News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I have to disagree with the opinions expressed about the NS line in this thread.

-it was for $25-30 mil per KM (depending on what you include), including vehicles, park and rides, and the maintenance facility and other projects like pedestrian bridges, much cheaper than any Transit City Line. It was also fully funded from Provincial/Federal pledges, development charges, reserves, and gas tax. The planned EW line would have been perfectly timed for stimulus money.

-the line would have had 42,000 shortly after opening, 72,000 by 2021 and 92,000 by 2031, more than many entire systems in the US and certainly good value for money.

-the line significantly improved service not just for the suburban communities but for the O-Train corridor and especially redeveloping areas near Preston Street, not to mention a number of development proposals cancelled because of the LRT cancellation. It would have siginifcantly improved service to Carleton University and the Confederation Heights employment areas.

-As it was greenfield, single tracked (south of Leitrim), and at-grade, Riverside South/Barrhaven was a relatively small portion of the cost (except for the Stranherd Armstrong Bridge, but that was being built anyways as a road bridge and LRT was a small part of the cost) but it made up 40% of ridership

-*Any* line to the suburbs in Ottawa has to go through the Greenbelt, so there's no point complaining about that since at this point its not likely the Greenbelt will be developed. Kanata, Orleans, and Barrhaven all already have BRT/dedicated highway lanes through the Greenbelt (with the Cumberland Transitway and upgrades to the Kanata/Orleans routes to come)

-Riverside South had been planned since the early 90s, with rapid transit as part of the plan ( you can see the basic route designated as a future rapid transit corridor in the 1997 TMP). Rapid transit was always going to go there, with the successful pilot project of the O-Train and the RTES they decided it would be LRT. It's not something dreamed up by developers, it was a key part of Ottawa growth strategy for years before anyone was living in Riverside South.

-I don't think they should have put the downtown portion on Albert/Slater in the same lane as the buses, and they should have implemented signal priority in the downtown as well

-In any case, they are still building the NS line as part of the new plan (I like the new tunnel plan too :) )

-WRT to the tunnel, with the previous 2003 TMP plan basically the arguement was that given the limited funding resources and cost to convert the transitway they should be building new corridors until absolutely necessary. They had said it was not needed for 2021 provided improvements were made to Albert-Slater (I don't think they've been made yet)... I'm happy we now have the political will for a tunnel and hopefully we'll get the funding too!

I have to disagree with most of that. Here's why:

1) I liken the LRT to Riverside South as the Spadina Subway for the Allen Expressway. They would not have been accepted if the provision for transit wasn't there. Having said that, and having been to Riverside South, there is no way that any of the development occuring there could even qualify as being transit-oriented development, so the idea that an LRT would suddenly turn it from sprawl central to a transit-oriented neighbourhood is bogus. A density of 8 people per hectare is barely even suitable for a local bus, let alone a major LRT route. Simply put, the LRT provision was put in there so that the developers could continue building sprawling neighbourhoods, but at the same time save face and look like they were doing something that was somewhat transit accessible.

And the extension to Barrhaven is even worse! 1 tracked means a) lower frequencies than the Transitway buses, and b) it would have taken longer to reach downtown by LRT than by bus! How on earth can you justify building a system that is slower than the system already in place?

2) The idea that we needed to build the north-south line first was also completely mis-intentioned. We already HAVE a north-south line. Granted, it is limited in it's capacity, but it's there. Upgrading the N-S line first still only leaves you with 1 line when all is said and done. Spend the little bit extra and build the E-W line, that way you have two lines running (albeit, totally different frequencies and technologies, but still 2 different lines).

3) The tunnel is the most needed part of the entire line. The system works relatively well, except for the downtown portion. Heck, I'd bet we could even get by with a BRT tunnel, but I agree we need to go to LRT eventually, so now is a good time to start.

On a completely different note, my vision for transit in Ottawa is different than what is being proposed now, so I'll outline it:

Ottawa should take a page from the GTA, that is to say, two different transit systems, serving 2 different trip generators (local transit, and regional rail). There are rail corridors (some are now being used as bike trails, but could easily be recouped) that travel to every major suburban hub in Ottawa, and beyond. Why not use them? The only time the bus system is even close to at capacity is during rush hour, outside of that it works just fine.

My approach is two-fold:
1) Use GO Transit to provide a similar service to the NCR that they do to the GTA. Use the current train station in Ottawa as the hub, similar to Union in Toronto. Train services could be run from there to Kanata, Stittsville, Barrhaven, Riverside South, South Keys, Orleans, and theoretically all the way out to places like Manotick, Carp, Smith Falls, and Carleton Place, all for a fraction of the cost of upgrading the entire Transitway to LRT.

