News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

No info here, but the faster that lot goes the better. It's been underutilized for so long. Easy candidate for mid-rise housing with retail at grade.

It's shocking no such proposal has occurred yet given the excellent location.

It's shocking no such proposal has occurred yet given the excellent location.

Exactly. They had some garbaggio rendering up for a while with some underwhelming retail block up earlier but seems like no one budged. Not sure if the property owners lacked ambition or the resources, but they seriously need to just think big or sell to someone who can develop this site properly.

The Caddi, a backyard patio bar operating at the back of the former Cadillac Lounge spot has closed permanently.

While Pete's Corner Grill at Queen W & Sorauren has closed as the landlord sold the building. They're reportedly looking for a new location.

There's going to be a major reconstruction of various infrastructure at the intersection of Queen, King, Queensway, and Roncesvalles that's supposed to last for the next year and a half (but I can guarantee it will go over by at least four months, any wagers?).

This includes bus replacement service which has already been running west of Dufferin for like a month it seems.

I'm wondering if this will significantly impact psychological connection between especially South Parkdale where I live and Roncesvalles.
Roncesvalles is the only reason I ever go north of King Street. I shop there. My bookshop is there. Fishmonger. Baker. Record shop. Polish stuff.
I'm wondering if the hassle/visual cut off of the work will prevent me and others from going up that way.

I think I've already written the neighbourhood off for the next year plus.

There's going to be a major reconstruction of various infrastructure at the intersection of Queen, King, Queensway, and Roncesvalles that's supposed to last for the next year and a half (but I can guarantee it will go over by at least four months, any wagers?).

This includes bus replacement service which has already been running west of Dufferin for like a month it seems.

I'm wondering if this will significantly impact psychological connection between especially South Parkdale where I live and Roncesvalles.
Roncesvalles is the only reason I ever go north of King Street. I shop there. My bookshop is there. Fishmonger. Baker. Record shop. Polish stuff.
I'm wondering if the hassle/visual cut off of the work will prevent me and others from going up that way.

I think I've already written the neighbourhood off for the next year plus.

You could walk there.........and cross Queen east of Roncy.

Article on the frustrations of the unfinished road work at the King-Queen-Queensway-Roncy intersection which has been abandoned for over a month now.

Article on the frustrations of the unfinished road work at the King-Queen-Queensway-Roncy intersection which has been abandoned for over a month now.

Hydro again!!!

Excerpt:

1630507100936.png

Years and Years of planning............there should be no unforeseen conflicts.

Commentary from Gord Perks on the KQQR intersection:

King / Queen / The Queensway / Roncesvalles (KQQR) update

As you may have noticed, the City’s contractor began returning to the KQQR construction site. The project management team advises that completion of the remaining Stage 1 work, and transition to Stage 2 work is expected for the latter part of October. The exact date is being finalized and will be communicated very soon. Your patience during this delay is very much appreciated.
As work crews wrap up work along Queen Street West and Roncesvalles Avenue (Stage 1 work area), your continued support of Parkdale Village BIA and Roncesvalles Village BIA businesses is greatly appreciated.

Current & Upcoming Work

• Work crews will continue the remaining TTC pole installations at the KQQR intersection well into next week.
  • The pole installation at the southeast corner of the intersection will include pouring new sidewalk
  • Work has also resumed at the underground TTC chamber at Sunnyside Avenue and The Queensway (northeast corner)
  • Next week the contractor will begin mobilizing equipment and materials to south (eastbound) curb lane of The Queensway. This is so work crews can begin work on the roadside barrier at Sunnyside Avenue. This is expected to start next week
  • Work will continue on the hydro underground duct bank along the north side of The Queensway from Glendale Avenue to Sunnyside Avenue
Parkside Bridge Rehabilitation (topside)
  • Stage 2 removal work is completed
  • Work crews have poured new ballast wall concrete on both sides of The Queensway / Parkside Drive.
  • New Deck extension formwork is ongoing

The KQQR intersection is partially open again:

Over the weekend, the intersection of King Street West, Queen Street West, the Queensway and Roncesvalles Avenue opened to allow traffic on Queen West and Roncesvalles. And even more good news for those visiting the area, all of the metered parking that was temporarily removed is now reinstated.

King West remains closed to traffic from Queen Street West to Wilson Park Drive. Travel lanes on The Queensway from Queen West to Parkside Drive continue to be reduced.

The intersection closed in April to allow construction crews to make a variety of improvements, including replacing the streetcar track, extending the dedicated streetcar right-of-way, enhancing streetcar stops, and making improvements for pedestrian and cyclist safety. The City is also working on the lighting, water mains, and sewers in the intersection.

Although the intersection is opening, the City of Toronto is now moving into Stage 2 of the undertaking, which will carry on well into next year. The entire project is expected to wrap up in summer 2022.

Colliers is marketing 2-8 Laxton as a development opportunity.

Currently a low-rise 4-storey rental and 3 converted Victorians with apartments inside.

Aerial pic:

1645621871558.png

Site Size: ~2300M2/25000ft2

Streetview:

1645622550058.png

So I'm putting this here for now, rather than in the development section, because I'm not entirely convinced someone will drop the 19M asking price for this, other than to keep it roughly as is, likely at a discount.

The 4s low-rise is very replaceable, but as you work your way along the street at some point you will be bordering a 2s Victorian which will likely cap your height potential.

Your precedent caps are 12 for the building on Jameson, 8s across the street on Laxton, that's it; while Queen is limited to 6s under the Heritage Conservation District Plans.

The real kicker here, however, is what kind of separation you require from adjacent properties. If you assume 11M from the north lot line, that's an increase in distance from where the lowrise is currently; placement is about right for distance to the building fronting Jameson, but you probably have to allow at least 11M to the next Victorian House simply as a buffer.

That gives you a footprint in the ~9,000ft2 range.

If you assume a 7s building, I'm not sure if the economics are there.......

On top of that, I think the homes are neighbourhood zoning.

Might make a good 'Open Door' type site if the price was right, and the City willing to upzone.

A proposal for an additional storey to be built at 100 Sorauren Ave, the SW corner with Pearson Ave and 2 blocks north of Queen West.

The building was formerly the location of Jessie's Cafe.

100 SORAUREN AVE
Ward 4: Parkdale-High Park

PROPOSED RENOVATION & 3rd STOREY ADDITION TO EXISTING 2 STOREY COMMERCIAL / RESIDENTIAL BUILDING INCLUDING 2ND STOREY GREEN ROOF & 3RD FLOOR TERRACE WITH EXTERIOR PERGOLA STRUCTURE. PROPOSED NEW 1 STOREY GARAGE TO REPLACE EXISTING ANCILLARY BUILDING.

---------
Google street view with only images of the block taken in 2015, when the cafe was still around:

sora.JPG

Back