News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

That pool has been there for several years, OK, 2 people just fell into it but were they the first? Before putting up fences or orange cones let's look at exactly what happened and whether it was a fluke.

A slight toe guard might not be a bad idea for it. A full on fence is excessive and defeats the whole purpose.

AoD

This probably fits here?

TORONTO, April 13, 2021 /CNW/ - Canadians everywhere are feeling the impact of COVID-19, on their families, their livelihoods and their way of life. Together, Canada and Ontario are working to reduce the impact of the pandemic, ensure health and safety, rebuild businesses, and promote job creation, growth and investment.
Today, the Honourable Catherine McKenna, Canada's Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; Arif Virani, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada and Member of Parliament for Parkdale–High Park; Christine Hogarth, Parliamentary Assistant to the Solicitor General and Member of Provincial Parliament for Etobicoke–Lakeshore, on behalf of the Honourable Laurie Scott, Ontario's Minister of Infrastructure; His Worship John Tory, Mayor of the City of Toronto; Kara Lysne-Paris, President of the Board of Directors for the High Park Nature Centre; and Simone Stock, Interim Board Chair of the Friends of High Park Zoo, announced funding for projects that will improve sport and recreational infrastructure in Toronto.
The Government of Canada is investing over $8.9 million towards these projects through the Community, Culture and Recreation Infrastructure Stream of the Investing in Canada plan. The Government of Ontario is providing more than $7.4 million while the City of Toronto is contributing over $5.2 million to these projects.
Among the projects funded, outdoor enthusiasts will benefit from the rehabilitation and improvements to the High Park recreational trail where work will include the elimination of curbs and damaged trail surfaces, improvements to drainage, new seating, and landscaping. The High Park Nature Centre will also be rehabilitated. The centre welcomes over 1.5 million visitors annually and the upgrades will provide them with better access and additional recreational offerings.
Further, funding for the Ramsden Park Outdoor Twin Pad Artificial Ice Rink will support upgrades to the refrigeration and electrical systems, ice pad, and apron. The Ted Reeve, Pine Point, and Bill Bolton Arenas will also see their refrigeration systems, mechanical rooms, ice pads and dasher boards upgraded, which will help maintain current service levels and extend the lifespan of the facilities.

The City are proposing converting Lawren Harris Square to an off-leash dog park. It is certainly not much used by humans.

SMH.............

I'm not opposed to DOLAs per se.........

But they shouldn't be a pro forma solution for a terrible park design.

There's a better spot for a DOLA nearby:

1619748827944.png

Both sites are 18000ft2 btw.

1619748932980.png

I wonder if the TRCA have any rule against the FPL (Flood Protection Landform) being used as a DOLA?

Here is the full info on the proposed dog park:

Based on high demand from local residents, the City is considering the installation of a new dog off-leash area in your neighbourhood, at Lawren Harris Square (located at the intersection of Bayview Ave and Lawren Harris Square, across from Corktown Commons).

This is an early investigation into the feasibility of converting Lawren Harris Square into a dog off-leash area. The specific design of the proposed dog off-leash area would be developed with community consultation after the location is confirmed. The off-leash area would be fenced off with a gated entry.

An off-leash area was previously located in the neighbourhood at Corktown Commons and was removed by Enbridge when major work was undertaken in the area. Enbridge is funding the replacement of the dog off-leash area.

A dedicated dog off-leash area is needed in the community because:

* There is a high concentration of dog owners in the neighbourhood, and therefore there is a significant demand from residents for a dog off-leash area.

* Conflicts occur often between Corktown Commons park users and dog owners who unleash their dogs in the Commons. By providing a dedicated space for off-leash dogs, these and related conflicts are reduced.

Lawren Harris Square is the proposed site for the new dog off-leash area because:

* The square is located close to a large population of dog owners.

* The square is not heavily used by local residents, with most choosing to spend their time in the neighbouring Corktown Commons.

Other locations previously considered were:

* Corktown Commons, the east side of the berm: This area is located in a flood plain and the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), which regulates land use in the flood plain, will not allow a fenced dog off-leash area.

* Corktown Commons, the south lawn: This area is not suitable because the hill is used by families for tobogganing in the winter and the field is regularly permitted for entertainment and recreational uses.

* Underpass Park West on the west side of St. Lawrence Street:

o This area of the park hosts a farmers market on Thursday afternoons during the spring, summer and fall, and an off-leash facility is not compatible with the market's use of the space.

o There are transportation maintenance projects planned for the overpass structures in 2024-2026, which would displace a dog off-leash area soon after construction.

We would like neighbours to provide feedback as we investigate Lawren Harris Square as a potential location for a new dog off-leash area.

Please share your feedback by completing this online survey by midnight on Sunday May 16, 2021.

Toronto should just do what London does and just make every green park into an off-leash park. I was intimidated by this when I first moved to London, but it's not bad actually.

Toronto should just do what London does and just make every green park into an off-leash park. I was intimidated by this when I first moved to London, but it's not bad actually.

