News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Why would they demo it without a plan to start construction? Might the Province be looking to sell the land to a developer?

The building has been completely vacant for a few years now, and I believe it was vacated because it wasn't healthy on the inside and needed major renovations. It's probably cheaper to demolish it than to continue to maintain it in a mothball state.

During the Employees Town Hall meeting for the 900 Bay renovations project, it was mentionned that the 880 Bay site would be used as a staging area for the 900 Bay project (scheduled from 2018 to 2024) and no decision reached on long-term plans for the 880 Bay site.

If it's a staging area then that's great. If it becomes a parking lot, I would be disappointed.

If the government is reducing it's Toronto office footprint, where will the new space go? Or will there be no new space?

I think its not a reduction in headcount but leased / occupied state, like many companies are doing, could be wrong ?

I think its not a reduction in headcount but leased / occupied state, like many companies are doing, could be wrong ?
If it's a staging area then that's great. If it becomes a parking lot, I would be disappointed.

If the government is reducing it's Toronto office footprint, where will the new space go? Or will there be no new space?

I can't find the exact reference but from memory, current layout (larger cubicles, internal walls for multiple enclosed offices) means capacity of 3,600 employees. After renovation, the layout will be open floor plan (smaller cubicles, not as many enclosed offices and those will be much smaller) similar to the Gov of Canada Workplace 2.0 Property Standard which will result in capacity of close to 5,000 employees.

The hoarding along the sidewalk on Bay Street as demolition is now imminent, is the most interesting and best in Toronto, I think. The sidewalk, being wide at this point, allows for a neat solution: old shipping containers, painted white, with bright lighting make this pleasant to walk through and striking at night.
IMG_6047-002.JPG
IMG_6053-002.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6047-002.JPG
    IMG_6047-002.JPG
    723.7 KB · Views: 2,024
  • IMG_6053-002.JPG
    IMG_6053-002.JPG
    403.7 KB · Views: 2,012
Construction shot of original complex: Queen’s Park Project Site with steelwork for
Hepburn Block and Macdonald Block foundation walls in foreground, October 1965.

Photo: Government of Ontario Archives.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 949
Last edited:
I was walking past here the other day and just as I was passing the intersection I heard what I thought was an explosion. It was probably just something being demolished, but damn was it ever alarming. I even had my headphones on and it still shook me. Once I realized what was going on I actually appreciated the adrenaline boost. Added a bit of excited to a grey day! Didn't realize there as anything planned for here, so I didn't expect it at all.

Back