News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Good grief, it will be the end of 2010 before they even finish the EA, according to their schedule. Yet the election will be in November 2010 ... just in time to derail this again!

Looks like a great plan, hope they build it ... but isn't this the same plan that was floating around in the mid-1980s as the planned next phase after the BRT? Even the station names look the same.

Looks like a great plan, hope they build it ... but isn't this the same plan that was floating around in the mid-1980s as the planned next phase after the BRT? Even the station names look the same.

Fairly similar overall, but there are differences (e.g. location of the Rideau Centre stop)

I was doing some research in the NCC library recently and was surprised to find that the idea of a downtown tunnel for Ottawa has been around since at least 1912.

I think these are from the 1988 transitway grade separation study that you may have been referring to.

eastboundLRTtunnel.jpg

westboundLRTtunnel.jpg

1969 Hammer Study

3799467692_ed262ddda2_b.jpg

1912 Holt Report

Downtown Subway Alignment (Click to enlarge).

2009 Plan

Last edited:
Stop 10's name is chosen that way so that it is bilingual. If it were "Train Station" it would need to always appear in both languages, whereas "Train" essentially gets the message across in both English and French, even if it sounds a bit brusque.

It's the current name of the station on the transitway.

Edit: Although that doesn't explain the "Downtown East" and "Downtown West" names - I wonder if these are working names, to be refined.

I think these are from the 1988 transitway grade separation study that you may have been referring to.
Yes, that is likely what I remember; I lived in Ottawa in 1989, and the topic of the tunnel was frequently in the media.

And in 1989 most of those stations were already open, including Train. It was quite clear at the time, that those stations, at least from Campus east, had been designed to be upgraded to LRT.

I've been to some of the consultations. It's a good plan. I am glad they cancelled the old one. It did not make sense. Around 70-80% of the commuters in Ottawa travel east-west but they were going to refurbish and extend an existing rail line and take it right through the greenbelt.

It was the Ottawa equivalent of the Sheppard East LRT.

It would have squandered transit expansion funds for decades while doing close to nothing to ease bus congestion in the core, the raison d'etre for the rail conversion and the tunnel.

The new plan is a good one and they are doing thing concurrently to speed it up.

What's interesting in Ottawa is the growing resentment against the funding model. There's a lot of anger that Queen's Park is paying for all of Transit City but demanding that Ottawa pay for one third of its LRT plan.

the latest info

Staff report:
DOWNTOWN OTTAWA TRANSIT TUNNEL (DOTT) PLANNING AND ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT STUDY - RECOMMENDED PLAN

REPORT RECOMMENDATIONS

That the Transit Committee recommend that Council:

1. Approve the functional design for the Light Rail Transit (LRT) corridor from Tunney's Pasture to Blair Station and the Maintenance and Storage Facility as described in this report and detailed in Document 1.

2. Direct staff to initiate a formal, expedited Environmental Assessment (EA) process based on the approved functional design, and file the Environmental Project Report with the Ministry of the Environment in accordance with Ontario EA Regulation 231/08 for transit projects.

3. Direct staff to begin the property acquisition process as described in this report for subsequent consideration by Committee and Council, subject to funding approval in the 2010 Budget.

4. Direct staff to initiate the preliminary engineering and the procurement management process as described in Document 3, subject to funding approval in the 2010 Budget.

5. Direct staff to undertake an urban design study and a transportation study for the downtown that takes into account pedestrian, cycling facilities and residual transit service for post-DOTT implementation.

Memo:Strategic Plan for Bus Connections with Rail Line

Memo: Costs and Affordability - Downtown Ottawa Transit Tunnel (DOTT), Tunney's Pasture to Blair Station

And finally, a functional design of the recommended plan! (warning 142 megs!)

There are important lessons for Toronto here. The current mayor and council had the courage to call out the old plan on its failures. It would have done nothing for the vast majority of commuters and the bus congestion in the core. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars to retrofit the existing O-Train line with LRT though the added capacity (by going to two tracks) was not needed. Their council made the courageous decision to cancel the plan and start fresh. One can hope that the new mayor in Toronto would be equally courageous in addressing the flaws of Transit City.

