News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The survey for the Old Strathcona Public Realm strategy opened today, and closes on August 28.

👀
Streetcar.PNG

Last edited:
What would the benefits of a streetcar (Toronto style? Or what?) be vs a BRT with dedicated lanes and great stops/shelters?
The permanency of streetcar rails provides assurances to developers that the route will not be moved/relocated compared to a bus route, which can easily be rerouted onto other roadways. Streetcars also provide more capacity per vehicle than a conventional bus (articulated buses come close). Streetcars also are cleaner operating as they're electric and quieter as well compared to conventional diesel buses. If electric buses were considered, they'd be on par with streetcars in terms of cleanlieness and noise I'd say.

If electric buses were considered, they'd be on par with streetcars in terms of cleanlieness and noise I'd say.
They'd be close, but microplastic pollution from rubber tires is actually a big environmental problem, and potentially enough of an air pollutant to impact human health. In that regard, although streetcars still drop shavings from their brakes, would their steel tires produce less air pollution?

The permanency of streetcar rails provides assurances to developers that the route will not be moved/relocated compared to a bus route, which can easily be rerouted onto other roadways. Streetcars also provide more capacity per vehicle than a conventional bus (articulated buses come close). Streetcars also are cleaner operating as they're electric and quieter as well compared to conventional diesel buses. If electric buses were considered, they'd be on par with streetcars in terms of cleanlieness and noise I'd say.
I would use this argument for the west valley line, but I feel like developers along whyte don’t need assurance the same way. Whyte isn’t changing whether it’s brt or Lrt. Still whyte. Whereas 104ave vs 107ave vs 87ave has a lot more unknowns for BRT and route permanence.

Pollution and noise make sense though! Electric would be great to see prioritized for all “people street” routes.

I would use this argument for the west valley line, but I feel like developers along whyte don’t need assurance the same way. Whyte isn’t changing whether it’s brt or Lrt. Still whyte. Whereas 104ave vs 107ave vs 87ave has a lot more unknowns for BRT and route permanence.

Pollution and noise make sense though! Electric would be great to see prioritized for all “people street” routes.
I finally got to truly see an electric bus in action and was very impressed by how quiet it was.

Back