News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well said. My hope is that Minto does something great with their property at Slater & Lyon. They could even go taller than the Renaissance and give us their usual quality build.
Yeah I would love to see that. If they could squeeze a bit taller, then we'd have two tabletop breakers in this and Renaissance!! The next 10 years or so are going to be very important in how our city changes into a bigger metro, but our skyline will be changing significantly imo (so as long as we don't get delays on all those approved towers any further).

This is what a 150m point tower would look like on the Appletree lot. I think the layering is great with Releve and Marriott and everything else already built.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 105908.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 105947.png

I was just thinking earlier that Minto has nothing on deck after 88 Beechwood, and wondering what might be next. Hopefully this!
They have the project on Parkdale at Wellington West. Currently at LPAT.

I didn't even realize buildings could have lighting like this in Ottawa. I thought the NCC restricted it. Maybe they can add lighting like this if they are outside of the restricted view planes. 🧐

Ottawa has relaxed their lighting restrictions but are still quite limiting. All exterior building lighting has to be Dark Sky compliant. You can see this regulation in 1.6 of Ottawa's High Performance Development Standards, you can find the "Dark Sky" regulations on which I posted below.

That being said, one main thing is you cannot have uplift lighting in which the Renaissance had proposed earlier on which would have been really game changing for Ottawa's standards but unfortunately they had to remove those from the plan.

Claridge is close to completing the strip lighting for the south tower, so that will be another welcomed addition to the dark section of Lyon.

1.6 Exterior Lighting​

Exterior lighting is important to ensure nighttime safety of the site but the light pollution it causes can have negative effects on neighbouring residents, and local natural species. Nocturnal animals and migratory birds are particularly vulnerable to these impacts. Minimizing light pollution through Dark SkyTM compliant fixtures helps to mitigate these impacts.

Requirement

All exterior lighting fixtures will be Dark Sky compliant (full cut-off). No uplighting.

Dark Sky Compliant fixture(s) must have the Dark Sky Fixture Seal of Approval (link is external) which provides objective, third-party certification for lighting that minimizes glare, reduces light trespass and doesn’t pollute the night sky. If a Dark Sky Fixture Seal of Approval is not available, fixtures must be full-cutoff and with a colour temperature rating of 3000K or less.

Well that's disappointing. So no lighting feature at all, or is there still a possibility of making something interesting within the guidelines?

Well that's disappointing. So no lighting feature at all, or is there still a possibility of making something interesting within the guidelines?
The Renaissance will have some nice lighting features for sure, just not the uplift lighting that would have been on the midway point of the building. The lighting that is proposed is going to be great.

Ottawa has relaxed their lighting restrictions but are still quite limiting. All exterior building lighting has to be Dark Sky compliant. You can see this regulation in 1.6 of Ottawa's High Performance Development Standards, you can find the "Dark Sky" regulations on which I posted below.

That being said, one main thing is you cannot have uplift lighting in which the Renaissance had proposed earlier on which would have been really game changing for Ottawa's standards but unfortunately they had to remove those from the plan.

Claridge is close to completing the strip lighting for the south tower, so that will be another welcomed addition to the dark section of Lyon.

1.6 Exterior Lighting​

Exterior lighting is important to ensure nighttime safety of the site but the light pollution it causes can have negative effects on neighbouring residents, and local natural species. Nocturnal animals and migratory birds are particularly vulnerable to these impacts. Minimizing light pollution through Dark SkyTM compliant fixtures helps to mitigate these impacts.

Requirement

All exterior lighting fixtures will be Dark Sky compliant (full cut-off). No uplighting.

Dark Sky Compliant fixture(s) must have the Dark Sky Fixture Seal of Approval (link is external) which provides objective, third-party certification for lighting that minimizes glare, reduces light trespass and doesn’t pollute the night sky. If a Dark Sky Fixture Seal of Approval is not available, fixtures must be full-cutoff and with a colour temperature rating of 3000K or less.
Seems a bit trivial to deny feature lighting on the side of a single tower when the massive hexo greenhouse in Masson-Angers exists and illuminates the entire sky above it

Back