News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

What a great city Montreal is.

How is it doing in terms of growth, investment, development, in-migration, etc? It would be great to see it flourish.

How is it doing in terms of growth, investment, development, in-migration, etc? It would be great to see it flourish.

I think Montreal has been doing well these past few years. Things are looking up.

The Toronto vs Montreal bullshit is just that.
Canadians should be fortunate to have these two fantastic cities in their country.

Right on!!

the economy is steady, there's a fair amount of residential development (though virtually no office development) and we're on track to about 40,000 immigrants this year. so in other words, things are pretty good -- not as good as they could or should be, but decent nonetheless.

I wrote an article on this issue last year for school.
It turns out that, even today, Montreal is far behind Toronto on certain things (I apologize for the Dutch captions in some of these figures):

In Montreal, 23 out of 143 local districts had an average income of $70,000 or more. In Toronto, 25 out of 50 local districts had an income of $70,000 or more.

Montreal attracts domestic migrants mainy from Quebec. Toronto, on the other hand, attracts immigrants from all over the country (except Quebec).

Montreal has got a much smaller foreign-born population aswell.

In terms of business, Montreal is the big loser here ever since the Bloc Quebecois came up.
Check out the number of business people flying to Montreal in the sixties and in 1975:

Montreal somewhat was a centre for the Atlantic provinces aswell in 1960. It lost its role as a regional hub, instead becoming a provincial centre:

My conclusion was, the Quebecois 'stick to themselves' and are getting isolated from the rest of anglophone Canada. Business have departed after the Quebec nationalist movement came up.

Back