News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I went to the Monday open house on the west extension. There was no presentation and no microphone at which to rant and foam about the destruction of Eden, and I think as a result some of the people who went actually learned something, since staff had a chance to explain things, using some abundant and clear illustrations. But my favorite moment was when a muppetish man launched into a tirade about how Cleary station was useless because no one lived there and no one would use it, then without pausing to breathe, launched into a second tirade about how the same station would cause traffic chaos and mayhem with all of the people being dropped off there. I called him on it and asked how both his statements could be true, but he looked at me as though I were speaking Greek. That's about the level of analysis that the community groups out there are using. It's NIMBYism combined with an unwillingness or inability to apply rational thought.

I called him on it and asked how both his statements could be true, but he looked at me as though I were speaking Greek.
Good for you! At some meetings I've been at, it's almost as if some neighbours are afraid to say what they really think, because they don't want to piss off the lynch mob.

I went to the Monday open house on the west extension. There was no presentation and no microphone at which to rant and foam about the destruction of Eden, and I think as a result some of the people who went actually learned something, since staff had a chance to explain things, using some abundant and clear illustrations. But my favorite moment was when a muppetish man launched into a tirade about how Cleary station was useless because no one lived there and no one would use it, then without pausing to breathe, launched into a second tirade about how the same station would cause traffic chaos and mayhem with all of the people being dropped off there. I called him on it and asked how both his statements could be true, but he looked at me as though I were speaking Greek. That's about the level of analysis that the community groups out there are using. It's NIMBYism combined with an unwillingness or inability to apply rational thought.

I was planning on attending as well, but I had a softball game on Monday. I wanted to go and give my support to the planners there. After the series of tirades they probably got, they probably could have used someone telling them "you got it right". Because they did. The 1st plan was better IMO, but I can understand why they had to make the changes to appease the NIMBYs.

Reading some of the articles printed in local papers has gotten me a little bit pissed. 24H has been trying to paint the $80M increase as 'the city is incompetent and wasting money', when in reality the cost increase is only there because of whiny NIMBYs. David Reevely has been doing some very good articles though (Ottawa Citizen).

Hopefully the NIMBYs will take the latest plan offered to them, and this thing can move forward.

Good job on calling out hypocrisy BTW!

Which should be noted will be used on the existing O-Train diesel line. Right now they have three Talents, but six LINTs - I imagine that the upgrades underway will allow for improved frequencies, but are the extra trainsets also meant for the extension south to Letrium Road?

I believe that is being done as a separate project, but yes, eventually they will be used for that. The O-Train is currently shut down for the summer, so they can add passing tracks, and I believe do a refurb of the Rideau River bridge. The end result of the upgrade will be cutting the headway in half.

Go by the western portal for the LRT tunnel every day on my way to and from work, and I can say that work is progressing nicely. They're putting in pilings right now.

They're also scheduled to have the central tunnelling/extraction site at Kent & Queen up and running by the middle of the fall.

Was the Queen stretch all expected to be done as cut-and-cover now? I can't recall exactly what the newest plan invloved.

Was the Queen stretch all expected to be done as cut-and-cover now? I can't recall exactly what the newest plan invloved.

The entire tunnel will be done using underground excavation, with the only surface impact being extraction sites, portals, and station entrances. Right now the City is doing a related but not directly related (ie would have happened anyway) watermain replacement along Queen St, which will actually cause more disruption than the actual LRT construction.

They've also started work on the central extraction site. View from my office this afternoon:

IMG_2374.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 293

Back