hoggytime

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score

Previous Discussion on Skyscraperpage Ottawa

Developer Website

Render:

Screenshot 2024-02-01 175836.png

They really went out of their way to make this one as ugly as possible. Did they really have to use the same precast panels for the blank wall on the Eastern facade?!? The whole thing reeks of cheapness.

20231219_112433.jpg
20231219_112521.jpg

I was quite excited when this was announced and we saw the original render, now I regret my excitement. Beurk

And that east facade, it looks like there's enough set-back from the property line that they could have added windows. How do you build a tower with 2 blank walls?

Looks to be a residence inn from the front side.
Can we do the biggest mural of the city on this one? North and west sides please.

I wonder if all of the new hotel, rental and condo units along Rideau will begin to lessen the vagrancy problem? Btw when does the hotel open?

The front and east side of this tower are a 6.5/10, the back and west side of this tower are a 2/10. Gross

I can't comprehend how a hotel can have functional floor plans with so many blank walls.

The AC Marriott in Montreal, built by the same developer, has no blank wall (other than a sliver on one side of the podium), the materials are far better.

It's a truly bizarre design in every way. The random barcode vision glass also begs the question of how a functional floor plan can exist in this building. A firefighter's worst nightmare if the units are all scattered around in random configurations on the bottom 2/3 of the building.

It seem to me that a lot of the architectural decisions made in Ottawa in the 2010/2020's are 'lipstick on a pig' decisions....attempts to make something very basic and cheap appear to have some inkling of style...but in nearly every case, it comes off as worse than if they had just made it plain. The crosses at 'Story of Lowest Bidder & Charcoal Brick', the Wild n' Wacky brick patterns of Moon/Skye/Royale, the blank wall pattern and random barcodes of this hotel, the Tetris L panels of Andaz (and so many other buildings now), the weird brick inlays on the podium of that precast building at the old Travelodge, the horrid materials at Maison Riverrain that completely destroy a somewhat decent design....it goes on and on and on...

this is legitimately one of the worst bait and switch. rideau has been cursed with this stuff. first the story of garbage and now this lol

Am I seeing things are they adding terracotta fins at the top? At this point, they're just doing anything to piss us off.

Back