Absolutely not!

Off leash dogs in natural areas are a huge problem, interacting negatively with wildlife.

A neighbour of mine, walking her dog on a leash also had her dog attacked and nearly killed by a dog that was off leash.

Non-starter.

CBC story on a community effort to turn the CP Don Branch train tracks (south from the Thorncliffe Park to the Don River) into a High Line style park.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...-to-nyc-s-high-line-park-group-says-1.6032516
half-mile-bridge-rendering.jpeg

cbc

I'm not a fan of this one.........

I understand the opposition to the Mx storage facilities; and I am certainly supportive of restoration efforts and trails in the Don.

But to me there are multiple issues here.

1) The Half-Mile bridge is in terrible shape and will require reconstruction no matter what (in order to be re-used)

2) The Don Branch or at least its alignment south of the Half Mile bridge does have practical value for actual train service.

3) Done properly, a shift of the Bala Sub from its junction w/the Don Branch to the Don Branch alignment, but past the 1/2 Mile bridge is a potentially positive game changer for the Don.
It would result in removing the existing Bala Sub, between said junction, and somewhere north of Pottery where the tracks would rejoin the existing alignment.

This would allow the valley to be seemlessly accessible from Bayview; it would also resolve challenges around flooding of the Bala sub; and the need for grade separation with Pottery Road.

4) The Don Branch would not make a for pleasant trail, its relatively inaccessible, in full western and southern sun, right below the noise and pollution of the DVP.

5) A rebuilt 1/2 mile bridge could feature a pedestrian trail if so desired, in addition to restored track.

I was in Downsview Park yesterday and kept mulling over a few thoughts. This park has so much potential. But right now, most of it feels underused and even abandoned. A missed opportunity so far. @Northern Light are there any plans to help this park reach its potential? I know there's the planned redevelopment of the airport lands, but I don't remember if it includes any work on the park itself.

In December the City advertised for an architect to redesign Market Lane Park (west of the North St Lawrence Market - posted in the UT thread on the North Market.. It has, apparently, been awarded to The Planning Partnership. There will be some sort of local advisory group but there really is not all that much that can be done as it's a fairly narrow space that is also a busy mid-block connection and the aim with the new Market is that the doors/windows on ground floor will all open fully so that the Market and its customers can 'flow" onto the adjacent park and sidewalk (on Jarvis). Work will not start until early 2022 when the North Market construction should be finished, or almost.

Last edited:
I was in Downsview Park yesterday and kept mulling over a few thoughts. This park has so much potential. But right now, most of it feels underused and even abandoned. A missed opportunity so far. @Northern Light are there any plans to help this park reach its potential? I know there's the planned redevelopment of the airport lands, but I don't remember if it includes any work on the park itself.

Downsview, of course, is not a City of Toronto Park.

Its a Federal Park.

A very odd beast it is.

I agree there are lot of 'misses' in its design.

The park is continuing to evolve, but don't expect to see major changes to its core layout.

They just added the orchard in the southern section of the park (still being planted).

This year they're adding a full-blown urban farm (crops), being operated by Fresh City Farms which will be publicly accessible.

There's still more naturalization/forestry to be done.

All of this will animate the park some; as will new residential development directly to the north on the north side of Sheppard Avenue.

But some of fundamental issues around layout; and relationship to the subway are unlikely to be addressed.

The park will get more popular w/time, as the plants mature, more washrooms are added, there's more programming and more people around.

But I do wish some decisions on design/layout had been done differently.

Hard to fix items:

1621700239866.png

New items:

1621700416803.png

Concept Plan of above:

1621701720743.png

Do-Able things:

1621701031666.png

1621701453370.png

1621701598904.png

If I had my way, instead of the current artificial pond..........

We would have brought back this creek:

1621702196664.png

from: http://mercator.geog.utoronto.ca/georia/lostrivers/leaflet-storymap_webtest/disappearing.html

Red line crossing Keele was a visible tributary of Black Creek until ~1950.

Last edited:
In December the City advertised for an architect to redesign Market Lane Park (west of the North St Lawrence Market - posted in the UT thread on the North Market.. It has, apparently, been awarded to The Planning Partnership. There will be some sort of local advisory group but there really is not all that much that can be done as it's a fairly narrow space that is also a busy mid-block connection and the aim with the new Market is that the doors/windows on ground floor will all open fully so that the Market and its customers can 'flow" onto the adjacent park and sidewalk (on Jarvis). Work will not start until early 2022 when the North Market construction should be finished, or almost.

Nothing against Planning Partnership; but I wanted to see this go to PMA who I think did an excellent job on St. James park just to the north; a thematic tie-in would have been nice.

Ramsden Park's re-do is no longer brand new..............but one of its 'new'ish' features needs some revitalizing!

Remind me again who said Corten is a good material for stairs?

1630457803755.png

Why is this relatively new set of stairs closed? Let's look shall we?

1630457849918.png

1630457871827.png

Back