News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The Union Flag represents the differing parts of the UK via its crosses (although, realistically excludes Wales -although, technically Wales is represented via St. George's cross). I think it still speaks to current Britain (so long as Northern Ireland and Scotland remain part of the Kingdom). It doesn't speak to modern Ontario though.

I think there's a way to remove colonial heritage without disconnecting ourselves from our shared British heritage either. For instance, some countries in the Commonwealth don't have QEII as their Head of State. Moreover, renaming cities/provinces is a non-starter and rarely a good idea that anyone would support. It's sort of like people changing their names based on where they live and is increasingly rare. Flags, anthems, etc. are relatively easy to change and can make a huge difference in how a jurisdiction views itself moving forward. The Canada flag debate (and the immediate non-debate and acceptance following it) is as good an example as any of how it can be done and how the naysayers will quickly forget, accept, then embrace it.
Not just that, but many of the most vocal naysayers of the current Canadian flag are dying out, while there are many Canadians who only know of the current flag.

Moreover, renaming cities/provinces is a non-starter and rarely a good idea that anyone would support.
Rarely done, but there certainly instances where we've renamed previously British or European place names to suit the changing political climate. For example, rhe Queen Charlotte Islands have been renamed Haida Gwaii.

Rarely done, but there certainly instances where we've renamed previously British or European place names to suit the changing political climate. For example, rhe Queen Charlotte Islands have been renamed Haida Gwaii.

The City of Berlin was renamed the City of Kitchener in 1916. See link.

Yes, but one was due to a massive World War and the other was due to a historic native reconciliation agreement. These aren't everyday occurrences. Basically, none of our major cities or any of our provinces are likely to ever go through anything similar.

The name of Toronto for the area existed before the Town of York. However, Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe didn't like the name, so renamed it York in 1793, after Frederick, Duke of York, King George III's second son. The name York lasted until 1834, when it became a city and was renamed back to Toronto.

The French used Toronto as a place name before the British, establishing the first European settlement here at the mouth of the Humber River in 1720. It was called Fort Toronto. According to historian Percy Robinson, the British wanted to distance themselves from the history of French settlement and trading in the area when they established their settlement in 1793. They chose York as a very British place name.

The French used Toronto as a place name before the British, establishing the first European settlement here at the mouth of the Humber River in 1720. It was called Fort Toronto. According to historian Percy Robinson, the British wanted to distance themselves from the history of French settlement and trading in the area when they established their settlement in 1793. They chose York as a very British place name.
Also known as Fort Rouillé I believe.

Fort Rouillé was a second fort built in 1759 on the current exhibition grounds. Neither fort lasted more than 10 years from what I read.

I know it's not going to be popular here, and most will quote what I write and disagree, but I like the flag we have. It reminds us of the heritage of Ontario, where its European-origin settlers were Empire Loyalists fleeing the US revolution. It also reminds us the crown through the Lieutenant Governor's office. Does the flag speak to newcomers? Probably not, no more than the Union flag speak to many UK citizens today. Is that a reason to change it? I'm not convinced. If we're so eager to remove and forget any connection to our British roots, should we rename British Columbia, Victoria, Vancouver, Halifax, etc, etc....

As a 'newcomer', I appreciate and value the British heritage found throughout Canada. I've always liked Ontario's flag since I recognised it as such.

While I'm all for putting an end to the monarchy, the symbols can stay: they are one of the few aspects of our public realm which make people curious about Canada's past.

Canada's flaunting of the union jack also demonstrates that a violent revolution is not the only way to rid of imperialism - as our neighbours south of the border (ironically imperialists themselves) would suggest.

The 50th anniversary of Ontario's flag is approaching in May. Here's my alternative:

Test6A.png

Attachments

• Test6A.png
    Test6A.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,273
50 years of this?

attachment.php

Boring. Time for a real flag of Ontario. Not one put together in remembrance of Diefenbaker's preferred Red Ensign.

If you strip away the Union Jack and Cross of St. George from the current Ontario flag, what you're left with is the three gold maple leafs on a green field from the Ontario coat-of-arms. I wanted to keep those colours and symbols in a way that said "2015" and not "1965".

I actually like your design, Krago. I'd love to see some competition for it, though, we need some debate! :)

Back