News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

After this, the Andaz addition is the only active project left to rise in the entire Byward Market/Lowertown. I can't remember a bigger lull in that neighbourhood than the upcoming one, anytime in the past 20 years.
Yeah, that's too bad. Potential development sites are getting pretty hard to come by. I imagine the Market proper is tough to redevelop because of stricter design standards and height limits. And, well, social issues.

The LCBO site, I'm sure some of you know, is owned by Rimap who built the AC Marriott and are building the Moxy Marriott and Marriott Renaissance. I imagine we'll see a proposal once these projects are closer to completion.

That's one of the LCBO's flagship stores, and it has a large collection of vintages in the basement. That site will be redeveloped, but any redevelopment will almost certainly include an LCBO.
That was the original plan to include the LCBO in the redevelopment but at this point, those plans have changed due to the costs incurred by weekly LCBO window and door replacements due to break-ins and vandalism. The LCBO lease was ending by December of this year however, a lease extension was finally negotiated for them to stay well into 2025. As of this point now, Rimap has removed all commercial spaces from the current proposal and plans. This may change if the City agrees to a plan developed by developers and hoteliers that would see the City take action of the decline of livability and safety of residents and visitors to that area.

my first call would be knock down that LCBO on rideau and king eddy, they sell alcohol in corner stores now so it servers no greater purpose but to attracting the unsavory. demolish it and build a 30s to block the atrocity behind it.
Unfortunately they cannot do 30s here. It will be two towers of 24-27 floors. The plan right now is to not have the LCBO back at all.

Slightly late weekly Rideau Registry Residences Update, taken yesterday. There's actually some visible progress this time!
PXL_20240919_122607942.jpg

Unfortunately they cannot do 30s here. It will be two towers of 24-27 floors. The plan right now is to not have the LCBO back at all.
Some slight variety in height at least. Disappointed to hear they won't include retail. I understand the social issues are negatively impacting the LCBO, but we have to hope long term things will get better. A prominent corner like this needs to have retail.

Back