2) Build a combo LRT-BRT tunnel along the current alignment, only have the LRT run from the train station to Bayview. The LRT would carry the passengers from the train station into downtown. For people from the suburbs, even with this transfer, it would still be faster than the current BRT system, as there would be fewer stops. The other option (and a much more far-fetched one at that) is to tunnel from the current rail line to the old train station across from the Chateau, whereby it would truly be a Toronto Union station, as people could walk from there to work.

The idea is that the LRT would be used to shuttle people from the train station to downtown, and vice versa (also handling the inceased load on the busiest part of the line). The tunnel would also be used by the current BRT system. This leaves the door open for incremental expansion of the LRT east and west if needed, and also creates a truly regional transit system.

The basic philosophy underlying this idea is that people in the suburbs frequently drive to the BRT station anyway, so why not have them drive to a train station (in the case of Fallowfield, the two would be one and the same). Meanwhile, people inside the Greenbelt would use the existing BRT system, as it is fairly sufficient for them.

3) The capital cost for vehicles would be virtually nothing. GO is electrifying many of the lines in Toronto, which requires new rolling stock. A lot of the rolling stock used by GO is relatively new (in the case of some of the locomotives, brand new). Ship these up to Ottawa and use them there.

I really think that a dual-layered transit approach is the best solution for Ottawa.

EDIT: For times of the day where train service to certain areas is uneconomical, a bus service could be run instead, similar to how GO buses replace GO train routes at certain times of the day.

Last edited:
I thinking having GO Transit operate commuter trains in Ottawa is a great idea. GO stands for Government of Ontario. There's no reason GO can't run GO trains in Ottawa. I guess the question is, are there tracks there they could use? How extensive are they? How much would it cost? Has the City of Ottawa thought about inviting GO to operate there? There's lots of questions that need to be dealt with before GO can run its system there as well.

On the plus side, if we call it GO Ottawa it could be abbreviated GOO.

I have to disagree with most of that. Here's why:

1) I liken the LRT to Riverside South as the Spadina Subway for the Allen Expressway. They would not have been accepted if the provision for transit wasn't there. Having said that, and having been to Riverside South, there is no way that any of the development occuring there could even qualify as being transit-oriented development, so the idea that an LRT would suddenly turn it from sprawl central to a transit-oriented neighbourhood is bogus. A density of 8 people per hectare is barely even suitable for a local bus, let alone a major LRT route. Simply put, the LRT provision was put in there so that the developers could continue building sprawling neighbourhoods, but at the same time save face and look like they were doing something that was somewhat transit accessible.

And the extension to Barrhaven is even worse! 1 tracked means a) lower frequencies than the Transitway buses, and b) it would have taken longer to reach downtown by LRT than by bus! How on earth can you justify building a system that is slower than the system already in place?

2) The idea that we needed to build the north-south line first was also completely mis-intentioned. We already HAVE a north-south line. Granted, it is limited in it's capacity, but it's there. Upgrading the N-S line first still only leaves you with 1 line when all is said and done. Spend the little bit extra and build the E-W line, that way you have two lines running (albeit, totally different frequencies and technologies, but still 2 different lines).

3) The tunnel is the most needed part of the entire line. The system works relatively well, except for the downtown portion. Heck, I'd bet we could even get by with a BRT tunnel, but I agree we need to go to LRT eventually, so now is a good time to start.

1) The original part of Riverside South is pretty low density (likely approved pre-amalgamation by the old city of Gloucester) but the area where the rapid transit line would have been hasn't been built yet. In their CDP that was done along with the LRT line, Riverside South is being planned for 31 units per net hectare overall, with higher densities concentrated within walking distance of stations (about 58% of units will be townhomes or apartments). Nothing revolutionary, but not abysmal. The City also has core/downtown planned for each of its suburban communities, and in recent years/months they are seeing applications come in to develop these areas (except for Riverside South, since the core doesn't exist yet :)).

The single track for Phase 1 (done as a cost cutting measure) gave a frequency of 10 minutes for Riverside South (south of Leitrim) and Barrhaven... not too bad, and double tracking/more suburban stations would come as demand increased and these places were built out. And although the Barrhaven extension wasn't supposed to be implemented in the original phasing, they put it in because they'd save about 30% compared to doing it separately. The price for the Barrhaven extension was $11 million per KM incl vehicles/stations.. all covered by transit-only grants/reserves/DCs.. if only Sheppard East was that cheap ;)

The best part of of the extension to Barrhaven would be to better connect it to employment and shopping in south Ottawa and places like Carleton University and Carling/Preston, and to eventually function as semi-local transit within/between Barrhaven and Riverside South Town Centres (when future stations were built stop spacing would be about 400-550 m in Barrhaven and 500-1400 metres in RS). Another key reason was to spur development in Barrhaven's town centre. Going downtown on the transitway would be faster for most Barrhavenintes, but that wasn't the point of extending it to Barrhaven.

