News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Red Rocket, regardless of how close headways can be with new signalling, there is absolutely no reason to have the highest frequencies on the outer portions of the line. Many lines in other cities branch, but at their outer termini, not downtown.

I think its safe to say that they know that and will deal with it accordingly.

Hot off the presses:

Just got back from the Metrolinx board meeting:

The board decided that the white paper, as written, will NOT, I repeat NOT be released to the public.

It is currently being sent back to staff, and the following modifications will be made:

Test Concept C - Web will be revised to include the TTC's semi-released rapid transit plan, which I am calling "Transit City 2". I do not know what Transit City 2 is, but do know that it is buried somewhere in the official plan. It seems to address the downtown core, an issue that I know many people have with Transit City (which was always just phase 1 in a larger plan). The new concept C will also have little to no road improvements (aka widenings).

Test Concept D, a new model, will be added. It will be based on Test Concept B, but will include major road improvements.

Also, the issue about map legibility was raised. While people want to be able to visualize where these lines are going, we're not at that stage in the RTP to confirm any of this yet. While there is no way to stop people from commenting on the lines they see on the map, please realize that nothing is final. One of the most frequent comments I'm hearing on this and other forums is "the DRL should go to Union and not to Queen." Just because the line is drawn on Queen doesn't mean it will end up on Queen. You should focus on the concept. Don't interpret it as a "DRL on Queen." Interpret it as a "DRL."

The new version of the white papers will be considered for release in two weeks.

Test Concept C - Web will be revised to include the TTC's semi-released rapid transit plan, which I am calling "Transit City 2". I do not know what Transit City 2 is, but do know that it is buried somewhere in the official plan.

Ah, so suffice it to say the City has gotten to them and any talk of subways downtown will be elminated.

We'll just have to wait and see what Transit City 2 is. I feel for Metrolinx staff though. They are all great people, and its unfortunate that their hard work has to go under such heavy revisions. But, they are up to the task. Steve Munro has some fairly good analysis of why this happened, but I would add the following to his article:

Ultimately, the RTP has to be supported by the official plans of the cities and towns of the GTHA. We might as well run test cases which respect the official plans right from the start. However, you can't blame anyone for coming up with ideas that go against vague or unwritten plans and ideas.

I think its safe to say that they know that and will deal with it accordingly.

Hot off the presses:

Just got back from the Metrolinx board meeting:

The board decided that the white paper, as written, will NOT, I repeat NOT be released to the public.

It is currently being sent back to staff, and the following modifications will be made:

Test Concept C - Web will be revised to include the TTC's semi-released rapid transit plan, which I am calling "Transit City 2". I do not know what Transit City 2 is, but do know that it is buried somewhere in the official plan. It seems to address the downtown core, an issue that I know many people have with Transit City (which was always just phase 1 in a larger plan). The new concept C will also have little to no road improvements (aka widenings).

Test Concept D, a new model, will be added. It will be based on Test Concept B, but will include major road improvements.

Also, the issue about map legibility was raised. While people want to be able to visualize where these lines are going, we're not at that stage in the RTP to confirm any of this yet. While there is no way to stop people from commenting on the lines they see on the map, please realize that nothing is final. One of the most frequent comments I'm hearing on this and other forums is "the DRL should go to Union and not to Queen." Just because the line is drawn on Queen doesn't mean it will end up on Queen. You should focus on the concept. Don't interpret it as a "DRL on Queen." Interpret it as a "DRL."

The new version of the white papers will be considered for release in two weeks.

Every time I looked around to say Hi to you, you were not there.

I stand to be correct, but didn't Miller wanted a test showing no new roads built or expand as well removing lanes? If so, Front St extension is dead.

My take there were concerns that not all lines that could be there will not be on the first RTP plan and I agree with this.

The issue about map legibility is correct as the map is too small to read in the first place to give a real understand what is been looked at. If it wasn't for the presentation, my map was hard to see as to what is been looked at at this stage.

Need to think beyond the 25 year plans as it will be effected by future development and pattern changes.

Parking fee will have a big impact how riders will used transit. I am on record for the round table with MOE in Dec 2006 calling for 50% reduction of "all" transit parking lots with 5 years and paying a fee of $6-$20 a day to park.

Any fee charge for source of revenue is only good if everyone decide to continue driving. As fees and fuel cost go up, it will force people to take transit causing a lost of revenue since it will be higher than what transit will generate in the first place.

