News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What's the problem...the city is full of "renos from hell" stories. Parkdale renos just have a higher incidence of crackhead removal. :p
If you read this article and you don't see what the problem is, it is likely that it is because you are a part of it.

Yeah, the nerve of those bastards thinking they're entitled to buy a house, renovate it, and live in it with their growing family.
If you have that kind of money, the most intelligent thing to do is to shut your pie hole, not complain about your "problems" in Toronto Life.

Yeah, the nerve of those bastards thinking they're entitled to buy a house, renovate it, and live in it with their growing family.

I think the idea is that only the deadbeats who are supported by the tax dollars of these people are entitled to complain. :rolleyes:
And of course, if it weren't for real estate investors, these deadbeats would have nowhere to live at all, as someone has to "own" the property.

I
I think the idea is that only the deadbeats who are supported by the tax dollars of these people are entitled to complain. :rolleyes:
And of course, if it weren't for real estate investors, these deadbeats would have nowhere to live at all, as someone has to "own" the property.
It's sad when people who work, pay taxes and take responsibility for their own lives are vilified for daring to live in the house they bought. The couple who did the renovation aren't part of the problem - they're part of the solution. Toronto would be a better city if we had more people like them and fewer people like the tenants they evicted.

So I'm back in Parkdale after an 11 year exile. Same old Parkdale, though somehow it seems like there are more people living here....with almost no new development in that time.
I live south of King, like before. Seems exactly the same. Queen is more gentrified but the Jameson corners there are the same old human zoo.

Man, I missed the place. Feels good to be back.

The No Frills is still the Parkdale No Frills, reno notwithstanding...it's like I never left.

It's interesting how so many places in Toronto have changed dramatically and some have not.

Ok, so, upon further use of the No Frills, I have to say it's more ghetto than I remember it being back in 2006-2007. It's like the leftover produce gets sent there....except the kale...that was prime.

I can't even shop there anymore. Back then, I was 20, and living on the edge, and now after a decade of Loblaws and working hard....I guess I have to mission to Metro.

Ok, so, upon further use of the No Frills, I have to say it's more ghetto than I remember it being back in 2006-2007. It's like the leftover produce gets sent there....except the kale...that was prime.

I can't even shop there anymore. Back then, I was 20, and living on the edge, and now after a decade of Loblaws and working hard....I guess I have to mission to Metro.

How long were ya gone?

Parkdale is way more gentro than it was........or what's you favourite term? Bougie! LOL

Grand Electric for Tacos................uhhh, Glory Hole for doughnuts..........(yah that still sounds off) ..........

All the Vegandale stuff.............

But still some rough edges.

For cheaper grocery, remember there's Freshco just across from the Metro at Queen/Dufferin.

If your feeling all hipster, there are some decent farmer's markets nearby.

There's also Organic Garage in Liberty Village and the Foodland over on Roncy

11 year hiatus. I swear the No Frills used to be better. It ungentrified.

Yeah, bougie is the term!

I think I've made it in life. Grew up in a building full of refugees, was kinda poor, working class. Now I'm working class-bougie. Eat salmon and smoke the pricey cigarettes and drink the pricey beers.
Though, 'bougie' is more like Summerhill Market and a cottage that looks bigger than your Rosedale manse.

The Freshco and Metro near there are out of the way. I live south of King. It's Metro Liberty for me, if anything. Also there's that City Market Loblaw thing just east of Sudbury.
Foodland, Roncy! Perfect! There's also the Loblaws that way but that one is the Loblaws that Loblaw forgot.

I just honestly can't believe I used to shop at the Parkdale No Frills. I've come a long way from my tweaker days.

Last edited:
Also, à propos the earlier debate in this thread: I'm looking forward to those condos going up across the King/Dufferin intersection. I'll miss Island Foods, where I've been eating since 2006, but damn those two corners are a waste of space. Especially the McD's block: that's where life went to give up.

I'm with @freshcutgrass, Parkdale needs a serious rinse.

When exactly did it all go so wrong here? Started out bougie then, what? The 70s happened? Too much leaded fuel and paint fumes in the air?
It's definitely holding out against gentrification pretty well, coming round the other way.
I'd say, by my reckoning, this place is maybe 10% less destitute than a decade ago.

It's an interesting feeling having lived here as a 20 year old, with not a lot of money, and a bit of a grimey shadow and then moving back over a decade later as a part of "the problem of gentrification". Paying an obscene amount for rent to live in a building I lived in back then as a drug-addled young buck.
I'm part of the problem of driving rental prices up.

Not sorry, I deserve to live somewhere too and this is all I could afford atm.

For sure it's the worst No Frills in Ontario. I mean, it makes other No Frills seem like they have a few frills. At least the basement turned into a Dollarama, so you can slum-shop all in the same location. Roncy has acquired all the good little food stores, which is Parkdale adjacent. For me, it's No Frills for everyday basics and Cheese Btq to pamper myself.

Maybe since I have been here since the 90's, I notice the change more than most. The biggest changes are the Queen retail and the disappearance of the street walkers. Rents have increased because of the hipsters who are willing to pay $1600+ for a small 1 bedroom apt. Same number of lunatics and riff raff though.

11 year hiatus. I swear the No Frills used to be better. It ungentrified.

Yeah, bougie is the term!

I think I've made it in life. Grew up in a building full of refugees, was kinda poor, working class. Now I'm working class-bougie. Eat salmon and smoke the pricey cigarettes and drink the pricey beers.
Though, 'bougie' is more like Summerhill Market and a cottage that looks bigger than your Rosedale manse.

The Freshco and Metro near there are out of the way. I live south of King. It's Metro Liberty for me, if anything. Also there's that City Market Loblaw thing just east of Sudbury.
Foodland, Roncy! Perfect! There's also the Loblaws that way but that one is the Loblaws that Loblaw forgot.

I just honestly can't believe I used to shop at the Parkdale No Frills. I've come a long way from my tweaker days.

All those places are easily reached in less than 10 minutes on a bike...

Back