The new plan has the Barrhaven extension/Strandherd Armstrong Bridge, and part of the Riverside South corridor as BRT (transfer is in the future core of Riverside South)

2) The "North-South" is a bit of a misnomer... it only goes south from Ottawa's downtown, not north of it to Gatineau, so it's a bit unfair to compare it with an "East West" corridor that's more than twice as long as long. There already is an "East-West" BRT line which was to be improved downtown and extended as part of the 2003 Plan, and the second phase of the 2003 Plan was to build a new East West LRT line, later followed by more "East West" LRT lines on Rideau/Montreal Road and Carling Avenue and Baseline BRT.

3) Agreed.. they had plans to improve Albert-Slater in the 2003 Plan, and you can still do things like eliminating cash boardings (have machines instead)/use smart cards, have specified stops for busses etc, use other downtown streets, etc... but inevitably there needs to be a tunnel downtown.

I'll try to respond to the rest tomorrow :) sounds a bit like the Friends of the O-Train plan

Last edited:
I thinking having GO Transit operate commuter trains in Ottawa is a great idea. GO stands for Government of Ontario. There's no reason GO can't run GO trains in Ottawa. I guess the question is, are there tracks there they could use? How extensive are they? How much would it cost? Has the City of Ottawa thought about inviting GO to operate there? There's lots of questions that need to be dealt with before GO can run its system there as well.

Unfortunately Ottawa's train station is far east of downtown. It used to be right across the street from the Chateau Laurier. The tracks, which ran on either side of the canal, were torn up and converted into parkways and the lovely former train station is now a sad, underused convention facility.

Theoretically you could run commuter trains and have people transfer to LRT for the last part of their trip, but people coming from the west and the south surely wouldn't like all that backtracking.

1) The original part of Riverside South is pretty low density (likely approved pre-amalgamation by the old city of Gloucester) but the area where the rapid transit line would have been hasn't been built yet. In their CDP that was done along with the LRT line, Riverside South is being planned for 31 units per net hectare overall, with higher densities concentrated within walking distance of stations (about 58% of units will be townhomes or apartments). Nothing revolutionary, but not abysmal. The City also has core/downtown planned for each of its suburban communities, and in recent years/months they are seeing applications come in to develop these areas (except for Riverside South, since the core doesn't exist yet :)).

Oh so it would have been pretty mcuh like the Spadina extension to VCC :O!!!

That's exactly what it reminded me of, haha. Except it's even worse, because it's an LRT line through a corn field.

Unfortunately Ottawa's train station is far east of downtown. It used to be right across the street from the Chateau Laurier. The tracks, which ran on either side of the canal, were torn up and converted into parkways and the lovely former train station is now a sad, underused convention facility.

Theoretically you could run commuter trains and have people transfer to LRT for the last part of their trip, but people coming from the west and the south surely wouldn't like all that backtracking.

I agree it's not ideal, it would be easier if you had a walkable train station like Union. But for people in areas further out, the backtrack still saves time compared to what they would be doing currently. And the system could be timed to have several LRT trains there during the morning rush hour so people don't have to wait to transfer.

Option B is take the funds from the LRT tunnel to dig a rail tunnel back to the old train station, that way the LRT isn't needed (well, still needed, but less urgently).

The only complication would be it would be difficult to expand the service into Quebec, because it's out of GO's durisdiction. OC Transpo is actually the only federally-managed transit corporation in the country (because it crosses provincial boundaries... I guess STO would be too, the Gatineau transit system).

And yes, there are many tracks in Ottawa, going out to virtually every suburban area in the city. The main VIA line west to Toronto has a stop at Fallowfield, which is where the southwest terminus of the Transitway also is (big Park n Ride lot too). That one is a no-brainer, you already have the station and the hub there for you. A rail line passes right through Silicon Valley North (ie the Kanata High Tech sector).

Some of the rail lines in recent years have been ripped up and converted to bike trails, but the ROWs are still there. I'm sure a deal could be worked out to build a new bike path directly beside the tracks.

I think the big bonus for Ottawa in getting GO service would be the "hand-me-downs" from Toronto (I know that sounds bad, but it's true). Significantly decreases rolling stock cost when the rolling stock is already owned by the company.

Just look at it this way: for the cost of building the Highway 7 expansion to Carleton Place, the entire GO network in Ottawa could have easily been established, including commuter train service out to CP, negating the need for the highway expansion in the first place. I mean, you don't need Lakeshore line style stations at first, stations like Bloor on the Georgetown line would do fine.

