News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Yep. This project is essentially a subway/metro using LRT technology.

It's interesting just how varied LRT is. You can have anything from Toronto's streetcars which are essentially local buses on tracks, all the way up to the Confederation Line which is functionally a subway.

Yep. This project is essentially a subway/metro using LRT technology.

It's interesting just how varied LRT is. You can have anything from Toronto's streetcars which are essentially local buses on tracks, all the way up to the Confederation Line which is functionally a subway.

Thanks for the info, but I have t ask: why use light rail vehicles instead of heavy rail aka subway vehicles?

I mean, I'm not a technology expert, but I had thought that light rail vehicles are designed to have features such that it can run on the street, such as running from overhead power rather than third rail, and possibly other design choices for running on the street or in an open area.

Thanks for the info, but I have t ask: why use light rail vehicles instead of heavy rail aka subway vehicles?

I mean, I'm not a technology expert, but I had thought that light rail vehicles are designed to have features such that it can run on the street, such as running from overhead power rather than third rail, and possibly other design choices for running on the street or in an open area.
Both light and heavy rail could run from overhead or third rail. Both could also run on the street (rare in the case of heavy rail, given it would reduce capacity, but it happens occasionally).

Light and heavy refers to capacity more so than the any particular technology.

Both light and heavy rail could run from overhead or third rail. Both could also run on the street (rare in the case of heavy rail, given it would reduce capacity, but it happens occasionally).

Light and heavy refers to capacity more so than the any particular technology.

Montréal's Metro is essentially "light rail" in capacity. The Metro cars are the same width as Toronto's streetcars (2.54m), while Toronto's subway cars are wider (3.15m). The Alstom Citadis Spirit will have the same width as Toronto Transit City Bombardier Freedom cars, at 2.65m. See link.

Last edited:
OK so this line is "light rail" in terms of not having as much capacity per vehicle then.

The city uses light-rail vehicles so that future suburban extensions can run on street if necessary. However, all such extensions are not planned until the distant future (the city's immediate expansion plans are all grade-separated). Another factor is lower capacity, as well as turns--some of the ROW has fairly tight turns that would be difficult for a heavy rail vehicle to take.

I wonder why they didn't choose the same LRVs as Toronto & Waterloo for this line?

Same reason why Waterloo isn't using PRESTO cards. They had a competitive bid, and someone else won.

The Flexity Freedom wouldn't have even been allowed to bid for Ottawa's LRT because it didn't meet the speed requirement. One of Ottawa's posted contract requirements, was that the trains used must have a maximum speed of 100km/h or more, and the Freedom tops out at 80.

Montréal's Metro is essentially "light rail" in capacity. The Metro cars are the same width as Toronto's streetcars (2.54m), while Toronto's subway cars are wider (3.15m).
They may be slightly narrower than Toronto's subway trains, but they are also slightly longer than Toronto's trains. I don't think one normally considers a 200-metre long train that can run every 2 minutes as "light rail"!

They may be slightly narrower than Toronto's subway trains, but they are also slightly longer than Toronto's trains. I don't think one normally considers a 200-metre long train that can run every 2 minutes as "light rail"!

Montréal's stations are the same length as Toronto's. 152.4 m or 500 feet. See link.

Yep. Montreal chose to go with narrow, long cars rather than Toronto's wide and short ones. This allows Montreal's metro to have both directions in the same tunnel as opposed to Toronto's subway which needs two tunnels.

The platforms are the same length, but the trains in Montreal are slightly longer, taking the full 152 metres, rather than 138 metres in Toronto.

139.980 m actually. With a provision to add another car that exceed the platform but the doors would still open up within the platform.

Yep. Montreal chose to go with narrow, long cars rather than Toronto's wide and short ones. This allows Montreal's metro to have both directions in the same tunnel as opposed to Toronto's subway which needs two tunnels.
uh ... Montreal's cars, old and new, are shorter than the Toronto cars, not longer. They are the same length as the Toronto subway cars from the 1950s (the red ones), but shorter than all the ones built since.

Well at > 150m Montreal's trains are clearly much longer and higher capacity than the typical light rail train. Eglinton will run 2 car trains with 3 car trains if necessary, so either 60 or 90m.

Are there light rail trains that are longer anywhere in the world (>4 cars)? I think I've only seen 3 cars or less.

Back