8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

whatever

Member Bio
Reaction score
From: http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...s-new-pay-toilets-to-be-up-and-running-may-20

First of Toronto's new pay toilets to be up and running May 20
Kevin Misener and 680News staff May 05, 2010 07:27:37 AM
15 Comment(s)
3 Recommendation(s)
TORONTO, Ont. - The first of Toronto's new pay washrooms has been installed on the waterfront, Wednesday.

The washroom is located at Queens Quay and Rees Street, just a short walk from the CN Tower and Rogers Centre.

The green, glass and steel pay washroom will open on May 20.

Those who want to use the bathroom will have to pay 25-cents.

The washroom is supposed to be high-tech, self-cleaning and air conditioned.

A total of 20 pay toilets will appear across the city in the coming years.

Sorry if there's a thread for this elsewhere. It's the first I've heard of pay toilets in Toronto. 25 cents is a pittance, and if it means that the washroom will actually be cleaned and maintained I'm not against it.

Why only 25¢? I would have guessed maybe $1 (payable in loonies or quarters).

Anybody else see this as being abused for hmmm... sexual encounters? 25¢ sure beats a hotel room or the back seat of a car.

lol! Was it made to resemble a TTC bus station to serve as symbolism of some sort .. :)

Speaking of which, if the program is successful these would be welcomed in subway stations where no facilities currently exist.

@ dt, that's a very good idea. Instead of relying on the anemic cleaning TTC staff who don't seem to do their work judging by the conditions of TTC washrooms, these could be deployed near or inside stations.

@ W.K.: the floor senses your weight and will not begin cleaning until you're out. I believe the model we got uses a cleaning system similar to this one:

[video=youtube;mYgzZJpIKwA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYgzZJpIKwA[/video]

Seems remarkably wasteful, but I guess if it means less labour...

so i heard after 20 minutes of use, the door unlocks or opens?

if you put in more quarters before you go in, can you extend your time limit?

Seems remarkably wasteful, but I guess if it means less labour...

Why is it wasteful? Only a small amount of water and cleaning product are used. It's preferable to patrons using miles of toilet paper daily to build makeshift clean toilet seats.

so i heard after 20 minutes of use, the door unlocks or opens?

if you put in more quarters before you go in, can you extend your time limit?

There's a coin slot next to the toilet, inside. A warning is sounded 2 minutes before time is up and again before the door opens. I believe it's 10 minutes of use per 25¢.

There's a coin slot next to the toilet, inside. A warning is sounded 2 minutes before time is up and again before the door opens. I believe it's 10 minutes of use per 25¢.

so if i put in 4 quarters from the start, i can be guaranteed that i will have 40 minutes of uninterrupted potty time?

Back