News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

It’s not a CTV survey, it’s a link to Government of Alberta survey ( https://extranet.gov.ab.ca/opinio6/s ).

It’s an f’ing joke (just like their surveys on AHS and the CPP and a provincial police force etc.).

It includes a grand total of three questions, one of which is the first three letters of your postal code!

IMG_0656.png

The new RAM was announced by Ed Stelmach when he was Premier. You’d think they would have been able to come up with a good plan for the old one in the meantime.

It must be a particularly embarrassing decision even for them to announce this a day before a holiday weekend when everyone is still focused on last weekend’s fire in Jasper.

Clowns!

I went the exact opposite: if the old RAM needs to be demolished, I want to see a new version of Hawrelak Park c/w extension of the MUP from River Valley Road, a riverside promenade that's made of reusable material from the old RAM, and is able to host musical concerts, food trucks and annual events akin to the Heritage Festival.

As for the cost of demolition - oh hi Coliseum!

^
Hawrelak Park is municipal, this site and the RAM (and its material) are provincial. I’m not sure you can mix and match them like that.

As for the cost of remediation, it’s probably substantially higher for demolition than it is for repurposing. Demolition requires complete remediation while repurposing allows for isolating/encapsulating in place.

The above is true for the Coliseum as well noting that the precast panels - as one example - have an asbestos component which needs a nominal amount of management but is already encapsulated. Old boiler rooms can similarly be isolated in place whereas demolition and removal can be extensive and expensive.

^
Hawrelak Park is municipal, this site and the RAM (and its material) are provincial. I’m not sure you can mix and match them like that.

If you're gonna get all nit-picky about jurisdiction then let's designate it as a provincial park. Maybe it can be to Edmonton what Kananaskis is to the Banff/Calgary corridor. Perhaps it can tie nicely to the proposed urban park by the federal government.

If you're gonna get all nit-picky about jurisdiction then let's designate it as a provincial park. Maybe it can be to Edmonton what Kananaskis is to the Banff/Calgary corridor. Perhaps it can tie nicely to the proposed urban park by the federal government.
Since when is simply stating a fact getting “all nit-picky”? :)

Seems like the boat is sailed on the building. So let’s all fill out the survey to ensure we don’t get a piece of grass.

This is a perfect area for more activation. The sports courts we all dream of? A massive playground? A funicular connecting to the park below? Terraced seating and stairs/trails down the hill? A lookout? A small building with a CRU? Public washrooms?

I really hope they don’t just do another field to sit in. That’s our entire valley basically.

A gem of a building design-wise and nothing to be found?

---

We don't need more 'green spaces' there... but imagine a bunch of brownstones similar to Rossdale there with a little coffee shop and maybe a little restaurant over looking the valley.

Seems like the boat is sailed on the building. So let’s all fill out the survey to ensure we don’t get a piece of grass.

This is a perfect area for more activation. The sports courts we all dream of? A massive playground? A funicular connecting to the park below? Terraced seating and stairs/trails down the hill? A lookout? A small building with a CRU? Public washrooms?

I really hope they don’t just do another field to sit in. That’s our entire valley basically.

Would a beach be too much to ask?

A gem of a building design-wise and nothing to be found?

---

We don't need more 'green spaces' there... but imagine a bunch of brownstones similar to Rossdale there with a little coffee shop and maybe a little restaurant over looking the valley.
Yes, it was and still is a beautiful building certainly worth keeping and repurposing. If the government isn't willing to do that, just sell it off to someone as is and let them do it. This is disappointing.

However if it is torn down. the street facing part should be developed for exactly the type of residential and commercial suggested. Maybe much of the stone could be incorporated in whatever is built.

Back