News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well, my definition of right-of-centre is likely at odds with yours. I'm an economic and political scholar, so my views on this are somewhat precise -- although there are other academics who may take issue with my definition.

In this case I was using the right-left scale on a purely economic spectrum; I view the centre-left and left as believing that people have a moral, ethical and political obligation to take economic actions to redistribute wealth more equitably. I view centre-right to right as generally holding the belief that government should generally shy away from economic interference and stick to things like justice, defence, and limited social services.

By my definition, even the Stephen Harper Conservatives are on the centre-left. I mean, if you considered Margaret Thatcher, or Mike Harris as being centre-right (which I do), then Harper is far to the left of them. Maybe he's more right-wing socially than others. But certainly not on economic concerns. There are very few true blue centre-right politicians in Canada these days. There isn't really a market for economically centre-right politicians.

There's a market for people who want government to spend, spend spend while also cutting taxes. And that's exactly what they get. But don't fool yourself into think that's a centre-right environment. It's a centre-left, socially democratic, populist environment with the main difference between the two major political parties being whether they'll fund feminist and gay cultural events or not. But everything else is practically the same.

Last edited:
But you have to admit that the scenario you propose - user fees reflecting the real cost of transportation both on the train and on the road - is incredibly unlikely to happen, as any government proposing it would be incredibly unpopular.

Your logic is sound, but we have to work within the bounds of our current political and fiscal reality.

As brockm has been arguing, their is no 'political reality' when such conflicts with reality itself. Being politically difficult and unpopular does not change the facts His arguments are well grounded. I would go further, and suggest that the due diligence on projected ridership and economic development are unrealistic. Transit city will not pay its own way, inclusive of all ancillary benefits.

So you prefer to continue with the status quo whereby we beg an Ontario Premier & Government for as in your example a 5 of the Ontario Income Tax :rolleyes: A % that on a whim could be changed or witheld :mad:

What benefit to Toronto or conversly to the Province of Ontario do you see from continuing to be a part of Ontario ?????????

I'd prefer it because it's more likely politically to happen. Although they're both very far-fetched ideas. And I'd prefer to see Toronto remain part of Ontario because the majority of the tax base of Ontario is in the GTA, so having Toronto (and likely the entire GTA as well) leave the province would devastate infrastructure projects throughout the rest of the province that need those dollars. An example would be highway improvements for the roads up to and in cottage country, which are used by a lot of GTAers.

This is getting pretty off topic, debating if transit should be funded at all.

Every city in the developed world funds the transit system, and some very basic economic literacy makes clear why. The reason every city funds transit is that it makes economic sense to do so as travel patterns generate large externalities. Externalities are costs borne by society that are not reflected in the operation costs or benefits to the user. Pollution and congestion are two big negative externalities of commuting by car. If you take transit, you don't get any direct benefit from the congestion that you have relived or the pollution that you have prevented. These accrue to the entire society. The entire society balances this by using government to discount each transit ride.

I don’t think public transit is supposed to be a profitable business. Or even that is should be breaking even from fare revenues. Public transportation is infrastructure that is supposed to aid the functioning of our society and economy. It should be subsidised so that people can move around the city, get to their jobs, get home without sitting in gridlock for hours and help improve quality of life. Toronto has to compete with other cities for jobs and investment and public transit is a part of this. The most successful cities in the world have advanced public transit systems and subsidize their construction and operation. The longer we ignore that expanding the public transit system is a key component of city building the more painful it will be in the future when we realize we have to catch up to other cities.

Of course, no we never hear of highway widening and extension projects being delayed, and they quite numerous. Public transit is not a frill, but it continues to be treated as such.

Actually, they cut half a billion in highway spending from the 2010 budget from 2009 projections. Transit cuts are popular on the right; highway cuts are not.

Forget TC for a minute; think about projects a little further down the pipeline that are now in peril:
- Hurontario LRT
- Hamilton LRT
- Waterloo LRT
- Ottawa LRT Subway
- Durham Highway 2 corridor
- Lakeshore "Super-GO"
The Waterloo LRT was a bad idea from the start, Toronto grows by the size of Waterloo every year, but Waterloo had several of the closest federal races, so if federal funds are going, provincial ones will come too, I expect. The rest are within the MoveOntario 2020 and Metrolinx's Big 15 and as such will be pushed into the future by a couple years.

Governments do not create jobs: for every job they "create", they destroy one in the private sector. Moreover, unintended consequences arise and resources aren't allocated as efficiently.