As Miller said, Toronto is the heart of the GTAH and lines should be built out of it connecting with the 905.

Not everyone wants to go to Toronto to get to other parts of the 905 in the first place. Riders are force to do this now and Miller needs to understand this. It his way of trying to get the lion share of capital project that are on the books under Move2020 as well City policy's under the city official plan. Toronto has to update their official plan to add TC and other lines to the plan if there is not to be an EA battle like St Clair. Until there is an official plan in place, MOE will have to deal with all EA concerns that exist today regardless if it only 6 months time frame for new EA's.

The white paper will be delay by 2 weeks with no change to final date of the RTP. All Metrolinx stakeholders meeting will be delay by a week or so. Public meetings are to remain the same.

The draft RTP and the report how to fund Metrolinx will go before the board in July.

Reading the hard copy of the White Paper's on the way home does cause me some concerns and will write on it on Metrolinx site.

The problem I have with the DLR going to Union, where are you going to put riders as well trains when there is no room within 10 years? 100,000 riders is all Union can handle. Then where do you put these riders on the streets when sidewalks can't handle the numbers now?

Again, you are forcing riders to go some place other than they wanted to in the first place. A lot of the DLR issues can be resolved by having local GO service within 416 every 10-15 minutes with more stations along "all" rail corridors.

Changing GO thinking is the big issue as well fare structure to get local service in 416 let alone 905.

If China/India or who every built a $2,500-$5,000 car that has a 100km/litres ratio, is green, guess where transit would be. More roads will be call for than transit.

Every time I looked around to say Hi to you, you were not there.

What can I say? I am a phantom :cool:

I don't recall what the specifics about Mayor Miller's proposal was, but its safe to say that he does not believe in road expansions and does believe in taking roadway space away from private vehicles and allocating it to Transit.

I fully agree that transit to and from Toronto, as well as within Toronto is extremely important. But we need to strike a balance between improvements in the 416 and in the 905. It doesn't have to be a 50/50 balance (which I guess doesn't make it a balance anymore), but if we neglect the suburbs then we'll have a congestion donut around Toronto - and that will be even harder to solve.

I worry that there won't be a model where greenhouse gas emissions go down. The model assumes an increase in vehicles on the road, and you might have to change that base assumption in order to get the numbers to come out in the black.

Given the shenanigans at the TTC, has Metrolinx touched on how the labour would be allocated?

We can't have the entire region of 6 million served by a system beholden to one union. If only Mississauga drivers are striking, the rest of the region would be unaffected, and the region-wide agency (GO in this case) would still make transit accessibility possible. If all workers are represented by one union, everyone will be screwed.

The problem I have with the DLR going to Union, where are you going to put riders as well trains when there is no room within 10 years? 100,000 riders is all Union can handle. Then where do you put these riders on the streets when sidewalks can't handle the numbers now?

Those are very good questions. I definitely understand where you're coming from, but the original DRL plan designed an additional two platforms at the station, which would by itself dramatically increase capacity. Even more importantly, the DRL provides two additional stations in Union's catchment area. John and Jarvis will both attract passengers who presently use Union. John, in particular, would take loads off peak times at Union, when games at the SkyDome let out. Together, this should provide enough additional capacity to ensure that Union does not become overcrowded.

In the future, I'd ideally like to see one vast fare-paid area in the GO and TTC subway concourses.

I think its great!

There are some things which I agree with you when you say that it will never see the light of day, and there are others which I think are much bigger priorities than you give credit to.

Overall, I think its the most comprehensive plan I've seen. It may not be we'll see built, but its good to see people thinking outside of the box.

Far out project - even silly ones - are worth discussing. I'm sure the earth going around the sun sounded silly at one time.

Has the date for the draft RTP release been changed from late June due to the delay in the release of the white papers?

Has the date for the draft RTP release been changed from late June due to the delay in the release of the white papers?

Everything has been pushed back 2 weeks. The release of the final plan remains the same.

Where do you get that 100,000 number from? Union Station already carries double that every day, and there are smaller stations in other parts of the world that carry a lot more. Union isn't anywhere near full.

I think he's talking about the subway station. But yes, you're right. We have a tendency to claim that stations are "full" when they move far fewer people than many other stations with far less infrastructure.

Oh okay. But still, if you look at Union's Wikipedia page, 65% of riders are on the subway. So that's about 130,000 riders every day in that little subway station, and only 70,000 riders on the 14 other tracks. There's a tonne of room for expansion at Union.

Back