Yeah, instead of having a fully funded started line that would have been built by now, the City now has a plan that is not even funded yet. And considering McGuinty's earlier reluctance to fund the previous plan, who knows if this will actually be built.

I hope it is built. The city cannot rely on buses forever. But I have a feeling Ottawa is going to waiting for a while, before anything is built.

Yeah, instead of having a fully funded started line that would have been built by now, the City now has a plan that is not even funded yet. And considering McGuinty's earlier reluctance to fund the previous plan, who knows if this will actually be built.

I hope it is built. The city cannot rely on buses forever. But I have a feeling Ottawa is going to waiting for a while, before anything is built.

Yeah. Just build for the sake of building. That's the right attitude. Don't bother about wasting a decades worth of transit funding on a line that does not ease bus congestion, duplicates existing service and does nothing for the 70% of commuters who travel east-west in Ottawa.

The old plan had a third of its line running through the greenbelt. That's worse than the LRT to the Zoo in Toronto. But hey at least they would have built something right? Just the attitude that's being taken to Transit City in Toronto.

Yeah. Just build for the sake of building. That's the right attitude. Don't bother about wasting a decades worth of transit funding on a line that does not ease bus congestion, duplicates existing service and does nothing for the 70% of commuters who travel east-west in Ottawa.

The old plan had a third of its line running through the greenbelt. That's worse than the LRT to the Zoo in Toronto. But hey at least they would have built something right? Just the attitude that's being taken to Transit City in Toronto.

Toronto can definitely learn from Ottawa. Do NOT cancell fully funded lines with contract already signed for political reasons. I used to live in Ottawa, and I keep tabs on the politics.
Is it true the city has to dip into it's reserve funds to pay the $35 million lawsuit? The city would have had a LRT line, and could have used this line to show the province, and federal government that LRT can work in the city. That "courageous" decision left the City with a $35 Million lawsuit, and a plan that neither level of government seems interested in funding any time soon.

The plan is good. But O'brien hobbled transit development in the city just so he can get elected. Sad.

Most Ottawa residents focus on this $35 million tab from the lawsuit and forget that had they built the line anyway they would have squandered $800+ million in transit expansion funds for a line that served hardly anyone. And since it hardly served anyone, OC Transpo would have still had to spend large sums of money maintaining almost the current level of bus service. So essentially, no reduction in operating expenses.

In my books, O'Brien made the right choice. Keep in mind that by the time he got elected they were going to run this thing at-grade through downtown. So essentially, they were going to trade bus congestion for tram congestion....all while still maintaining bus congestion in the core since the LRT would have barely made a dent in the number of buses running through downtown.

As for the final price tag. Just wait for it to become a political issue. There is developing anger in Ottawa over the fact that TO is getting Transit City completely paid for yet Ottawa is being told its plan is too expensive. And it's really not even that expensive. The overall 5-6 billion dollar pricetag is a 25 year regional plan that includes several transitways as well. It's more comparable to the $55 billion MO2020 commitment made by the province to the GTHA. The LRT portion is 2.1 billion. That's proportionally a lot cheaper than Transit City. The bulk of the price over the old plan increase coming from the incorporation of the downtown tunnel and underground stations, all of which is needed to actually reduce congestion in the core. If McGuinty turns it down, I can see a backlash forming in this town.

Finally, please tell me how you can justify spending money to duplicate an existing transit line, have the majority of its extended length run through completely undevelopable land to terminate at a sprawling suburb all while deriving no real benefit from reduced operating expenses? Yet you suggest O'Brien was anti-transit for cancelling this monstrosity? $35 million is a small price to pay to scrap this boondoggle. I will gladly take the hit on my taxes.

The lesson Toronto needs to learn is not to throw good money after bad. Don't build something just for the sake of building it. And don't build lines just because there's money to build it, if they don't make sense operationally. There's no use building transit lines that do nothing to reduce the operational burden. Transit should be built to attract as many riders as possible and move them as quickly as possible to where they want to go. I am deeply skeptical, lines like the Sheppard East LRT would do that. Who in Scarborough would go out of their way to take the SELRT? If you're on Finch, you'll stick with the Finch Bus to get to Yonge. Ditto for anybody on Lawrence. I fail to see how the SELRT will be a huge draw for riders outside the Sheppard corridor. And that's just one example from Transit City.

Last edited:

Back