News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Spot the difference
Why does one park wear its emerald carpet throughout the summer, while another burns up, becoming a Triscuit in July?
PATRICIA CHISHOLM

Special to The Globe and Mail

August 11, 2007

It seems like a fairly basic equation. Take one city park, add grass seed, water generously. Result: soft islands of green amid the concrete, ideal for sports, hanging out or just plain resting the eyes. For many Torontonians trapped downtown during sweat-bath season, parks are a crucial sanctuary. Why then should one city-maintained park wear its emerald carpet throughout the summer, with only the occasional bald spot, while another burns up from end to end, becoming a dusty yellow mat the texture of straw by early July?

Such is the difference in the state of some parks in the downtown core, with the luxurious quality of the grass in Rosedale Park topping one end of the spectrum and the wretched patch of crabgrass and dirt at Campbell Park, near Lansdowne and Dupont, at the other. So poor is the surface at tiny Campbell Park that the pint-sized soccer players who gather there several times a week for summer house league games are enveloped in clouds of dust.

Kirstin Boutilier, whose son Caleb, 9, plays in a league that relies on the field, says the dry, hard surface gives her concern: "It's not maintained at all," she says. "It's dirt, and it's so bumpy, so uneven that you could pretty easily sustain a sports injury." What's especially disturbing, she says, is that the park is so heavily used.

Her soccer-playing son does not complain too much, but he does comment on the dust. "When he gets home and blows his nose, he shows me the dirt that comes out," she says. "It's pretty spectacular, when you think about what must be in their lungs. They're breathing pretty hard out there."

Sandy Straw, the manager of parks Toronto East York and parks bylaw enforcement, agrees that Campbell is not in good shape, but says the answer is simple: Rosedale, which was created in 1917 in a purchase from a lacrosse association, has had a built-in, underground sprinkler system since 1988. Watering, at least once a week, is controlled by automatic timers, avoiding the need for costly manpower. Campbell, created in 1964, lacks such a system.

In addition, according to Gord Andrews, manager of property management and maintenance services for the city, Rosedale benefits from high-quality loam soil, while Campbell makes do with low-quality builder's top soil, a legacy of the houses and church that occupied the site in the past.

Ms. Straw says she is unable to give a solid estimate of the cost of installing an underground sprinkler system. "It depends on the size," she says. "It could be anywhere from $5,000 [for a small garden] to $55,000" for a large park. Rosedale measures 2.95 hectares, while Campbell, which occupies part of one block on a residential street, is a mere .29 hectares. Why not water by hand? Especially such a small park. "We don't have the staff to do that, but in some of our parks, local volunteers have been doing that," she says.

Irrigation becomes particularly crucial during periods of low rainfall, as has been the case in Toronto this summer. "Generally speaking, we've had about half of our normal June, July and August rainfall," says David Phillips, a senior climatologist at Environment Canada. There have been 95 millimetres of rain in that time period so far, compared with a normal level of 170. (Over the past 24 years, only two other summers have been drier, 2005 and 1997.) It has also been warmer than normal, he notes; so that combination of dryness and heat can be disastrous for grassy areas with no artificial irrigation.

Ms. Straw acknowledges that the poor condition of the park is a concern and that there have been some recent discussions about entering into a partnership with non-city groups to have a sprinkler system installed, thereby avoiding the years-long wait that is likely involved if the city's capital budget is tapped. (Mr. Andrews notes that $135,000 has been allocated by the city for maintenance at Campbell in 2010, mostly for repairs to the park's aging splash pad.)

All this isn't much help to the budding soccer players, who can only expect the conditions at Campbell to deteriorate in the weeks ahead, with continued heavy use and, alas, no water. If it's anything like the conditions in Aurora, north of Toronto, where Mr. Phillips lives - and which has a watering ban in effect - walking across the grass will be "like walking on cornflakes," he says.

We have a lot of discussions about the state of the city, the reputation of the city, comparison of the city with other municipalities etc. On this issue, parks, playgrounds, school fields I think it is hard to imagine some other city having a set of outdoor public spaces in worse shape, worse maintained and with so little landscaping and few amenities as ours. We do little unique parks well but I'm talking about our larger neighbourhood parks and school fields. Infact I would go so far as to say it is downright embarassing. We can discuss and argue about what should be done to improve but I think the first step is to acknowledge how bad the situation is.

