News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I like the idea of converting for other uses, but I'm not a fan of incentives to create more empty lots. I would be okay with incentives for demolition if it was tied to a new development taking it's place, but other than that I don't want to see money go towards more gravel lots. Also any build that does get demolished will likely be a smaller boutique building.

I like the idea of converting for other uses, but I'm not a fan of incentives to create more empty lots. I would be okay with incentives for demolition if it was tied to a new development taking it's place, but other than that I don't want to see money go towards more gravel lots. Also any build that does get demolished will likely be a smaller boutique building.
Totally agree! The article mentions that some demolition lands could be converted to park or public space. Conversion to temporary parks/public space (or some other productive TLU) should be a condition of funding. Even if the park/public land use is through a lease to the City to manage liability. If the recipient doesn’t have a TLU planned (other than a parking lot), then they should not receive funding. I’d like to see TLUs where the lots are used for prefab/shipping container style bars/restaurants/breweries/markets. Something relatively low cost but highly activating.

By my tracking:
1679941946903.png

At least one of those in the “proposed” list is well underway. I think it’s the Cornerstone one. Is the one at 9 Ave and Macleod on there? The little one next to Palliser.

Quick snap of the aforementioned project from the train just now.

7B22C26C-6001-43D1-8E23-2389E90A18B1.jpeg

Next round of residential conversion projects announced...

Taylor Building - 85 units [Cressey Developments]
805-8th-Ave-SW-Calgary-AB-Primary-Photo-1-Large.jpg

Petro Fina Building - 105 Units [People First Developments] (This one's pretty nice, In the document it says the historical elements will be preserved)
image.jpg

Fina building.PNG

Eau Claire Place I - 90 Units [Cidex]
eyJrZXkiOiAibWVkaWEvYzUzOGNlMDZhMWJmNGY3NTk1MWY1MDQ3ZTg2MDA5MWYuanBnIn0=

Eau Claire Place II - 195 Units [Pacific Reach Properties]
eyJrZXkiOiAibWVkaWEvMTdkNjU1OTFhMGFkNDA4NTllNzU0MTg2NzUxYzJiZjQuanBnIn0=

744 4th Ave - 55 Units [Institutional Mortgage Capital]
744-4th-Ave-SW-Calgary-AB-Primary-Photo-1-Large.jpg

Ohhhh my god! The Taylor, Fina, and 744 buildings all going ahead next? Jesus that’s a huge win. Two more residential conversions on Stephen Avenue 🥰 likely accompanied by retail at grade to extend the Avenue west. So like 530 units in 5 projects? Not bad at all.

Taylor Building - 85 units [Cressey Developments]
805-8th-Ave-SW-Calgary-AB-Primary-Photo-1-Large.jpg

Petro Fina Building - 105 Units [People First Developments] (This one's pretty nice, In the document it says the historical elements will be preserved)
image.jpg

View attachment 470519

Eau Claire Place I - 90 Units [Cidex]
eyJrZXkiOiAibWVkaWEvYzUzOGNlMDZhMWJmNGY3NTk1MWY1MDQ3ZTg2MDA5MWYuanBnIn0=

Eau Claire Place II - 195 Units [Pacific Reach Properties]
eyJrZXkiOiAibWVkaWEvMTdkNjU1OTFhMGFkNDA4NTllNzU0MTg2NzUxYzJiZjQuanBnIn0=

744 4th Ave - 55 Units [Institutional Mortgage Capital]
744-4th-Ave-SW-Calgary-AB-Primary-Photo-1-Large.jpg

These buildings seem nicer and better located than the ones in the earlier rounds

Both the Fina and Taylor buildings have a nice mid-century vibe...so I hope they don't go and ruin those facades with some cheap patterned paneling.

The others, they can do whatever the hell they want with...

Both the Fina and Taylor buildings have a nice mid-century vibe...so I hope they don't go and ruin those facade's with some cheap patterned paneling.

The others, they can do whatever the hell they want with...
That's what I was thinking too. The facades on Fina and Taylor have a nice funkiness to them....just like the sierra building had. I pray they don't do too much to those buildings, but I have a feeling the retained historical element for Fina, will be the stainless steel portico.

Back