News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

My thought is that if a Dufferin alignment goes beyond Eglinton, then the goal should be interlining it with a Sheppard West subway extension. Subway loop anyone?

Dufferin north of Eglinton still has development potential even if it is too close to the Spadina Line. Multiple lines servicing Yorkdale Mall and the eventual Downsview redevelopment isn't a disaster by any means.

And, I am not saying it is, Dufferin in that stretch is a bustling neighborhood, but it is too close to the Spadina Line

I've always Ideally seen it dip south to King St. after Spadina, stopping at Bathurst, Strachan, and Atlantic, before turning up Dufferin with stops at Queen, Dundas, College, and Bloor. If you want to push it you could extend it to Dupont to service the Galleria Mall redevelopment.

It would be shorter than the standard Roncesvalles alignment, but would service a lot more density. Long term extension north of Bloor would probably only see it go to Eglinton, but honestly, that's fine with me.

Last edited:
I've always Ideally seen it dip south to King St. after Spadina, stopping at Bathurst, Strachan, and Atlantic, before turning up Dufferin with stops at Queen, Dundas, College, and Bloor. If you want to push it you could extend it to Dupont to service the Galleria Mall redevelopment.

It would be shorter than the standard Roncesvalles alignment, but would service a lot more density. Long term extension north of Bloor would probably only see it go to Eglinton, but honestly, that's fine with me.

Just to Eglinton sounds like a better idea.

Honestly, the lakeshore West and Kitchener rail corridors are pretty much perfect alignment for the Western DRL.

The East/south DRL should just terminate at Sunnyside, and upgrade those two rail corridors to handle local service.

Why is this thread needed? Why can't this discussion be moved to the Fantasy Maps thread? The RL west extension isn't coming before any of those fantasy lines.

Why is this thread needed? Why can't this discussion be moved to the Fantasy Maps thread? The RL west extension isn't coming before any of those fantasy lines.
Planning for Relief Line West will commence following the completion of Relief Line North.

The Relief Line North thread was created a little prematurely too, but I think within 2 years (someone should go check the timeline) discussion there moved from fantasy to discussing reports submitted by city staff.

I think I agree with splitting the thread, because the main Relief Line thread is very quickly going to enter the realm of discussing the logistics of constructing Phase 1, and discussion of RL West will become somewhat distracting.

Honestly, the lakeshore West and Kitchener rail corridors are pretty much perfect alignment for the Western DRL.

The East/south DRL should just terminate at Sunnyside, and upgrade those two rail corridors to handle local service.
In the short-term (say in the realm of Phase 3 expansion project), I am perfectly happy with a Sunnyside terminus. Sunnyside should become a regional hub and interchange station between GO, subway, streetcar network, and a Waterfront LRT servicing Lakeshore in Etobicoke.

Because, it makes sense to have a seperate thread for RL west, the main RL thread was becoming a thread about the RL West.
RL West is no more than a fantasy at this point. I do not expect to see it built in my lifetime, and I'm far from my mid-life crisis yet.

I'm not a fan of splitting threads up, but to be fair the RL West has been in Toronto's official plan for awhile now, ditto for the regional transportation plan. It's generally terminated at Dundas West, but like the 1985 DRL and Queen Subways of decades past a western terminus was never finalized - hence these discussions. Maybe it won't be built, but it's not exactly a "fantasy".

edit: and have posted these numerous times before, but if anyone hasn't seen them and wants to get a couple ideas have a look. These are a couple of early (1984-85) RL alignments for the west end. Take note that in the earlier one all lines serve Exhibition, either as a beeline or a spur. The spur is something I think has legs, and I'd like to see on the east side into the Lower Don Lands. Basically an inverted U bookending the E-W waterfront, perhaps as a separate service using shorter trains but on the same trunk.

Personal opinion, I like veering NW along Weston, Black Creek, Albion, maybe some Scarlett. Provides good coverage. But I do like branching, and the Queensway ideas are pretty neat. Lots of interesting stuff happening on that corridor, so perhaps both via branching? Though that's getting fairly fantastical.

IMG_3877.JPG

IMG_3888.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of splitting threads up, but to be fair the RL West has been in Toronto's official plan for awhile now, ditto for the regional transportation plan. It's generally terminated at Dundas West, but like the 1985 DRL and Queen Subways of decades past a western terminus was never finalized - hence these discussions. Maybe it won't be built, but it's not exactly a "fantasy".

@raptor, are you needing this ?

@thettctransitfanatic could you rename this thread from Proposed to Speculative? Isn’t that more appropriate as I thought Proposed refers more to a line that has been proposed by a government entity, not just some dudes drawing lines on a map. Thanks.

Last edited:

Back