News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's always felt like a topographic disaster down there and these changes haven't done anything to improve that.

It's the same as has happened with First Canadian Place, TD Centre, and Commerce Court - all have had their concourse levels "improved". And those three were designed by important 20th Century architects, unlike Scotia.

I would add the Eaton Centre reno to that list.

From Financial District BIA:

New PATH map sample is up. We need your feedback!

Your voice was heard and we are unveiling a refined #PATH360 map concept (pdf).

The first public version of the new PATH concept map is in Royal Bank Plaza, 200 Bay Street, until October 14.

The design presented is not final.
We need your thoughts on how to further improve the new PATH map.

Please click here to complete the survey at FluidSurveys!

3481d845-9a83-4d1a-aa1b-34c18ca89587.png

We will also be tracking all comments online using the #PATH360 hashtag.

This is the next step in the effort to improve PATH wayfinding. In February, the Toronto Financial District BIA conducted a survey that received thousands of public responses and informed the early concepts released in May 2016. The concepts are now public for feedback before being finalized. This has been a significant collaboration with PATH-connected buildings, the City of Toronto and downtown BIAs to refine the concepts so far. Full roll-out of new PATH wayfinding maps and signage is expected for early 2018. for further information contact info@torontofinancialdistrict.com.

It looks great, the only thing I'd change is make the street level exit symbol a little more visible. It shows how poorly the TTC logo scales as well, but there's not much to do about that.

It looks great, the only thing I'd change is make the street level exit symbol a little more visible. It shows how poorly the TTC logo scales as well, but there's not much to do about that.

I wish they can just kill off the current TTC logo - esp. considering a good chunk of the metro systems around have clear logos that fit into a square space.

AoD

It's also a bit out of date as the new link from Harbour Plaza through 1 York to York Street opened late last week and there is an (unconnected) section of PATH running through ICE from York to Simcoe which will, one day, be linked under York Street. I agree it's wrong to put in unopened sections as it is too confusing but they then need to be prepared to keep installing updated versions.

I wish they can just kill off the current TTC logo - esp. considering a good chunk of the metro systems around have clear logos that fit into a square space.

AoD

I agree, but they don't seem interested in updating it for the 21st century. Also I'm sure they would have their in-house designers do it so the result would be less than satisfactory.

Appears not.

I never really understood what was achieved on the old map by including the clusters at the St. Patrick's subway, Discovery District and College Park. Those clusters are not connected to the main network, and are for the most part a good distance away.

I'd like to see the wings clipped but the shield stay for such situations, to create a more square symbol. Getting rid of the symbol entirely though would be akin to tearing down a heritage building.
It's also a bit out of date as the new link from Harbour Plaza through 1 York to York Street opened late last week and there is an (unconnected) section of PATH running through ICE from York to Simcoe which will, one day, be linked under York Street. I agree it's wrong to put in unopened sections as it is too confusing but they then need to be prepared to keep installing updated versions.
The link from Harbour Plaza to One York is shown, it's just shown very badly, as is the PATH from the Air Canada Centre southwards. The map slavishly uses 90° and 45° angles only (with rounded corners), and it ends up compromising the its accuracy south of the Gardiner. The whole exercise was to make the PATH map more understandable, and making it conform better to reality was a key factor in achieving that. By being slavish south of the Gardiner where everything is on a different angle, they mess up the PATH through Harbour Plaza/One York, and even more so through WaterPark Place. At WaterPark Place, the link south to Queens Quay is shown extending south then turning west, when in fact it tuns west and then turns south.
According to that new map, the Four Seasons Centre is in the witness protection program.
Teething problem! It's a little short informationally in other areas too, like the teamways down York and Bay…
College Park is not included on the map?
AFAIK, the Financial District BIA is paying for this map. If the Downtown Yonge BIA chipped in, maybe it would extend further north!

I'd like to see the wings clipped but the shield stay for such situations, to create a more square symbol. Getting rid of the symbol entirely though would be akin to tearing down a heritage building.

...and replacing it with TD Centre (not that the existing logo is Bank of Toronto, but I digress).

AoD

With respect to the map overall, I think it looks good.

That said, I think there may be issues of clarification, and one could debate whether some additional information would be beneficial (though at the risk of cluttering the map).

In respect of that, I see symbols for escalators/stairs/elevators, but its not entirely clear that they lead to exits from the Path. I know they do; but if you were a tourist would you know that? Or would you read it the same way you might a shopping mall escalator which doesn't necessarily take you to an exit?

The international exit symbol, I believe is the green 'running man'. Should that be used to show exit points?

Second thought, to some extent, this is a shopping mall map. They've gone of out their way to show where food courts are...............should they also show where washrooms are?

We're probably past the point where we would put pay phone symbols on; though for those folks who either don't have a cell or can't get reception etc....

On the subject of the TTC logo over all, yes, it's retro, but I think that has its charm.

There is, however, clearly a scaling issue.

That might be addressed by replacing TTC altogether with the subway car symbol the TTC uses?

Or perhaps is a need for a different logo for this type of application. One sees this often with airlines. The historic logo and name may remain on a uniform or the full length of the plain, but a version
exists which can work on a crowded airport terminal sign.

According to that new map, the Four Seasons Centre is in the witness protection program.

Indeed, for a lot of people that would be a significant point of reference. Also, hard to tell from that little pic but it doesn't seem to clearly indicate that there is a south entrance to the King subway station..?

Back