News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yonge North is perpetually in limbo until DRL is funded.

The good news is that if York Region with its swing-ridings really do hold so much political sway in Ontario, then it is from that pressure we will finally act on the DRL.

No I mean.. the Yonge North extensions is not funded, it's not going ahead.

Yonge North is perpetually in limbo until DRL is funded.

The good news is that if York Region with its swing-ridings really do hold so much political sway in Ontario, then it is from that pressure we will finally act on the DRL.

Okay, I thought they were going a head

Sad that we are relying on YR to get the DRL to go.

There wasn't much clamouring for subways before RoFo came along.

This is the ugly truth. If people want Sheppard done so bad they could have voted so during the entire time Miller was in office. Ford opens his mouth in 2010 and now everyone hates LRT? Yeah Right.

i don't disagree with the notion that during the prior administration there was no clamouring for a subway extension....generally a fairly non-contested (in the public eye...not on transit boards) image of transit city and it's LRT lines was being presented....they were modern, worldly, cheaper and faster to build, etc etc. As far as the SRT I think people were just clamouring for a replacement and perhaps if Mr. Miller had moved on that first it would have done LRT the world of good....not only would the SRT be replaced but the people would have gotten to see just how effective an LRT is operating in its own right of way and it would have taken away the "they are just jumped up streetcars" dialogue.

That said, I am not sure you can just lay this on Ford.....it seems to me Mr. Murray was the most prominent user of the words "second class" when he was proudly funding the expansion of the subway instead of LRT....telling the people of Scaroborough that they were no longer 2nd class. The double whammy of this language is that it is hard to move some minds in Scarbrorough back to LRT (ie back to 2nd class) and anyone else being considered for LRT (Finch, Sheppard East for example) now think that foisting it on them means they are 2nd class (the populace may not think this on their own but opposition politicos will be sure to remind them).

As someone who has been on LRT systems around the world, it frustrates me to no end when people say LRT is second class. I just can't understand where this sentiment comes from. LRT is not second class. They're fast, reliable, smooth, quiet, incredibly inexpensive and are the most flexible kind of transit available. Never have I heard people in cities with LRT complain that it's "second class" transit. Generally speaking, people have nothing but praise. We'd be blessed to have LRTs all around our city. I can't help but be a little jealous of the people who'll get to use SELRT and FWLRT.

Last edited:
i don't disagree with the notion that during the prior administration there was no clamouring for a subway extension....generally a fairly non-contested (in the public eye...not on transit boards) image of transit city and it's LRT lines was being presented....they were modern, worldly, cheaper and faster to build, etc etc. As far as the SRT I think people were just clamouring for a replacement and perhaps if Mr. Miller had moved on that first it would have done LRT the world of good....not only would the SRT be replaced but the people would have gotten to see just how effective an LRT is operating in its own right of way and it would have taken away the "they are just jumped up streetcars" dialogue.

That said, I am not sure you can just lay this on Ford.....it seems to me Mr. Murray was the most prominent user of the words "second class" when he was proudly funding the expansion of the subway instead of LRT....telling the people of Scaroborough that they were no longer 2nd class. The double whammy of this language is that it is hard to move some minds in Scarbrorough back to LRT (ie back to 2nd class) and anyone else being considered for LRT (Finch, Sheppard East for example) now think that foisting it on them means they are 2nd class (the populace may not think this on their own but opposition politicos will be sure to remind them).
I acutally agree. I would not say I'm laying it on Ford, more that all these anti LRT people came out of their holes in late 2010. Just seems fake, like the whole debate is manufactured. But you and I agree that the BD extension is a bad percent, which is which people pushing the BD know well. This subway push won't end with the BD.

As someone who has been on LRT systems around the world, it frustrates me to no end when people say LRT is second class. I just can't understand where this sentiment comes from. LRT is not second class. They're fast, reliable, smooth, quiet, incredibly inexpensive and are the most flexible kind of transit available. Never have I heard people in cities with LRT complain that it's "second class" transit. Generally speaking, people have nothing but praise. We'd be blessed to have LRTs all around our city. I can't help but be a little jealous of the people who'll get to use SELRT and FWLRT.

We can blame the politicians all day but the people of suburban Toronto have almost all made it clear they have reservations about LRT at best. This problem won't go away on October 27.

We can blame the politicians all day but the people of suburban Toronto have almost all made it clear they have reservations about LRT at best. This problem won't go away on October 27.

And why do people have reservations? Because of politicians fear mongering and spreading nonsense and lies about LRT.

By the way the suburbs aren't as anti-LRT as they've been made out to be. Even in Scarborough the LRT is preferred to a subway by a wide margin.

And why do people have reservations? Because of politicians fear mongering and spreading nonsense and lies about LRT.

By the way the suburbs aren't as anti-LRT as they've been made out to be. Even in Scarborough the LRT is preferred to a subway by a wide margin.
If it was just that then there would have been widespread opposition to Transit city. There was not. I thought both subways were heavily favored in Scarborough?

Nonsense. People think LRT is second class because they perceive it as slow. And there is some factual basis to that. LRT will definitely be slower than a subway. On the flip side, LRT is faster than a bus, but that's largely because of two features you could easily implement on buses: exclusive right-of-ways and wider stop spacing. How fast would buses be going if they had their own lanes and stops were spaced 400m apart?

At this point, after years of riding the rickety SRT and being promised years and years of change, you can bet that Scarberians feel slighted. And with good reason. Transit investment seems to mysteriously run short at Victoria Park. And for all those cries about ridership, there seems to be no issues sending subways to grassfields in Vaughan. But heaven forbid that somebody invest in a subway along a corridor that falls just below the arbitrary (and ever moving) threshold decided by the powers that be.

At this point, I am resigned to the fact that other nothing will be built or the LRT will be rammed through. The only consolation for me, is that the whole crop of politicians, of all levels, who impose 2hr long commutes on buses for 2-3 years during construction, will pay at the polls at all subsequent elections.

I really don't get where these rants of yours come from, I have always lived in Scarborough and I do not feel slighted at all, transit investment is not running short past Victoria Park, a very significant portion of the LRT lines are/were in Scarborough.

And Vaughan gets a subway so we should too? That's ridiculous, and I am against the Spadina extension too, don't worry. And what is just so wrong with building the SLRT that is just as good if not better than the subway for half the price? Really? What is it? I just don't grasp what you are so up in arms about.

I really don't get where these rants of yours come from, I have always lived in Scarborough and I do not feel slighted at all, transit investment is not running short past Victoria Park, a very significant portion of the LRT lines are/were in Scarborough.

And Vaughan gets a subway so we should too? That's ridiculous, and I am against the Spadina extension too, don't worry. And what is just so wrong with building the SLRT that is just as good if not better than the subway for half the price? Really? What is it? I just don't grasp what you are so up in arms about.
Honestly people feel the SRT is loud and rickety and the subways go underground and are perceived to be warm. Especially during winter.

Last edited:

Back