-peak ridership, and that's without any real form of Rapid Transit at all. I took Viva Blue yesterday, late at night too, and it was totally packed.

Are you serious? Highway 7 already has quite a decent off-peak ridership, and that's without any real form of Rapid Transit at all. I took Viva Blue yesterday, late at night too, and it was totally packed.

Viva blue runs on Hwy 7??

Viva blue runs on Hwy 7??

taal said:
taal mentioned it, I defended it

Routes like Finch are "packed" all day because the TTC cuts back service to keep buses full. Most routes are "packed" all day long, and if they're not, you better believe the TTC is thinking about tailoring service to reduce packed buses.

Last edited:
Routes like Finch are "packed" all day because the TTC cuts back service to keep buses full. Most routes are "packed" all day long, and if they're not, you better believe the TTC is thinking about tailoring service to reduce unpacked buses.

...except at the rear of the buses. There are always a seat for me when I move back there. The problem are people who insist on exiting through the front doors, instead of the center doors.

Routes like Finch are "packed" all day because the TTC cuts back service to keep buses full. Most routes are "packed" all day long, and if they're not, you better believe the TTC is thinking about tailoring service to reduce unpacked buses.

Hmm... The TTC is actually increasing service on routes like Finch to build even more ridership before the LRT is fully implemented. Living in suburban Toronto for many years I can assure you that the TTC is running plenty of empty buses down streets in North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough to attract riders.

The 35 Jane runs every 10 mins or less from 5:45am until 2:42am! It's funny that Torontonians always find things to complain about, no where on the continent will you find suburban routes with this kind of frequency. The 116 Morningside is FS between 5:30am and 1:16am, and the 39 Finch East is FS from 5:15am until 2:30am. It would be unwise to think that all the buses running up Morningside during off peak until 1:16am are packed, and there are only increases planned for the route. Of course not every route is this frequent, but many of them are.

Hmm... The TTC is actually increasing service on routes like Finch to build even more ridership before the LRT is fully implemented. Living in suburban Toronto for many years I can assure you that the TTC is running plenty of empty buses down streets in North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough to attract riders.

The 35 Jane runs every 10 mins or less from 5:45am until 2:42am! It's funny that Torontonians always find things to complain about, no where on the continent will you find suburban routes with this kind of frequency. The 116 Morningside is FS between 5:30am and 1:16am, and the 39 Finch East is FS from 5:15am until 2:30am. It would be unwise to think that all the buses running up Morningside during off peak until 1:16am are packed, and there are only increases planned for the route. Of course not every route is this frequent, but many of them are.

If you're going to play the "my anecdote is better than yours" card, don't play it when it makes no sense to do so, and remember that by the time buses get to Malvern they're always basically empty.

Why on earth do you think service levels drop on every route in the off-peak? The TTC does not run empty buses for the hell of it. Such service is the last to be added and the first to be cut...the 42A, for instance.

What are you on about this time? Finch West's service frequency is 9 minutes or better during off-peak. There is absolutely no lack of off-peak demand.

What are you on about this time? Finch West's service frequency is 9 minutes or better during off-peak. There is absolutely no lack of off-peak demand.

God, shut up.

They lower service during off-peak, which is why buses on long, busy routes seem packed all day long. Did I say there's a lack of demand? Put 0.1% of Finch's daily ridership on a single bus at a random time of day and it will seem packed.

Do you think you are on to a new discovery here? Every transit line on the planet has lower frequency in off-peak than it does during peak.

Back