Except based on the Barrhaven part, the greenfield parts of the line cost 11 mil per KM instead of 300 million per KM.... similar cost to a new arterial road like the Terry Fox extension or the Hazeldean widening ($10-15 mil per KM)... and for the first phase they would have only built a few stations/P&Rs stations closer to existing development, adding more stations as development progressed. We already have BRT lines running through cornfields, that's always going to happen in Ottawa with its Greenbelt.

edit: In any case, I like the new plan too... which will still extend transit to RS (as LRT). First phase will be converting/twinning from Bayview to South Keys, later on they will extend from South Keys to Riverside South.

But I wonder if they'll later decide to just double track/extend the diesel line instead (and just have people transfer at Bayview). Some in Ottawa are calling for the O-Train to be extended to Quebec, but STO is building a busway in that corridor.

Last edited:
The new Ottawa transit plan is amazing. I really hope that it gets built. It will be genuine rapid transit.

One of the problems with PPP in general is that there is no incentive to future-proof the line, and in this case SNC Lavalin built the bare minimum to meet operational needs on day 1. As such, there were no Sheppard-style knockout walls included in the design that would permit train-lengths to be increased as ridership grows. As things stand, the rolling stock is barely bigger than SkyTrain Mark II cars, and with trainsets consisting of 2 x 20m cars, isn't exactly taking full advantage of the "train" concept.

The Canada Line train cars are exactly the same size as Toronto subway cars.

Last edited:
But I wonder if they'll later decide to just double track/extend the diesel line instead (and just have people transfer at Bayview). Some in Ottawa are calling for the O-Train to be extended to Quebec, but STO is building a busway in that corridor.

The busway will not involve ripping up the existing track. I will be built parallel to it and from what I can tell there is enough room being left in the corridor to allow for twinning of the rail line in the future or simply converting the busway too light rail. I think LRT from the beginning would have been better but given that Ottawa had not (and still hasn't) finalized their own LRT plan it made sense for STO to at least build a busway and start building up ridership.

I agree with Unimaginative2. The new plan is far superior and once it gets underway I suspect it will lead to huge improvements in the city. Right now the biggest setback is the NCC denying the city the right to use the parkway for its LRT line from Dominion too Lincoln Fields. It shouldn't cause too many setbacks at the moment since the first phase is only focusing on the section from Blair to Tunneys Pasture. In the long run I think it will be good because it will mean the line will have to be diverted through Westboro which actually means serving the heart of the population base instead of just passing them by like the current alignment does.

Commuter rail is also a good idea but I don't see that happening until LRT is well underway and at least a few lines or sections have been established. As someone mentioned earlier there are plenty of ROWs which could be used and serve useful population bases. The biggest setback to commuter rail is that the train station is not in a central location. This is partly why I am glad nothing it being pushed right now because I would like to see them come up with an excellent solution (be it a station downtown or coming up with a way to make connections from the existing station as easy as possible).

The main problem with the plan is it is really expensive, other than that it is awesome! Given that problem though I don't think the project will get built as planned.

Waterloowarrior,

While you point out many good points about the old plan, you forget that the old plan failed in its most central mission. It did nothing to solve bus congestion in the core. It only delayed it for a few years....and accomplished that while taking a major street in the core out of service for cars. Eventually, Ottawa would have gotten bus and tram congestion through the core.

Thank god O'Brien killed it. It was just starting to pile on more and more lunacy towards the end. Anything to justify it getting built.

edit: deleted points on old plan, moot point :)

4064865944_20901c3714.jpg

3996935642_1afc9222df.jpg

Really considering the hundreds or thousands of people in these shots vs. a few dozen in cars, you'd think they'd open up another lane somewhere in the core for buses, at least for the peak hours. If you've ever been on the MacKenzie King Bridge when a bus breaks down, you can really see the need for a tunnel (or at least some kind of major surface improvements like opening up Rideau/Laurier or taking cars off MacKing)

Last edited:
Back to the current plan... what do you guys think about the number of downtown stations? Some people wanted to change the spacing a bit and add an extra station. The small circle is 300 m from entrance, large circle is 500m, platforms are about 30-35 metres below ground.

image012.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the current plan... what do you guys think about the number of downtown stations? Some people wanted to change the spacing a bit and add an extra station. The small circle is 300 m from entrance, large circle is 500m, platforms are about 30-35 metres below ground.

Looks fine - given how expensive stations are it is good they kept the number down.

Looks fine - given how expensive stations are it is good they kept the number down.

I agree, it looks like most of the city is covered. I would design the station closest to Bank Street with the idea that one day there might be a 2nd LRT line terminating there. I just have a feeling that Bank St is going to be the next Yonge St, and having an LRT tunnel under it may be the next thing in 40-50 years.

I mean, the Prince Edward Viaduct was build in the 1910s, yet they had enough forethought to design it to be capable of carrying a lower deck. No reason why the platform can't be designed to have a perpendicular one placed somewhere around it.

Back