Checkout the broken window fallacy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window
You are arguing a zero-net sum game. Hiring a new teacher doesn't destroy some mythical tutors job, it creates a teachers job. Similarly, by reforming PST into HST, they expect private sector companies to have a higher profitability and afford more workers. Were is this 'destorying' jobs beyond a few tax collectors? Government employment is set to decrease 5% by 2013.

http://sarahthomson.ca/

HOW ABOUT THIS... Im not saying that i think that she would eb a good mayor for anything other then transit...but for the next 4 yrs transit is what we NEED... If we make pressure on the future mayors then itll become a issue.. and become unacceptable...

Mon. March, 29th - 6:00 pm
Meet the Mayoral Candidates in Scarborough
Mayoral Debate - Mary Ward Catholic Secondary School - auditorium, at 3200 Kennedy Rd., north of McNicoll Avenue
If she is willing to listen to input, if she is willing to admit her initial platform is infeasible, then I would be willing to vote for her. If not, I dread her having power over taxes and the TTC.

So you prefer to continue with the status quo whereby we beg an Ontario Premier & Government for as in your example a 5 of the Ontario Income Tax :rolleyes: A % that on a whim could be changed or witheld :mad:

What benefit to Toronto or conversly to the Province of Ontario do you see from continuing to be a part of Ontario ?????????
Legal presidence set in the Quebec referendum says that no region has the right to unilaterally secede from the union (municipalities to proviencial charter similarly). Assuming Ontario is willing to let Toronto/GTA walk away, any Provience of Toronto would inherit a significant part of the provincial debt. In addition, I don't think politicians at City Hall would be any less politically short-sighted than the same politicians at Queen's Park.

We are consistently mortgaging our future. This demand, this protest everyone is making is a demand to invest billions upon billions of dollars the province and federal government do not have. We have culturally become too used to getting what we want, even when we don't have the money. For consumers, it's their credit cards. And for the government, it's been their central banks that will just run their printing presses to pay for everything.

When the government borrows money -- as anyone who is economically trained well-understands -- it created consumer price inflation due to an increase in money supply, and it necessitates future tax increases, which decreases productivity.

If we want a transit system that keeps up with demand, then we are going to have to pay for it out of real capital. Not capital pulled out of the government's ass and offset to a future generation to deal with the consequences. It's time we made the TTC profitable, and if that means making a Subway ride $3.75, then so be it. If that means instituting fare zones, so be it.

People need to learn to pay the cost of what they use. If the real cost of transporting someone across Toronto on transit is $3.25 (and by my calculations, that's about what it costs), then we need to make people bear that cost. At the same time, I have no trouble making gas taxes bear the lion's share of maintaining roads and highways.

Transportation costs money. It costs energy and labour, and fixed-link systems have high capital costs. This needs to be reflected in the pricing structure. And if that means more money out of your pocket, so you can't afford to buy lunch out every day and you have to bring a bagged lunch to work everyday: so be it. That's reality, folks. Things cost money.

And I live in Toronto, do not own a car, and this would hit me in the pocket book. But let's be very honest here. If they raised a subway ride to $4.00 a trip, I'd still take the subway. It would still be more economical than owning a car. Even if I took the subway twice a day, every day, it would be less than $300 a month. The cost of car ownership is far higher than that.

And you know what, if the higher cost actually improved service, facilitated expansion of the network, and took fiscal pressure off City of Toronto and the Province, I think everyone would be a winner. And if poor people are a problem, then I say we can institute a subsidy program for them, but not for everyone else. If you can afford the bear the cost, you should.

</rant>
I hate relativism. Europe's debt load mostly stems from reconstruction from WWI and WWII. As Canada was not bombed, we should be in a stronger position. Debt and deficit leach funds from programs and infrastructure for interest payments. Increasing healthcare costs, increasing debt and interest payments, and a proporationately shrinking work force means we don't have a lot of space for mistakes.

However, the GTA is set to increase by over 1.5 million people over the decade. The recession has interrupted a historic push to catch-up to growth over the last three decades and prepare for the next two. The 401 is pretty well accepted as both the widest (16 lanes) and busiest (sections of 420k AADT) highway in North America. The Lakeshore and Milton GO lines are running over capacity. The TTC is refered to as "Take The Car".

Economic development in the GTA affects 1 in 6 current Canadians and 1 in 5 by 2020. Transportation, after deficit/debt and healthcare, is where government can make the largest impact on our future spending-wise.

Eug, you just demonstrate my point. You talk as if the fare level should be a matter of opinion, of feelings -- a subjective whim. Instead of something that reflects fiscal and economic reality.

And saying that you're expressing those feelings as a non-regular transit user does not enhance the value of your argument in any way. Make an argument, and support your case. I don't suffer people who feel the need to make vapid self-qualifications for unsupported arguments.