The title of the this thread should actually read: The lack of park maintenance.

We don't really have too many parks in this city, well at least parks in the classical sense- usually a park in Toronto equates to a patch of grass and a tree or maybe a few trees, and unfortunately little more than that. I don't think we are deserving of parks..

p5

lots of neglect. it doesn't take much to fixer up.

I think it will take a little more effort. I've been playing soccer at fields and on flat park section all around the old city of toronto and some North York over the last few years and finding a flat, well maintained field is difficult. Easily 90 percent of the fields I've been on are complete rubbish.

I've been noticing that in some parks all of the garbage receptacles are turned upside down so that they can't be used (example, Queens Park). I'm presuming this is a garbage pickup cutback. It sucks when carrying a load of dog crap in a bag with no garbage cans in sight!

I've been noticing that in some parks all of the garbage receptacles are turned upside down so that they can't be used (example, Queens Park). I'm presuming this is a garbage pickup cutback. It sucks when carrying a load of dog crap in a bag with no garbage cans in sight!

I only noticed this in Queen's Park. But there are problems with all the parks. Things you that weren't common in the past such as giant weeds growing beside chain link fences and graffiti not being cleaned up. Park garbage containers are often full of household garbage, even in High Park far from any road.

Of course, that dog crap isn't supposed to go in the trash can. Dog crap in our trash is causing serious problems for the city.

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/dogs/dog-waste.htm

Take the crap home and put it in your green bin like you're supposed to.

This is the first I've heard of this and I like to think I'm a relatively informed kinda' guy. Obviously not. So I have to carry dog crap home with me for the last hour & a half of my walk each afternoon and then store it somewhere in my apartment? How are dog owners supposed to know about this? Nothing came from my MPP or City Councillor in their newsletters or with my dog license renewal. How are we supposed to be aware of changes like this?

No offense elook, I'm just venting.

You'd think that with those lofty waste diversion goals, they'd distribute park green bins and some signs. It's most likely because of the budget problems.

Garbage pickup in suburban parks still seems to be at an ok frequency, although it's been "balanced" out by the outright removal of most of the garbage cans...

i can't believe with a 8 billion dollar budget and thousands of employees that can't even empty garbage cans. You would assume with such a huge budget they would be providing more then the essentials...

Efficient government, no way!

There are a few nice parks in Toronto we can be proud of, like the wonderful St. James' and the manicured gardens at High Park. Most, however, are totally neglected.

The Victoria Memorial Park (at Wellington/Portland) is undergoing a renovation, which has thus far included the addition of some nice walkways and the removal of some wonderful mature trees. The park has been unchanged for the last 6 months or so, awaiting the next phase of renovations without any benches or lights, severely degrading its usefulness over this whole summer season.

Had to vent, as it's been kinda disappointing.

Clarence Square is another nearby park with a lot of potential that could really use some love.

The State of Toronto Parks

A few facts worth noting......Toronto has among the HIGHEST perecentage of land area of any city in the world devoted to parks.

Some 16% of Toronto is parks, which is really incredible when you think about it.

Most other major cities are at about 1/2 that number, in Europe or in other areas with very old cities, its often even lower.

So as we rightly critique the state of our parks, lets keep in mind the vast amount of land and facilities our department maintains.

Keep in mind, we have more outdoor pools (by a factor of two) that NYC.

As just one example, and over 850 playgrounds.

And even now, we keep expanding the system, but with no additional maintenance resources.

McCowan District park is set to open late this year (just north of Kingston Rd.

Don River Park is underconstruction and will add 19 Acres next year.

The railway lands Central Park (I hope they change the name) will add 9 acres.

Etc. etc.

For those clamouring for designed parks...those last 2 were both the result of design competitions/commissions...... and so is Sherbourne Park, and the Spadina Slip park, both due for contruction in 2008.

When it comes to maintenance yes the parks have deteriorated a little bit, partly due to slightly less front-line staff than the City had at amalgamation, all the while growing the number of parks.

Additionally, though, parks has been short of capital dollars for basic repairs like bench replacement etc.

If you want something done better at your local park though.....it can be done...

The better products are a product of the rule 'The Squeaky Wheel gets the Grease"

Phone your local councillor or the local parks supervisor (Access Toronto will tell you who this is) and tell them your issue.

Of course...since your park is getting fixed.....I'll have to phone again about mine...damn it!

Back