News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

According to the City of North Bay, this is only available when the transit system is at "dynamic dispatching" mode, between 7PM and 11PM weekdays, and 7PM to 10PM Saturdays. This is helpful for when the mall is closed, but at daytimes, it will still mean either a walk through the tunnel under the tracks and through the mall, or out to Seymour Street.

According to the City of North Bay, this is only available when the transit system is at "dynamic dispatching" mode, between 7PM and 11PM weekdays, and 7PM to 10PM Saturdays. This is helpful for when the mall is closed, but at daytimes, it will still mean either a walk through the tunnel under the tracks and through the mall, or out to Seymour Street.
Makes sense. There is little sense in having a fixed route loop to the ON bus station when no bus is there - which is only roughly seven times per day for all routes (and some have other NB stops).

Makes sense. There is little sense in having a fixed route loop to the ON bus station when no bus is there - which is only roughly seven times per day for all routes (and some have other NB stops).

When I’ve taken the bus to Sudbury, I don’t bother with the former Saturn dealership that’s now the “main” bus terminal. I get off at the hospital, which is much more convenient to my parents’ house or my brother’s house whether they pick me up or if I take a GOVA bus. Even the bus from Timmins stops at the hospital before going to the terminal.

Northland does a pretty good job having multiple stops at major cities where it makes sense: it serves Lakehead University and the hospital in Thunder Bay, same with the Sudbury-Ottawa bus stopping at the hospital at North Bay, which is much closer to Nipissing University too. It stops at hospitals in Temiskaming Shores and Sault Ste Marie as well, despite having “main” stops for those places too.

So will this "on demand" bus meet the ONR bus at times outside of their operating hours? So like if the ONR bus arrives in North Bay at 5am?

So will this "on demand" bus meet the ONR bus at times outside of their operating hours? So like if the ONR bus arrives in North Bay at 5am?
Not according to the times in ShonTron's post which is from the North Bay Transit website. They don't operate an overnight service. I'm not sure many municipalities other than the very large ones, do.

Why couldn't they just add the loop when the bus is in there? If you knew that a bus will drop you off for the other bus and vice versa, it would be better than calling it in.

Via onrgallery's IG account (link to post).

Screenshot_2022-10-18_201149.jpg

Nice to see they are bringing track evaluation in-house. Up until now they have contracted CN or CP.

My read is that they don't need this for the services they currently offer. This could be one step to restoration of the Northlander.
Perhaps but I wouldn't read too much into it. They have their entire network evaluated - I think annually - by either CN or CP evaluation crews. This will obviously help them assess the trackage as (if) they want to make speed improvements to the future passenger corridor rather than having to call in somebody else to assess just a portion of their network between 'regular readings'. Keep in mind a big chuck of the proposed passenger route will be on CN property south of North Bay.

Maybe a deal came up on 'RR Kijiji'.

A 72 year old car which has been a rail analyzer for 11 of those

Perhaps but I wouldn't read too much into it. They have their entire network evaluated - I think annually - by either CN or CP evaluation crews. This will obviously help them assess the trackage as (if) they want to make speed improvements to the future passenger corridor rather than having to call in somebody else to assess just a portion of their network between 'regular readings'. Keep in mind a big chuck of the proposed passenger route will be on CN property south of North Bay.

Maybe a deal came up on 'RR Kijiji'.
I look at it this way: If they have been contracting it out to CN and CP, why did they suddenly decide that they no longer want them to do it? They just did it this summer too! They must feel they need to do them more often, or they need to do them often enough that they need to own the equipment.

With various photo ops, I fee this is the first tangible thing that points to a real return of the Northlander.

Back