The point about fares is that governments can collect money in different ways. Collecting a flat fare for 100% of operational costs per capita is a highly regressive tax pattern. By applying funding streams collected from the wider population base, costs are subsidized based on the advantages that such subsidization brings. For example, supply and demand would say that as price increases, demand decreases, assuming there is not suppressed demand, which there definately is at critical points and times on the system. As prices go up, more people use alternative transport (private vehicles), which would cost the City more money to releave congestion.

What is required is deticated multi-year funding streams. Any operational expenses that outgrow the combined set municipal, proviencial, and federal funding increases would result in a fare hike.

What exactly is the difference in paying subsidies to individual riders rather than to the TTC?

The Left-Right debate tries to shoehorn everyone into one scale. Reality is generally more complex that that and calling people Left-Right just a political tool to discount any statement as rhethoric without actually looking at the issue.

And I'd prefer to see Toronto remain part of Ontario because the majority of the tax base of Ontario is in the GTA, so having Toronto (and likely the entire GTA as well) leave the province would devastate infrastructure projects throughout the rest of the province that need those dollars. An example would be highway improvements for the roads up to and in cottage country, which are used by a lot of GTAers.

:rolleyes: Yeah subsidising the Forest Hill set getting to their cottages in Honey Harbour on well paved multi-lane Highways should be a TOP priority for residents of the GTA :confused:

I hate relativism. Europe's debt load mostly stems from reconstruction from WWI and WWII. As Canada was not bombed, we should be in a stronger position.

I'm sorry, but you're talking to someone who has studied this in great detail, and since I research and debate economics with other economists on a regular basis, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and call you out on this point.

Europe's debt position is hardly borne primarily of WWII. And Canada's lack thereof is hardly a result of the opposite. In fact, in the late 1980s / early 1990s, Canada's relative Debt-to-GDP ratio was far higher than that of Europe. I'm not going to recount economic history to you, but I'm going to say that you just pulled this point out of your ass. And I'm reasonably confident in making that assertion.

The point about fares is that governments can collect money in different ways. Collecting a flat fare for 100% of operational costs per capita is a highly regressive tax pattern.

I'm sorry, I debate with political people all the time who through the word "regressive" around all the time. I don't even think they know what they're saying when they say it. It's such a tired cliché, and there's about two thousand different opinions on what constitutes a regressive taxation scheme. If you're contrasting a pricing system that is based on cost, as opposed to ability to pay with the explicit assertion that the service should be accessible to all, regardless of payment ability therein, then I guess it's regressive. But that's a highly politicized position.

In that sense, all non-free, non-government products and services are "regressive".

Assuming Ontario is willing to let Toronto/GTA walk away, any Provience of Toronto would inherit a significant part of the provincial debt. In addition, I don't think politicians at City Hall would be any less politically short-sighted than the same politicians at Queen's Park.

Assuming part of Ontario's Debt is a non-issue for me as we are already on the hook for it being citizens of Ontario. You say "significant portion" well that would be up for negotiation remembering that citizens of the GTA send far more in taxes & fees to Queen's Park than are received back in services.

As for the short-sightedness of Municipal politicians I'd like to think & hope that a GTA with all the powers of a Canadian Province would interest a better & more capable type of person to serve the public.

I don't agree. This is the political reality, whether people accept it or not. People don't accept the fact they can't afford a two weeks in the Bahamas either, with their $23,000 of credit card debt. But we know they really can't.

We are a culture of debt. And we are not accustomed to concepts like saving, restraint, and austerity anymore. No, we are the "I want it now!" culture. But having it "now" means you're not going to have something else -- possibly something you need -- tomorrow.

We have short memories in this country. Really short memories. At the beginning of the 1990s, Canada's fiscal position was that of a third-world country. We were in danger of losing our credit rating, interest rates were out of control, and government defaulting on it's debts was a real possibility. Then we had the Chretien Liberals come in and turn that around at the Federal level, and the Mike Harris Tories come in and turn that around at the Ontario level. And it caused real pain for everyone.

Unfortunately, some people are still of the opinion that the pain endured in the 1990s was unnecessary and overdone. Well, look at the numbers folks. If it wasn't for the actions of people like Jean Chretien, Paul Martin, and Mike Harris... Canada wouldn't be so strongly positioned today. They forced us to endure pain, to pay for our past mistakes. And we've now backslid into the pre-1990s mentality of spending on credit and turning our noses up at well -- people like me.

When will people wake up and realize that you don't get something for nothing?

I take it you don't agree with the Toronto Board of Trade, or the OECD report claiming that lack of transit options cost the GTA $2.3 billion on an annual basis, then?

Having an infrastructure deficit is no better than having a budgetary deficit. Think of it this way: would you rather be homeless with no debt, or have a house and a mortgage?

Back