News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

here is a link to the staff reports
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=2447&doctype=AGENDA

The vehicle is 49 metres long, with two vehicle trains operating during the day on
opening day and one vehicle in operation in off-peak periods in the late evening. The
longer vehicle provides end-to-end visibility and line of sight within the vehicle interior
which enhances passenger safety and accessibility. The vehicle has 120 seats with
capacity for another 180 standing, bringing total vehicle capacity to 300 (based on
specified passenger comfort level of 3.3 people per m2
. Each vehicle includes four designated wheelchair areas for accessibility.

Last edited:
They rule out Carling by saying it would be too expensive because it would have to be elevated.

And then they propose to tunnel large swaths of the Richmond/Byron route.

They rule out Carling by saying it would be too expensive because it would have to be elevated.

And then they propose to tunnel large swaths of the Richmond/Byron route.

It would be too expensive because practically the entire stretch along Carling would need to be elevated or tunnelled. Not to mention the fact that doing R-B means you're building 1 side of the right angle triangle instead of the 2 that you would be with Carling.

Carling could very well be over double the cost of doing R-B, even with these new design considerations in place.

The trunk part of the LRT system (Lincoln Fields to Blair) needs to be 100% grade-separated, because there will be between 2 and 3 branches of the LRT running along that stretch. That means potentially trains every 2 minutes during peak periods. To accomplish that without total grade-separation would be very very tough.

Carling is well suited for a Transit City-style LRT, but a fully grade-separated trunk line along that corridor just won't work.

Is there some visuals for the different routes?
In this article:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ottawa/routes+western+bypass+McKellar+Park/8263735/story.html

There is this picture:
20rlo1u.jpg

I'm curious about the 2 new routes. They seem to follow the remnants of the same old railway ROW that the transitway was built in, but that section was sold off and houses built in it. I looked at the area in Google Earth etc., and I wonder if they aren't actually considering building a cut and cover tunnel in the strip of vacant/parking lots running between the new houses and buildings fronting Richmond. The local councillor already said they aren't demolishing houses, and I can't believe that they would bore a tunnel for 1 k. right under people's living rooms.

I'm curious about the 2 new routes. They seem to follow the remnants of the same old railway ROW that the transitway was built in, but that section was sold off and houses built in it. I looked at the area in Google Earth etc., and I wonder if they aren't actually considering building a cut and cover tunnel in the strip of vacant/parking lots running between the new houses and buildings fronting Richmond. The local councillor already said they aren't demolishing houses, and I can't believe that they would bore a tunnel for 1 k. right under people's living rooms.

Most of the routes use either the Ottawa River Parkway, and/or the Richmond-Byron ROW, which was previously used for the Britannia Streetcar, which is now a linear park. The mix of at-grade and tunnelling is to use the corridor, while still maintaining key parts of the park space along the route. I suspect that any 'tunnelling' will simply be a decked over trench, much like portions of the Yonge line north of Rosedale. Nothing built on top of it, just some grass preserving green space.

Even the parts that are labelled as "at-grade" in the R-B corridor I suspect will end up being trenched, much like the current Transitway just east of there. Along the Parkway can be at-grade though.

The Citizen article was quite clear that the new routes include a section that's neither the parkway nor the old streetcar strip, but through the neighborhood in between. What they are planning and what they end up with may be different, but I'm pretty certain it's either the former railway or right beside it.

Would it be completely grade separated like the currently funded portion?

Yes. The entire trunk section at least (Lincoln Fields to Blair) will be grade-separated. The branches may or may not be. There haven't really been any discussions about it at this point. The branches are likely to see half or 1/3rd of the frequency of the trunk route, so 100% grade separation isn't nearly as essential.

The Citizen article was quite clear that the new routes include a section that's neither the parkway nor the old streetcar strip, but through the neighborhood in between. What they are planning and what they end up with may be different, but I'm pretty certain it's either the former railway or right beside it.

Yes, the former CPR rail corridor that originally went from Lebreton Flats out to Bells Corners. If you look at the satellite view, you can still spot the ROW in some places, especially through the field from Bells Corners to right near the intersection of the 417 and 416.

It's an interesting option, but I don't think that will be chosen. My bet is that it will be 1 of the 1st two.

This is really the only section of the future LRT system that will see as much alignment debate as this. The vast majority of the rest of the system will be either upgrading the existing Transitway (Lincoln Fields to Baseline for example), or running through a ROW that's been reserved for decades (Woodroffe between Baseline Stn and Knoxdale). It's really only the stretch between Westboro and Lincoln Fields where neither a Transitway nor a reserved ROW are in place.

Unexpectedly, plans of all the new options and a preferred option are up on the City of Ottawa site. Turns out that the report in the Citizen a few days ago, and its hastily prepared graphics, were highly erroneous. The former railway right of way was a red herring. The preferred plan is essentially a subway along Richmond and the green strip, with an open-air Cleary station beside the Parkway and a semi-open trench station in the strip around New Orchard.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-consultations/richmond-underground-identified-top-western-rail-route

Unexpectedly, plans of all the new options and a preferred option are up on the City of Ottawa site. Turns out that the report in the Citizen a few days ago, and its hastily prepared graphics, were highly erroneous. The former railway right of way was a red herring. The preferred plan is essentially a subway along Richmond and the green strip, with an open-air Cleary station beside the Parkway and a semi-open trench station in the strip around New Orchard.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-consultations/richmond-underground-identified-top-western-rail-route

I like it, a lot. Although I wonder why they aren't simply just digging a trench and then decking it over in select locations. A tunnel that long will likely require ventilation, whereas a trench with only select portions covered for park purposes would dramatically simplify emergency exit and ventilation requirements.

In any event though, this is exactly what is needed for the Western LRT extension: a grade-separated line that serves the neighbourhood it's passing through, all while maintaing speed and reliability for people coming from further out.

Back