News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think taking the 427 to Barrie is a good thing, it gives a alternate to when the 400 is closed

Fully agree, I think the 427 needs to be extended all the way to the 400 in Simcoe, would take a lot of summer pressure of the 400. Or maybe find a way to link the 427 and highway 11 to create two 400 series highway gateways into Northern Ontario.

But, to go back on topic, I fully hope Plan B or C gets done, but in all reality politicians will get cold feet and people will be wondering what If for the decades to come.

If you subscribe to the belief that politicians will do anything to get elected, then its our civic duty to push for this plan to move forward.

HOV lanes in the 400 will probably not be as useful as on other commuter highways, since its worst congestion comes on summer weekends with cottage traffic. Most cottagers tend to drive up with several people in the car.

I fully support the implementation of Plan C... we can only hope McGuinty has the balls to follow through with the revenue tools, and puts the plan into law.

Heres hoping.

last I heard 427 Simcoe was dead... and that it's not going through the Greenbelt

All it takes is a politican with Balls and it'll get going again. Thats what happened with highway 400 into Sudbury, was considered dead for many years until a Politican stood up and got it done, and now Northern Ontario is getting its first 400 series highway. The same process is also happening with Highway 11.

in my opinion, the new highway 7 - vaughan coporate centre subway extension is a huge waste of money and resources.
a subway north up yonge would do more good than to the vaughan corporate centre. i mean maybe york university needs more transit routes servicing it, but that could easily done by more bus routes.
you cannot compare the amount of people living in that said area and the amount of people living north of finch along yonge. somebody please explain to me why they decided to go ahead with this albatross of a subway extension. i am very upset.

Mainly for future growth, and to bring the subway closer to the Jane & Finch area, which is more than deserving of better rapid transit. When you build a development that has poor transit people are forced to use their cars from the start, and that habit is exteremly difficult to break. With Vaughan Centre we have the opportunity to build an large scale development where transit is the best option from the start. I believe that we should take that opportunity.

Where the line ranks on your list of priorities is a matter of personal preference, but since it has already been funded, it will not take away money from any other project described in the regional transit plan. The province has committed to funding a subway extension to Richmond Hill Centre, and will probably be one of the highest ranking projects under any RTP variant.

I agree with you, Red Rocket. Remember that they built the New York subway out into farmer's fields in Queens, which is why they have such dense development and high transit ridership today.

If the Spadina wasn't proposed to run into Vaughan, I'm fully convinced that the recent surge of government funding for transit would never have happened...I really do think it was that important. Toronto alone would never have built an extension just to York U and it would have died like a thousand other proposals. Vaughan is right in the middle of the GTA and there's absolutely no reason to think the line and local development won't be a success. Think long-term, oreoshack.

Ending the 427 at Major Mackenzie makes sense for now. Extending it too far now would fuel sprawl so keeping the extension minimal to direct development to the Klienburg Bolton area makes sense. The province doesn't want development beyond the green belt yet.

Vbulletin has eaten this post twice (which is why I save long posts before I send them), but maybe third time's the charm.

And what, prey tell, do you find ridiculous?

It's a given that when this many transit lines are proposed, you're gonna get some really questionable ones thrown in with the good ones...we've seen this happen to fantasy maps posted on this forum. Still, there's no way to get all the best lines built without building a few not-so-best lines, and these pet projects are excellent political grease.

I'll note a few of the questionable ones here, but if they seem wrong because the map isn't to scale or because alignments haven't been finalized (though at this stage, there really should be useful maps with formal plans on them otherwise you're asking the public to support a swarm of planning arrows), let me know:

Hipster Duck already mentioned the S-Bahn on stilts on the 401 (as for the one on the 407, is it actually along the rail corridor just north of Steeles?). There's more express rail on 400 series highways than there is in rail corridors. Someone going from Markham to Vaughan seems to be given a choice between LRT, BRT, and express rail, all running parallel. You mention that express metro lines are likely, but who honestly needs them with all that express rail? Why not just use those resources to build more metro lines?

The Scarborough RT is kept, of course...even in a $100B plan we can't afford to lose crucial Ellesmere station! Replacing the RT with a subway extension and LRT branching out from STC would be cheaper and would help many times as many people. Since the Eglinton metro only goes to Kennedy - it should go farther east - maybe the RT will be extended along Eglinton (if memory serves me correctly, isn't that what AreBe proposed years back?)...if so, it seems Eglinton will get ICTS to justify keeping the RT. And if so, why not just say so? Why the ambiguity? There's been a few fantasy maps posted on this forum that are just as expansive as the Metrolinx options, but they're not at all ambiguous, whether it be about the technology, the routes, the stations, anything.

There's a Finch East line that curves north at Kennedy (or Warden?) and curves west again at what looks like Major Mack. It's just thrown on there, almost thoughtlessly. Will it be a limited stop bus route, or will it be a multi-billion dollar LRT line...why is it there? I'd support a humongous plan like this if only to ensure a few of the best bits get built, but the average person almost certainly would not support a transit overkill. They'll want to know exactly where these lines are going and what they'll cost, at least to within an order of magnitude. There's a few other random orange lines in the suburbs, like the one meandering NE of the 401/427 interchange. Instead of these random "connectors," why not build these orange transit lines on equally or more suitable roads like Kipling, Lawrence, Wilson, Bathurst, Dufferin, Warden, etc.?

The red lines are all great (the ones in rail corridors, anyway), and so are the white ones (minus the RT...but the drl should be *the* DRL, and extended NE and NW while we're spending this much), but the orange lines are hit or miss (partially because the map makes them so mysterious).

Oh, and I also noticed a RedRocket191's house express route :)

Back